How does one create a roleplay sim?

Yasako Quan

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3098 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've been toying with the idea of opening my own someday and I was wondering how others went about it. I'd love some tips and pointers from a sim owner's perspective as well as that of the roleplayers on what works and what doesn't. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Do what you can aford. Dont go too over board. You want to keep land costs low. I am a big fan of sky platforms. They are relitivly inexp[ensive and low lag. Once you have aquired space, then it is a matter of figuring out what you enjoy best or what you think would be a good sim. Again I stress keep it reasonably priced. You dont want to be paying a fortune just for no one to  come. If you do get a place, I can reccomend a sim designer. She worked on my platform and did an awsome job. Wish oyu luck in your endevers.

Thank you for your input! I definitely want to avoid biting off more than I can chew as far as costs since I, like most, am not made of money lol I guess logic dictates that I should be relatively sure it would take off before I invest an insane amount of cash. And I, too, love sky platforms. I currently live on one and you're 100% right.

A full RP sim ... speaking of former admin experience, that is much (MUCH) more work and more headache invovled then most who want to start such places realize .. it is also lots of fun.

So the best tip is to start small and develop from there. So you will see if your ideas and your setting is actually one that works in RP before you invest into a sim. And you might meet the people who will stick with you and help to build it up.

Pick a theme and stick with it.

People will come along and tell you that the rules are to strict, that you should change things, make it more interesting to the masses... don't.

Of course you can follow advice, but if your passionate about the subject of your sim, don't change too much.

Consistincy and dedication is what will bring other people to your place.

And yes, start small.

Rent a little skybox, build a bar, a few small apartments, see how things go.

if you can pay your tier every month and have people asking if they can move in while your apartments are all rented, then you go and think about expanding, a little bit.

You need to grow a community and find people who love your sim.

I have a full region roleplay sim with tenants who have been renting apartments for almost 4 years, people don't want to leave.

Don't grow unless you're sure the sim can take it.

it is better to have a small skybox community with a few people who love and support it, then a massive region that feels almost empty or that is overrrun with people who don't respect the theme.

Also, build to realistic scale.

A prim box when rezzed is 50 by 50 by 50 centimeters, use that scale.

Make a prim as tall as you are in RL, stand next to it, make your avatar that size.

You will see that once you start building to prim scale, you can build smaller buildings and can thus put more buildings into a smaller space.

Finally, ask around if people are interested in your sim before you start.

I went to a club full of history lovers, told them my dream and people got very excited.

I created a group with a title that said everything about my plans and when I walked around SL people would ask me about my group title, if that sim was ready and if they could visit.

So before any prim was rezzed, I already knew quite a few people would be interested.

Do that, share your idea here on the forum, see what people think.

Chose land that you can control...purchase or rent....and afford. Beleive me you will need to be able to eject and ban people.

If you are doing this for fun, you might as well forget it.  You will be chief cook and bottle washer from even before you open.  Even with trusted staff, there will be many things you will need to do yourself.  You more than likely will have little time to RP yourself.

Decide before you buy/rent what type of RP you want to run?  What kind of props will you need to add to your theme?  Will you have to buy them or, make them yourself?   Will they be scripted? Will they create lag?

Set up any rules prior to opening the sim and stick with them.  Apply the rules to EVERYONE fairly...this includes friends, spouses/intimate partner and Joe public.  Giving special priviledges to friends, partners, significant others, will give you numerous headaches.

Be flexible and willing to changeyour rules because you will change and change and change for a long time to come.

Decide on your ban/eject policies.  When/why will you ban/eject?  Will you have warnings? Will it be perma-ban? Will you have an appeal process? What kind of powers will you give your Moderators?

Do you need a weapons/combat system? If you do not own or rent a whole sim, you will need to be conscious of others in the sim.  If you get a laggy combat system or, your Rpers start using up all the resources of the sim....OR, your neighbors cannot get on their land due to a full sim, be prepared to be ARed.

This list could go on and on and on. If you have never been an RP moderator or sim manager/administrator, I suggest you try doing that for awhile before you open your own RP  sim.

These are just a few of the things you can look forward to...LOL...this is not an exhaustive list.  I do not wish to discourage you simply sharing  practical experience and observing others.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3098 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.