Virtual Memory Runs Out Warnings

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3937 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello i got a big problem, i always get the virtual Memory Runs out warnings from time to time...

Im on Cool VL Viewer latest version,

i dont think that its a hardware problem, more a settings problem i think, im on an alienware MX17 R3 wit 8 gig ram and nvidia geforce with 2 gig ram and intel i7 core.

Does somebody know what can cause this error?

Yea, I use the Cool VL viewer too and think the version with the 3.6 renderer and the new beta version have memory leaks. I use the legacy 2.6 renderer version and the viewer doesn't suck up so much memory, infact, I could be inworld for like 6 hours and barely hit over 50% memory used.

No... it is not a viewer setting.

If WInsows says you are running out of virtual memory, it is because you are. In general that is a disk space thing. Either because your drive is literally full or the swap file has filled up its allocated space.

For a memory leaking viewer 2gb is not a lot of memory to use up. You can get the free program System Explorer to see how much memory your viewer is using. If there is a memory leak, you can see memory aloocated tot he viewer steadily increasing. You can watch the page faulting to see how much swap space is being used.

There is nothing you can do about a memory leak other than restart the viewer. System Explorer has a function that forces Windows to clean up memory use, which helps. Running clean up while running the viewer can keep you online a bit longer. But, I've found things to get wonky after the viewer uses more than 2gb of memory.

Last time I checked the SL main viewer I was holding at 600 to 900k of memory use. Memory consumption will go up and down. You should see it go down after a teleport. When it steadily increases, it is a leak.

• 2 months later...

And those of us using Cool Viewer notice that  it will give warnings of low virtual memory, when its not.

and can go upwards of a region of memory usage of 1gig for ONE program. which steadily increases.

and you will useually find with cool viewer it goes wonky after over one gig memory usuage.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3937 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.