My tips on post processing in Photoshop

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4021 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I thought I would share some of the different techniques I use when post procession a photo I took in SL in photoshop. I won't go step by step on a particular pic - every photo requires unique steps but there are a few things I generally always do. 

First, let me say, I spend a bit of time in world composing each shot and getting the windlight settings just where I want them

Crop (and resize) Cropping is kinda important, how the photo will be composed. I used standard aspect ratios too - 16:9, 2:1, 4:3, 3:2 or 1:1. Most of my landscapes now are 16:9. I size them all to a max width of 1024px

Curves adjustment layer. Curves can be used in multiple ways, but general I will boost the highlights and to increase overall brightness. I may also use a curve adjustment layer to selectively brighten or darken a particular area using the layer mask

Selective color adjustment layer. I general start with black adjusting the amount, then whites, then each color. Sometimes I will shift the colors, but in most cases just use the Black level slider to get certain colors to pop

Hue/Saturation adjustment layer. I use this so selectively enhance or shift colors if needed, or to shift the color range of the entire image

Vibrance adjustment layer - this is subtle, but does add a little to the overall pop. Usually I set vibrance up around 50, then slowly boost the saturation level

Dodge/Burn. I would say Dodge/Burn is the most effective method of making localized changes and really creating the 'pop'  My method here involves using 2 layers (one named Dodge, one Burn) filled with 50% gray and set to Overlay. Then use a White brush on the Dodge layer for highlight enhancement (set VERY low, about 6-8%) and Black on the Burn layer for shadow enhancement, again set very low. If I mess up or go to far, simply repaint the area with 50% gray. I will on occasion use the Dodge brush, set on Highlights, about 6%, to brush over the tips of grass or plants where the sun hits it, or, on water reflections (of course on a duplicated layer)

Layer blending. Sometimes photos need more punch. Setting a layer to Softlight will provide that, but sometimes, dark areas can be too dark. Setting the layer below to Screen and adjusting the opacity of that layer just might do the trick

Sharpening. There are entire books devoted to sharpening in PS. The technique I use is High Pass Sharpening (Filter>Other>Highpass). Duplicate the background, move it to the top layer. To sharpen, set the level to 1 to 1.2 and the set the layer blending mode to Overlay, or, Hard Light to really lick up the sharpening. I always then add a layer mask and paint out sharpening in areas I don't want it or scale it back, such as a persons body or face, and , I mask out any 'halos' I might get around certain edges

This same High Pass can be used in the opposite direction too. Set high pass to about 10-15, invert the layer, and set blending to Overlay, reduce opacity to taste, then by adding a layer mask, I can paint out certain areas. This technique is great for creating a soft, dreamy, foggy feel. Also is a great technique to soften skin on a avis face, give it that 'glamour glow'. Using that method, I would paint in the softening effect where needed

And in most cases my 'secret weapon' is texture overlay. In most cases, I go for a more photo-realistic look, though on occasions I will create an abstract look. I have a couple mid brown textures I use most often, I apply about a 30 Gaussian blur to them, then set the layer blending to Overlay. I will also use Variations on the textures to shift the color balance, decrease saturation or lighten/darken as needed. Again, I might also use a layer mask to paint out areas I don't want affected

Hope some may find this useful!

Here are a couple examples unedited on top and edited on bottom

elk-unedited.jpg

elk.jpg

moon4-unedited.jpg

moon4.jpg

• Like 6

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4021 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.