Was my Investment into Second Life photography worth it? and what to do!.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4014 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello all, :matte-motes-kiss: 

I have a mind of pashion, creativity.  I find second Life Outstanding and wanted to make a real life profit from it. 

To enhance quality of my photography I invested in a super PC, Heres the specs.

16GB DDR3 1600 MHz Ram {Quad Channel}
8 Core AMD BullDozer 3.9 GHz
500GB Sata3 HDD
Asrock Pro3 Motherboard SLi and CrossfireX
THX Ultra IIx SoundCard
Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Sound card
ATI HD Radion 5770 4GBGDDR5 Graphics card with ATIeyeInfinity 3 monitor setup and HDMI.
CaseCom GamersCase with LED Lights
750Watts 8Pin PSU by EvoLabs
Windows 7 X64 Ultimate Genuine. 
DVD RW+ Sata3 Optical drive.

42" Full HD 3D Acer Monitor

What I planned was to produce and make more HQ photos simultaniously and fast, therefore enhancing Income.

My issue was, That Firestorm just cant use all of this PC's power, and is there a Viewer out there {For high end Photos and movies} that could take advantage of such power?

Look forward to hearing from everyone and thanks for helping out <3 xxx. :heart:

Which graphics software will you be using & how proficient in that sofware are you?

Also, making an rl living in sl is possible however, I think you should have done the research and asked the questions first, before making an investment.  Photography in sl is one of the most competitive biz's in sl & a lot of residents take their own photos.

The other thing that I think  you need to take into consideration, is that sl is not like rl when it comes to biz.  There are few if any regulations and you are depending on another company, Linden Lab, for your income.  There are any number of issues out there to deal with that you would not have in rl.  The main one that I know of, is the timing of taking your money out of sl widely varies.  I've heard of people cashing out, only to have to wait up to 3 weeks before they receive it.  There are more things to consider but too many to list here.

IMO if you want to make a rl income from photography, then I would highly recommend doing this in RL.

TimothyWilliams wrote:

Thanks for the Tip,
:)
. Appretiated! 

Also is it actualy possible to make Photography a Real Life income from SL?

Of course working my A"" off. 

As with all creative efforts in SL-

Do it for beauty.

Do it for love

If you make some money

Thank god above.

• Like 1

Bottom line?  I would recommend anyone starting a biz in sl to only invest $ that you can afford to lose.  If you have a product that residents want, they will buy it.  If you find that your biz is flatlining or staying the same with regards to profitability I would still recommend NOT investing more than you can lose. 

If you are earning a ton of money in sl and find that you can fund your rl?  Awesome however, I would also have a backup job in rl.  If LL shut their doors & you have $ in sl?  You will most likely not see it again.

This is in reply to your software post.

This is good. 

The first thing that pops into my mind is logos for biz's in sl. There are always a ton of start ups & it has been my experience, that logos in world have rl value so you can charge an appropriate price.   The other areas  you mention, skins in particular are another that I would recommend.  I believe there are many niches in skins that have not been tapped.

All of this of course is my own personal opinion.

Do you also offer them the actual image? 

Logos on a prim without giving them the actual full perms texture would I think be very inexpensive.  Even though the customer can easily take a pic of the image, they still don't have the product that has the value - the image full perms of course.

Also, getting customers is everyone's bane in sl.  You will have to do plenty of research on this.  

TimothyWilliams wrote:

yes indeed, I also make mesh logos, at a low prim. I have wonderd if this is a great start point. 

I just need to find a good way to attract clients. 

Does the customer tell you what they want you to build that will sport the logo?  I used to do logos in sl & always the end prouct was a full perms texture so they can apply this themselves.

TimothyWilliams wrote:

It will be up to the client. But yes, Full perms

Am not sure I am understanding.  When a customer buys a logo, they almost always just want the texture so they can apply it to various places.  On their mp sotre, on their in world store front, on the products they sell perhaps ... are just a couple of places that an inworld business uses their logo. 

I suppose I am just curious as to what you mean by mesh writing.  if this is a mesh object in world, how do they apply the texture to all the other things they need?  Also, what would they want you to build?  Like a sign perhaps?

TimothyWilliams wrote:

yes indeed, I also make mesh logos, at a low prim. I have wonderd if this is a great start point. 

I just need to find a good way to attract clients. 

I had a few more thoughts on the subject of getting customers.  One of the things that many photographers in sl have is a Flicker site and/or any other site that shares images.  Another is to find galleries in sl to showcase your work.

For the web photo sharing sites, maybe add a watermark to your images so nobody can steal them.

Two employees of the same magazine were at the water cooler.

The writer looked at the photographer and said "Your pictures in the most recent issue were amazing!  You must have a good camera."

The photographer looked at the writer and said "Your article was great too.  You must have a good typewriter."

• Like 2

Nice job, I was wondering though if you got any of the work I ordered about a month ago as well my friends done. I havent heard anything from you for almost 2 weeks. If you are reallly busy a refund would be nice, I understand the pressures of the business world but I dont want to have to wait for over a month. Thanks hun! As well as my friend has been waiting over a month. Sorry to ask you here but you havent answered her or I messages in a few weeks now and I know I havent been hasseling you, Please be honest or just refund me and Ill go away. I rather we stay friends though and be able to order in the future.

• Like 1

Your investment is great, but you have to do many things besides getting an awesome pc, work hard and listen other people's experiences and you can cash out nice amounts from doing pics in SL, if you can sustain from buying tons of things you'll never use.

Just remember few things;

• you have to treat every client like its your first and last one
  • to earn a lot, you have to spend a lot
  • word of a mouth is the most powerful advertising tool
  • noone will force you to learn, you have to do it alone
  • but you can't succeed alone.

I started as a sales rep in one studio not knowing what really means to edit sl pics and after a year I opened my own place which, to my surprise, still works really cool lol. So yes I do earn and I am pretty happy with my pics business, if you want to chat about it or get some tips contact me in-world, I would be happy to help you. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4014 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.