Viewer stopped working

Jenson Baily

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4027 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Help!

I have been logging on succesfully every day for the last few weeks, but today, my viewer simply crashes in the middle of the startup process, i.e. before it gets to the login screen.

I have tried other viewers but they all behave in exactly the same way.

I don't know if it is any help, but interestingly my Yahoo Messenger is bahaving the same!

I have checked that I have the correct and most up-to-date drivers for all my hardware and have also checked that I have the latest versions of Java, Quicktime and Flash.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Further information

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I have 8Gb of RAM and 1Tb free on my HDD, on a Windows 7 machine.

My internet speed is 50Mbs (Cable) 

I checked my antiviris and that wasn't blocking anything and checked that all relevent programs were listed in my Firewall.

The problem still exists.

I restored my system to 2 days ago, and hey presto it worked!

My worry now is that there will be an update and I will find the same thing happens again!

4 answers to this question

Welcome to Second Life Answers, Jenson.

To me, it sounds like you might be having some issues with your internet connection, but certainly it's always useful to check your drivers and software versions are the most up-to-date. 

Maybe there are more users now sharing your internet connection than there used to be, hence the difference in performance.  (I get a vastly difference performance from my internet during peak hours and weekends). 

Check also that you have sufficient ram on your computer, as over time your hard drive can become so full, this can cause issues. 

There will be other responses, so please check back here regularly. Also, if you wish to add more to this thread, you can do so by clicking on "options" at the top right hand corner of your original post and "edit".

• Like 2

In addition to Marigolds good answer,

maybe also check your firewall and antivirus. Sometimes when they get automatic updates they tend to block applications that have been formerly allowed again. (i have that regularly with my SL viewer)

in such a case make sure to create a new rule / or edit the rule for the viewer.exe, slplugin.exe, and sl.voice.exe again.(and in your personal case possibly also the yahoo messenger) : )

• Like 2

yeah been having that issue quite often myself or seen happening with others : )

In addition to the firwalls and their own updates - my firewall even detects every update of the SL viewer itself as a new potentially risky application, and isolates it. I don't know why, it doesn't do that with most of the other programs. SL's file signature seems to change signifficant enough to not be associated anymore after a viewer update.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4027 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.