Can I give away my creations?

Nepharious Wiskee

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4020 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

2 answers to this question

Yes.  You made them.  You may do anything you like with them.  However, that's not necesarily the important question.  Should you make something for one person and then sell it or give it to someone else?

When I create something for a client, I always try to be clear that I retain the intellectual property rights on it. If I am making something for the client to sell, however, I will promise not to sell the same thing to someone else.  It's an exclusive creation.  That often means that it will cost the client more than something that I could sell myself many times, but that's the deal I make as I decide what to charge.  In my mind, once I have agreed to make an exclusive product, it would not be ethical to break my word.

• Like 2

Of course you can!  I have given free copies of several of my new builds to friends...either for fun, or to have them "use test" the product.  Then, if they like it, up it goes on the Marketplace.

As Rolig says, though, if you are working *under an agreement* to build something for someone, you should make it clear between you who has what rights in the end product.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4020 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.