viewer not working under gnu/linux

IlCalle

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4016 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello, it's a while I am trying to run second life, I switched to gnu/linux 32 bit OS, but now I have this error:

libGL error: failed to load driver: i965
libGL error: Try again with LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose for more details.
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
libGL error: Try again with LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose for more details.

I checked and I have the driver i965 installed. What can it be and what should I do? I tiried al the viewer from SL, plus another 3 or 4 viewer from other developers, but still nothing happens.

I have an emperor laptop from thinkpenguin...

I really would love to try second life but is hard to make this viewer working

Well to my eyes it was always so simple..

1rst Delete everything concerns SL from your pc.. there is no reason for lost space.

2nd.. In the bottom of this page it says:

Just click that and download the Current Version witch is whatever best SL has to provide us with.

No need to do anything more than install the version you just downloaded and start living in world!

Welcome!

TDD123 I actually met a guy with my same laptop that told me he was running SL, I hope he did not lied to me :matte-motes-stress:I found this topic

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Second-Life-Viewer/SL-Linux-Viewer-Not-working-in-Any-Mint-14-version-Do-you-know/m-p/1875961/highlight/false#M18007

but I don't get how to install the proprietary drivers. Anyway, I can wait some more years when I'll get a new PC to try SL, I guess it will always be here. It's years that I don't get how to use SL...

Gnu/linux, really? I'm curious what lead to that choice of distro.

Anyway, if you're still up to investigating this further, you said "I checked and I have the driver i965 installed." How did you check, and for which drivers did you check?

The i965 is never going to be good at SL, and it's not even listed as an option for SL on Linux, but if somebody else actually has it running, the output of "LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose glxinfo" command might be informative.

IlCalle wrote:

TDD123 I actually met a guy with my same laptop that told me he was running SL, I hope he did not lied to me :matte-motes-stress: ... but I don't get how to install the proprietary drivers.

Hmmmh ... is it this one ?

Well .. .maybe I'm a bit too harsh on that GPU . There are Youtubes that show it does some fair amount of 3D gaming and is DirectX 9c compatible. I see no direct indication the guy claiming it lied to you on forehand.

Try this website : https://01.org/linuxgraphics/ . I don't know what distro you are using but perhaps  drivers there will help you unlock 3D capabilities for your GPU within Linux. You do need to know what you are doing within your OS to get these to work. No guarantees.

I still think you're waisting time on it though if pursuing this ... :robotindifferent: 

Good luck.

Qie Niangao wrote:

.... and it's
as an option for SL on Linux ...

True, it's not listed specifically but the page does state 'Intel chipsets less than a 945 including Intel Extreme will not work'.

i965 might.  I agree it won't be spectacular. But it just might.

ETA : Just read this GPU compares to a Geforce 6150. Ouch .. not good .. :robotindifferent:  That's  a little less than minimum requirements for SL.

I am using linux mint mate nadia, I usually other distro but since I don't really like ubunto I gave this one a try even if it would not be spectacular I am still willing to play here, I am used to the graphics of bzflags, that are not really that spectacular.

That guy told me he used trisquel, that is always ubuntu based.

TDD123 I will try to look at the link you gave me, I am pretty curios about SL, the only reason I am using linux mint is to play SL :matte-motes-big-grin: otherwise dragora would be my choice of OS mainly because I like their logo :matte-motes-big-grin:

While I was writing this post you wrote that is not good for second life this chipset :matte-motes-bored: I opened the discussion in a pop up and noticed your last post... I guess I'll have to wait untill I can afford a better PC... I'll have more time for working on my art projects then.

Yes the laptop I have is that one TDD123, I like that a lot, nice keyboard, nice screen size, and is not made by foxxcon, I like indipendent companies, and of course I love free sofware. There is a post about that laptop here, with what thinkpenguin said about the construction of their laptop.

I might contact thinkpenguin on this matter, they might be able to help me on this, at least I'll learn something new, I use the PC mainly for leaning some free sofware skills. To be honest they already gave me some tips on this, but I am probably not skilled enough to apply the changes by myself

IlCalle wrote:

TDD123 ...  the only reason I am using linux mint is to play SL :matte-motes-big-grin: otherwise dragora would be my choice of OS.

I guess I'll have to wait untill I can afford a better PC... I'll have more time for working on my art projects then.

If SL is the reason you want to buy a laptop, don't stare yourself blind on the distribution, but consider the hardware ( which usually comes down to buying something with NVidia or ATI GPUs inside instead of Intel ) .

I'm not knocking your laptop / configuration, I'm sure it's a nice little machine. SL is just outside of it's scope, especially under Linux in this case.

Still .. happy computing .. :robotwink:

do you have a suggestion on a pc for second life? Some used model can do the trick? I am not really interested in having spectacular graphic I am more interested in learning how to code in second life, I am kind of a geek nerdy person.

