Anyone know if nvidia geforce gt 710m graphic will run well in ultra settings in sl?

Jayydin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4021 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

9 answers to this question

I don;t know for sure since it's brand new to the market and have heard of no reviews on that particular card.  It's possible that someone here has that card and can give some first hand knowledge (again, it's brand new so that's a iffy thing).  I can tell you that the way NVidia  assigns model numbers to their cards (/AMD, formerly ATI, do much the same) makes it a very probable no to your question concerning "ultra" settings.  NVidia's model numbering is straight forward and pretty simple.  The first number says the card is a 7 series card (the latest series NVidia has released)........it tells you nothing about performance.  The second (and sometimes the third) number will tell you the most about the performance of the card.  1 being the lowest and 9 being the highest.  The second number in the 710 card is a 1.........the lowest performing card in the series.  There are also letter designations that NVidia assigns to it's card.  GT, GTS, and GTX.  Those designations are relatively unimportant but they do determine minor differences within any card.  A GTS is slightly "better" than a GT and a GTX is slightly "better" than a GTS.  You have a GT designation.........again, at the bottom of the heap.

I would feel comfortable telling you that the card will work for SL use but at ultra?  No, I'm afraid it won't make the grade.  Medium settings at the most for a decent experience in SL.  Anything more than medium and you're going to get a lot of texture lag (even possible disconnects or crashes).  Just because the card is brand new to the market does not make it a better performing card than an older series.  My GTX 550 Ti card will out perform your brand new GT 710 M..........by a long shot too.  For ultra settings in SL look at cards at or above mid range (5 or higher on the second number)..........the closer you are to the high level card the better the performance at ultra (a GTX 790 would be best......but that's going to cost a heap of USD's).

• Like 3

You're more than welcome. It's a common misunderstanding for people who simply have no reason to know things like the performance of a video card. The computer makers do know yet they exploit this ignorance on the consumers' part by implying that the card is the "latest" from NVidia.........yeah it is. But it's also the lowest performing of that new series. I actually think that sort of stuff falls into the "truth in advertising" area........but, evidently, it does not. Shame on those manufacturers.

Good luck with your computer purchase. :)

I didn't mention that because laptops are becoming so popular that it simply won't make much difference to most people. Sort of like iPhone and other smart phones.........they are good but it's debatable about if they are the best. If someone wants the iPhone then it's going to be the best no matter what anyone says. Besides I'm not sure it's a complete performance level lower anymore.........the GPU manufacturers are specing stuff a little differently, I think. Like the bra makers and their sizing for cups. Disception at best.

Stay as far away from NVIDIA Ge Force graphics cards if you wish to continue to us SL.  I have it on my computer and the card crashed.  There is no help from NVIDIA, Samsung (my oem) or Microsoft on this issue.  Any time I try to log onto firestorm or SL viewer I get too many errors have occurred with the NVIDIA driver.  I cant even get to the log in page.  I have updated the driver and its no help.  The only program I cant run is Second Life due to the NVIDIA graphics card.

You just trashed a very well known (and reputable) company who has developed and manufactured video cards for years. A company that (along with ATI, now AMD) advanced the graphics technology to the point that it is today. You made a claim that it's entirely NVidia's fault that you cannot use SL any longer. Do you know that there are thousands of NVidia users using SL right at this moment? Thousands, not hundreds. How do you explain that? You, a single user, have issues yet thousands others do not. Perhaps you need to learn a little about what you are talking about before you speak such non-sense. Every graphics card manufacturer in business makes cards/adapters (the proper term is Graphics Processor Unit or GPU) for users to choose from for different tasks the user has a need for. You pick the lowest end GPU (which is also the cheapest) for a demanding task (such as SL), you'll have issues. That holds true for any GPU, regardless of who manufactured it (NVidia, AMD/ATI, Intel, Asus........you name it).

So you've been in SL for 3 years. Hey that and my over 7 years will buy both of us a cup of coffee at Denny's......as long as be both fork over $1.69. You don't know that you are talking about and the years in SL make no difference either.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4021 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.