Would WWII aircraft with 'Kill marks' displaying the Nazi Swastika be violating TOS?

ZoraSlade Karu

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3470 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I'm creating a historically accurate WWII fighter P-51D Mustang which will incorporate famous paint schemes for Allied fighter groups who fought during WWII as a tribute.

Some of the artwork and/or symbols that these pilots had added to their planes carried the Nazi Swastika as a "kill" or victory marking. A lot of my intended replica paint schemes are commonly flown at airshows around the world, some of which still carry the Swastika as a victory marking.

My question is (this being an intended historically accurate and educational experience for Second Life) would the intention of a Swastika symbol (being used for benign reasons) being displayed on a WWII era aircraft be in violation of the TOS?

5 answers to this question

Sorry no Lindens here.  We are only residents here like you,  We therefore can't give you a definitive answer only personal opinions.

I have heard of incidents where Nazi items have been removed from the grid in the past. I have also never seen items with swastikas on them in world or the marketplace either.

This provision from Section 8.2 of the TOS may be the key:

(vi) Post, display or transmit Content that is obscene, hateful, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable;

Obviously seeing Nazi symbols would be objectionable to a number of ethnicities and nationalities but then again in the context you are talking about they may not be.  

If I were you I'd try to email the Commerce Team and ask for a ruling in writing.  If you get no reply, to be safe you may wish to use another marking on the planes and include a notecard explaining that in RL they were swastikas that were used to designate victories.

• Like 4

Zora,

I was looking at pictures my father took/collected during WWII at an English Air base and noticed that the Ace "Kill" decals/paint were usually either

1) The outline of the aircraft type shot down with a Iron Cross in it The shape denoted it it was a bomber or fighter[

~ or ~

2) just the Iron Cross arrayed as a count.

I don't see any swastikas at all on the sides of of Allied planes/aircraft in these pictures.

If you use the above renditions you should be fine.

Mind you I don't have any P-51D Mustangs in this picture set at all and the pictures are all in B&W.

I'm pretty sure that in the context you wish to display that symbol that you will be ok. The use as you are planning in the display of this symbol does not intrinsically speak of any form of anti-Semitic or hate-speech. It is in-fact a representation of this type of aircraft in a region as a  museum context.

I own 2 planes with swastikas freely available on MP they have been up there for months if not years and as for it being historically accurate it most certainly is .. If your not into the time period or know nothing about the plane why answer. It was common practise to put them on the side of the aircraft to denote kills as it still is today with other nationalities.. I still don't know if its really against TOS in context and have the same issue with something on my sim but I am considering taking the image down as it really adds nothing except the historical accuracy .. Censorship at its finest. you cant change history by removing the object it exsisted wether I like it or not. Seems silly but apparently we would rather hide it than show how it really was... because thats too much like RL... Wonder if the Russian flag based on the Attrocities they commited is against TOS or any of the other Jihad hate flags I have seen qualify as well???

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3470 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.