It is years I don't follow the hardware, I guess a trip to a local store could do the trick. Hopefully I can get something used at a fair price.

Graphics don't need to be spectacular on SL to run it, but some minimal 3D acceleration is required. Refer to the list Qie mentioned in his post about minimal hardware requirements for SL on any OS.

If your 'rig' at least has this graphical minimum, you'll be able to run SL. There is so much variety in availiability, either new or used, that I cannot possibly give advice to you regarding your next purchase.

I disagree it is a useless list to the OP when considering second hand hardware to minimally run SL on a linux distribution.

I agree the list is very outdated and not on par with current hardware, but find it is still somewhat useable as a reference when shopping for a cheap used machine like the OP desires.

ETA : And yes , a lot on the list is currently considered scrapheap hardware.

I still haven't figured out how to quote in this forum :)

Qie asked me

Gnu/linux, really? I'm curious what lead to that choice of distro.

pretty much because I love free sofware, and I don't understand why I should pay for an OS when I can use one for free :) being a geek helped this decision too. I am curios. I like what Stallman says in this video

Thanks to all of you for your suggestion, for the moment I'll 'play' with udacity, maybe in the future you'll see me around in SL too. Who knows! Looks like a lot of fun.

I am going to try the textual viewer, I read that exist maybe is going to be fun anyway.

Oh, heh, I learned something new, and remembered something else that I'd long ago repressed.

I'd completely forgotten the "Linux" vs "GNU/Linux" naming controversy, and had never noticed that Mint adopted the "GNU/Linux" variant.

Anyway, perhaps one step up from a textual viewer, if you happen to have a reasonably capable Android device on hand, you might try Lumiya. It's certainly not all that one could want from an SL viewer, but it's surprisingly capable as a way to see much of what SL is about. Lumiya isn't quite free, but considering the amount of work and innovation that went into it, I think it's an outstanding value among apps.

Qie, I don't really know if Linux Mint adopted the GNU/Linux variant, I like to write it this way, so probably more people will be aware of the gnu project, I believe that is always right to give credit. Without the GNU compiler Linux would  not exist, as RMS says is just a program running on top of GNU :matte-motes-nerdy: <-this is definitely my fav emoticon here!

Thanks for the Lumiya tip, I like the free as in speech philosophy, not only the free as in beer one. :) I have no problem on buying something, especially if is right priced sofware and has value too!

\I don't have an adroid device yet, but I was already considering buying one. What is a reasonably capable one? openpandora for example? But the screen might be to small for SL.

I am really looking forward to visit SL!

That's a cute device, but I'm not any kind of gamer myself, so I just meant something general-purpose with a reasonably modern CPU running a reasonably recent version of Android. I have a crappy old Motorola Atrix 4G phone and it does okay with Lumiya, but I'm getting very tired of Gingerbread, so I've been thinking of maybe a Nexus 7 tablet to bridge the gap until I can replace the phone with whatever gets announced at Google I/O to run Key Lime Pie (once that gets to Canada's third-world wireless carriers).  My problem is there are already two non-Android tablets in the house, so it seems a little silly to add yet another.

Wanna run SL on Linux? Go for something with an nVidia Graphics card, and use the non-free nVidia proprietary graphics drivers.

Intel is too low perf amd lacks of useable 3d capable Linux drivers and AMD/ATI drivers and Linux are natural enemies anyway.

Android mobile toy devices  can give you no real  immersive 3d sl experience, as Android devices are meant as  communication tools ( phone, IM,  chat) and web content consumption machines and always lack  usable  3d capable graphics card.

There are Linux distros out there that offer  proprietary graphics drivers out of the box, Sabayon Linux (Gentoo Based) or Manjaro Linux (Arch based)  are examples of such distros.

J.

That's a good reality check. I certainly never meant to suggest buying an Android device just to run Lumiya on, and now fear I may have left that impression.

I'm curious though: Is it really the case that nobody has gotten an SL viewer to run with Mesa drivers on an Intel GPU? It would be dead slow, of course, but it seems weird that it would be impossible.

Qie Niangao wrote:

I'm curious though: Is it really the case that nobody has gotten an SL viewer to run with Mesa drivers on an Intel GPU? It would be dead slow, of course, but it seems weird that it would be impossible.

There's an Intel-driver for Mesa 9.1 which itself supports OpenGL 3.1. The OP said she knew someone running SL on an Intel 965. Could be possible.

Yet usually Intel releases GPUs that focus more on 2D / HD - video ( h264 ) than 3D functions. 3D on mobile devices are usually stripped from hardware functions ( like T&L or shaders ) or not implemented fully in comparison to NVidia / AMD - GPUs. Which comes down that a new generation Intel GPUs usually underperform compared to the others.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4016 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.