Unpredictable mesh import

AcidJuice

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4007 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So... i have tried as you said the following test :

- Create a new blend file

- Import the dae file you made in it

- And export the cat :

- Export 1 : using avastar exporter

- Export 2 : using blender exporter

And the result is... all work (both two exports) after several attempts on both firestorm and sl viewer...

Surely, i need to be prudent, because yesterday all seemed to be ok with the "sorting vertices method" which failed today...

Anyway.. what could be deduced from that ??

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you checked your Second Life Log, specifically the areas beginning with "Collada Importer Version:" and following? It may contain some information on what specific aspect of the import or parsing process is failing or may point to a difference in behavior when it is successful.

Mine is found at C:\Users\myLoginName\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\logs\SecondLife.log on Windows7 and yours will be named the same, though possibly in a different directory.

I have this kind of things... but i dont know how to read it !?

And that seems to be relative to my last successful import session ? I dont know how it works...

[Removed... as i dont know which local information is contained here...]

I did again several import tests... and now all is doing well !! highpoly cat, lowpoly cat, lowpoly cat from Rahkis and last reimport/export in a new .blend file....

lol... how can that be ? so versatile behaviour !! :)

Perhaps I'm going out on a limb here, but one thing I noticed about your file was that it seemed to be from an avatar workbench file.

If you always start your meshes from that file, that might be the source of your problem right there. Perhaps that's the corrupt file.

What I always do is just leave a single workbench file on my computer. When I want to make a rigged mesh, I start a fresh file and bring in all of the elements i need via copy/paste.

Like, if I just need the male body/skeleton, that's all I copy/paste into my clean file..

I wonder if the bandwidth setting are also meant for uploading. I also have the impression that the uploaded data is compressed. And wouldn't loosing a packet of a compressed data make much more damage than shifting a few vertices to unexpected places ?
And what about the errors shown in the previewer ? I can not believe that this is first sent to the SL servers, then sent back for preview. But then ... how can bandwidth settings influence the preview ?

i was rather thinking that whilst the file is being upp'ed and compressed to the viewer dataloss might already have happened when bandwith is fluctuating and the settings maybe even support this bad situation. If the file gets borked already at this status, it would of course lead to the preview showing this messed up result already.

generally i think the vertice strings are the longest chains so mostly the easiest to corrupt when there is lag or struggle in the upload, and one value missing inbetween might shift one from here to there. I had some similar issue with Unreal's UDK hosted on a special serverclient, connectivity between client and server was kinda instable and we had all sorts of similar issues with our uploads.

But then for SL I am not 100 % sure if the bandwith settings also work for the uploads themselves, so i suggested it's worth a try.

You know what just hits me ? A while ago my computer did crazy things especially when i started the Second Life Viewer or other programs which need a lot of memory.  And after a few weeks of not understanding at all what is going on here, it turned out that there was a broken memory block in my computer...

yeah so true - sometimes it's the things we think of at least. And especially corrupted hardware can lead to all sorts of really weird issues that can be easily mistaken for some glicthes or bugs. Normally we assume it only when the compy stops working or having heavy hiccups, but guess we all learned that lessong along the way =)

Curiouser and curiouser; I can upload the cat file and the preview looks great each time.

I didn't change anything about your blend file at all.

I don't know if that conclusively proves there is nothing wrong with the file or not, but it's pretty convincing evidence. It certainly looks like a client-side issue since no one can re-create the issue. That's really crappy news.

Yes... all these seem to proove the problem is from my computer.... and i am really sorry to annoy you all with this so particular problem.

I did a test again this morning : all the different dae meshes we did during this thread work well today... no crazy vertices, no dark parts...

So... this is something on my computer. This is probably not a software problem (because this is not regular)...

We talked about the bandwidth or internet connection : is the bandwidth concerned at the mesh upload preview step ?

We talked about a corrupted memory in my computer : but why problems seem to focus on this only upload function ? I have no noticable problem at all with all other sl functions or any other software i daily use...

Anyway... i have no idea about how to check the computer memory... but i'll try to find that and i'll tell you.

