Sign in to follow this  
Faye Feldragonne

Questions about Group Liability Fees

I can't find anything about why I'm being charged for group liablity when I don't own Linden Land, other than through a private landowner. Does anyone know about this? Also, their ticket area is now so limited to what you can ask, that I can't ask about anything there. TY in advance.

Check all the groups you're a member of to see if the role you're in has the Pay Group Liabilities/Receive Group Dividends box checked.  That box is checked by default for the Everyone role when a new group is created, and if the group owner doesn't know that or forgets to uncheck it, and the group later acquires land, the group members can suddenly find themselves getting dinged.

If you're in a group that has land that shows in search, which is a fee of 30L per week, that 30L will be split among group members. I'm in a group that has 4 parcels that show in search.  That 120L is divided up among group members, even though most of us don't own any land.

Lilah Munster wrote:

... and if the group owner doesn't know that or forgets to uncheck it, and the group later acquires land, the group members can suddenly find themselves getting dinged.

This is such a bad default setting.  It also happens in reverse.  Group owners have sold land only to have the proceeds dispersed to each member of the group.  

Always be careful of the groups you join and check ALL of the roles you belong to for the group liability status. Some groups lure members in specifically to spread their fees, including the costs to buy land. If you join a group this should be the first thing you check. If any roles share liabilities, leave immediately. You will not be charged until fees are incurred. Also send a note to the group owner explaining why. Most of the time the group owner does not have a clue that the liability defaults to everyone. Also keep your eye on your expenses every week. Some owners have been known to turn on group liabilities the day they are charged and then turn them off again before any members know. It is rare but can happen. Don't be a victim, be aware!