Sign in to follow this  
Christina Halpin

Hypnosis Ethics

I am interested in the Ethics of Hypnosis.

If there can be such a thing. No one seems to agree on anything except that we should be nice.

It seems serious to me. If someone will go into a deep trance for me, and if they actually want to be abused and controlled, because they  are submissive, well... I am nice. But what about other people?

And most people aren't evil. But if they put junk into someone's mind, can't that add up? I knew someone with like 20 triggers. Isn't that a problem?

Anyway, talk to me?

Do you have any idea how dangerous it is to hypnotize someone outside of a controlled environment?

What happens if one of the triggers goes off while they are driving? or they hurt their kids because of it? Do you really want that on your conscience?

Only trained professionals should be hypnotizing anyone. And you certainly shouldn't be doing it on SL. What happens if they pass out in RL? How do you call 911 for someone you have no RL info on?

There is a difference between being a submissive in SL and being an idiot in RL. I have heard of people in SL preforming auto-erotic asphyxiation in RL on themselves with no one around to help them if something goes wrong. Why? Because their SL "Master" told them to. People in SL need to use their brains for more than getting off. 

It is actually simple

It isn't ethical to do  if you are not a trained professional

If you are, it isn't ethical to do in SL

If you are a professional and doing it in SL it is ethical to take whatever license or professional certification you hold away from you.

I had a sub in RL who uses hypnotic MP3s to better be a sub. I have always been against hypnosis. I have expierienced first hand that when she is in her trance, it is impossible to wake her up. if you dont know the safe trigger or triggers. Like anything in D/s there sould always be a safe word or some safety thing put into place. 

Okay, there are a LOT of misunderstanding here.  I'll try to clear it up, being a hypnotherapist and hypnotist for over 20 years.  In reply to the following....

@TariChar:  Yes, it can work even in SL.  Hypnosis is possible whenever there is communication.  Whether that is in-person, over the phone, voice-chat, or even text.  It's possible for an email to hypnotize someone.  Now, it varies WILDLY from person to person how suggestible and how succeptible they are.....And like most population-based things, it follows a bell-curve on each.  It also requires a certain level of cooperation and active participation, so 'just reading' the words or 'just listening' isn't quite enough.

@Drake1 & @Amethyst:  Hypnosis is not dangerous per-se.  People go in and out of hypnotic states throughout the day naturally.  And no-one ever got 'stuck' in hypnosis for very long.  ANY subject, even in a deep (or esdaile) trance will come out of it in a few hours with no direction to stay in it.  Also, I think you are basic your opinions on theraputic work, not recreational hypnosis (yes, that's what most people in SL are looking for.)

Hypnosis in SL is not 'unetheical'.  What is done by many SL hypnotists often is.  Sometimes intentionally, sometimes simply due to inexperience or ignorance.  NOBODY should be doing hypnosis (in SL or RL) without a basic grounding in psychology (which means more than just reading books or taking an introductory course in college.)  They should also have basic training in hypnosis, knowing how to deal with abreactions and such.

A dangerous suggestion almost always is short-circuited, Drake1.  Most hypnotists know to qualify suggestions which could have unwanted effects with 'as long as it is safe to do so'.  This is where finding experienced and skilled hypnotists is important.  And if someone 'passes out' from hypnosis, they'll wake up just fine in a little while.

Amethyst, it is NOT unethical to use hypnosis via online means (whether SL or other interaction) anymore than it is to use it via Skype or over the phone.  Is it unethical for a physician to make a diagnosis or prescribe medication over the phone, or via telepresence?  Of course not.  And hypnosis (due to its very nature) is considerably less regulated.  Now, no one expects a physician to perform sugery over the phone.  And no one should expect a hypnotist to perform serious hypnotherapy over the phone (or other online medium) either.  Trying to do so DOES hit the boundaries of ethics, but there are factors that may need to be considered.  And 'taking away the license' of someone on such a case really shows you aren't aware of the complexity of these issues.

And lastly, to @Christina Halpin:

Yes, there are certainly ethics in hypnosis.  The big one is "you don't do anything the subject hasn't specifically ASKED you to do."  And that means BEFORE hypnotizing them.  Another is "you don't do anything that will cause mental, emotional, or physical harm."  And that requires the hypnotist to be aware of a lot of things BEFORE hypnotizing the subject.  That's what pre-talks and interviews beforehand are for.

Being 'evil' is a point of view.  To the person who WANTS to be abused and controlled, someone being nice when they agreed to do it is 'evil'.....like the old joke about the masochist who begs "beat me!" and the sadist says ".....no."  The thing to do is to give them what they want, while keeping it safely within agreed upon boundaries.  Knowing the right questions to ask beforehand takes a bit of learning and experience.

Yes, 'stuff' done hypnotically DOES add up in a person's mind.  Now, with most people, suggestions will fade with time, especially if they aren't reinforced regularly.  Conditioning can be used to make them more 'permanent', but that's going into the realm of behavior modification, and that should be HEAVILY negotiated beforehand, as it can seriously impact the subjects RL as well.  Things that only affect them when 'in SL' are naturally a bit more flexible in this regard....but the quantity of suggestions a subject may be operating under isn't really a problem until some of them start to overlap or conflict, which can result in a variety of problems.  And the more that are left 'hanging around' the more likely some will interact or conflict with another.

@All

Hypnosis isn't evil, or dangerous.  It is a tool, and like any tool, it has to be used with respect.  The hammer we build a house with can also crush someones skull.  And someone who's only used a hammer a few times is a lot more likely to make a mistake and break a thumb or poke a nail sideways than someone who's an old pro with it.

This falls into the category of RACK.  Risk Aware Consentual Kink.  If you are interested in recreational hypnosis, there is a LARGE community available for research online.  The risk with hypnosis is minimal, but it is there.  And as with any Kink/BDSM related interaction, get to know the people you are considering playing with BEFORE you play.  Find out about their qualifications.  I know that desire for 'instant gratification' is hard to resist, but wait until you get a reference or two, and find out if your interests (recreationally) coincide.....

Helium Loon, C.H.T, L.H., A.S.C.H.