[Edit : a little more point in response to Rahkis : my blend startup file contains only a lamp and a camera]

Several tests again this morning :

- many imports all ok on agni

- test on aditi : bad imports

- agni again : good imports !!

A question, may edge loops have an influence on the mesh loading ? (because i know some are bad on my model... but yes it works for you all...)

[Edit :

Just for "fun", i launched two viewers and two imports :

- viewer on agni : it works

- viewer on aditi : it's bad

Preview windows were opened simultanously...

]

Drongle McMahon wrote:

This is very confusing. As far as I was aware, the server should have no effect on the preview because the server doesn't get any information about the mesh until you click the Calculate button! How can it be influencing a process it doesn't even know is happening?

The knowledge base usually differentiates between what happens in the viewer and server side. And where http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Uploading-a-mesh-model/ta-p/974185 says "Levels of detail determine what your model looks like from various distances. As you get farther away from a model, it renders in less detail to boost visual performance. Second Life generates these lower detail models by default, but you may use this step to tweak each level or even upload your own lower detail models. You can preview your model at any level of detail by clicking HighMediumLow, or Lowest." (my underlining added) could imply this is a server side operation.

Hello all,

Some little news... i have rebuilt the cat (now about 10k triangles, etc) but still the same problem at preview. For instance, this morning, i never succeeded to load a mesh in aditi, and i succeeded in agni after more than 40 attempts...

Concerning the other threads i opened in the technical part of the forum... i am not allowed to do that (it is in the community guidelines and i did violate the rules opening this new thread... it is forbidden to open the same thread on several parts of the forum)... so my posts were removed and i wont have any information from it...

What could be cool may be to displace this thread on the technical part ? I dont know...

Do you know other sl forums, elsewhere, i cant attempt to find information ?

Thanks

Lemon

Hi;

At least one other person has the exactly same issues as described in this thread. I inspected the mesh of that person and again i was able to upload it with no issues. Furthermore some people from the Avastar chat forum have reported that similar issues happened to them occasionally inthe past.

I did not check in Jira but i guess this problem should be reported and at least checked by our service provider ... Lindens should chime in... I wonder if this can be explained by a server side issue at Linden labs. I can imagine that they have not just one single server running for calculating the mesh numbers but maybe a few which share the work. And the server that works for your region is possibly broken and has maybe a memory failure for example ?

Hi Gaia,

I thought about that could be depeding on the server (or subpart of it) all this run on. But if it is, that may mean that these several servers does not have all the same version ?

Nevertheless, i live near a friend of mine (both near Paris). She does meshes too and have no problem at all... and we very often upload things from the same sl location... so i dont know..

... but this is a good hypothesis (if we can verify that the server is contacted at the preview step).

I will have a look at what you called 'jira'... i dont know what it is and what can be done there, but i will check that.

So thanks to Gaia i have found some forums with the exact same problem.

On one of them, the guy said that he tried just with another computer and all was ok... so this may be local environment dependant (again this conclusion).

But as it is the same (for me) for both sl and firestom viewers, i asked myself is there are some shared componants (in windows/system or i dont know...) that may be the cause of all that ?

Does anybody know about it or where i could find this information ?

I skimmed through his thread quickly and didn't see anyone suggest this yet, so I'm repasting what I replied to Acid's JIRA issue.

This is a weird issue and I've seen it before.

This can happen for some inexplicable reason for certain people when they are running the viewer in a non-English language (or possibly the bug happens when the viewer language does not match the language of the operating system).

I see from your system information that you are running the viewer in French.

Please can you set the Viewer to run in English and relog and see if this fixes your problem.

Refs:

BUG-1405 was also fixed by changing viewer back to English

VWR-29033 - I also wonder if this is the same bug - their system info shows as running the viewer in German.

VWR-29033 also found some other workarounds and it appears to be a caching issue and there are other strange bugs with cache that occur when switching the viewers language.

Hope that helps!

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-29033 <--- that one looks really pretty much the same to whats going on here,
And would also explain why it seems almost not to matter what kind of file he uploads (density, structure of the mesh etc) when the issue appears.

The #1045 was unfortunately again one of those 'permission violations' so couldn't read it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4007 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.