Stop whining about the ads please

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3996 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just to tidy it up...

Seeing ads threads doesn't bug me a bit. Seeing so many 'LL is in the wrong because I don't want to be advertised to' threads is what bugged me.

Finally, my only argument has been that the website owner (LL) can put whatever they want on their site. It is entirely their own business and nobody else's. And that argument is cast is stone.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't read the whole thread so forgive me if I am going over other peoples comments. 

Quote from OP

"The ads are nobody's business but LL's. They are not your business and they are nothing to do with you, so get over it"

That's a contradiction if ever I read one! lol

They're everything to do with "us" they're aimed at "us" in the hopes that "we" will be swayed by them.

That said, they are not intrusive or "pop ups" so I just ignore them. 

However, I suspect people who complain; "They have a premium account, they should not have to be exposed to them" believe this based on their experiences of places like IMVU.com and indeed many other types of  websites that use the adverts (Or rather the removal of them off the persons profile, marketplace view etc) as an incentive to upgrade to a paid/premium/VIP account. 

Which if you think about it,  to use the loss of adverts as an incentive to pay for a premium account is testiment that "they" know that people don't like the adverts or why else offer to remove them for a fee?

Maybe Linden Labs will also follow suit on this in time. 

I don't care either way. :)

I did wonder when I first saw them "wow times must be hard" but then again, as I say, this is a business model IMVU.com have always used and IMVU.com (like it or loath it) has over 100,000 people logged in at most times and NO FREEBIES on their marketplace.

But that's another forum debat...  

Phil Deakins wrote:

Finally, my
only
argument has been that the website owner (LL) can put whatever they want on their site. It is entirely their own business and nobody else's. And
that argument is cast is stone

Haha no. But please, try and find citation for a US-operated website being able to provide any content they choose (in your words, "whatever they want") without moral or legal repurcussions.

I will wait :D

(In case there's an issue in keeping track, conceding that there are limitations to what is acceptable in terms of website content also agrees with my argument that it's not only LL's business, and that there are situations in which us as users of the service would also have an interest in content served via the secondlife.com website.)

Alright, I'll rephrase it...

Finally, my only argument has been that the website owner (LL) can put whatever they want, within the law, on their site. It is entirely their own business and nobody else's. And that argument is cast is stone.

Now it's cast in stone.

LillyBeth Filth wrote:

"The ads are nobody's business but LL's. They are not your business and they are nothing to do with you, so get over it"

That's a contradiction if ever I read one! lol

They're everything to do with "us" they're aimed at "us" in the hopes that "we" will be swayed by them.

<Sigh> I don't know if one or two people are intentionally twisting what I write in this thread, but it is obvious that "nothing to do with you" in that sentence means that whether or not the ads are placed on the website is nothing to do with you. I.e. it's not your decision, you don't get a vote, etc. It's as much 'nothing to do with you' as the colour of carpet that I choose for my own living room.

Heh Phil Lighten Up, this is an open forum ok, if many people dont like add on SL get over it to the fact many voice thier diseproved shows its a valid point as to the ones that don't mind but to quote "f you don't like seeing them, you don't have to see them," "so stop being so self-centred" ect ect, sounds to me either you have  a vested interested in the add, or you some sort of dictator that maybe loves to be in control what people like to voice or not, BTW this are my personal view,

as for Add I really dont care what Sl place on the site it's thier to do so,  so maybe you should to stop whinning and allow people to say what they want,   we are in a  free democratic place  are we not Phill

This thread is nothing to do with whether or not people like the ads. It is entirely to do with people starting threads because they actually believe that they have right not to have ads on the website, and so LL is in the wrong for putting ads on the site. Unbelievably, they actually think that, because they use the site, they have right not be advertised to when using it. They whine about it because they believe they are being wronged. This thread is saying stop whining about it.

16 wrote:

including 
 of their information collection.

accepted. thanks. I stop whining now

is quite clear. the policy says accept it or don't use the service. so thats it. oh! well

No! No! Don't sigh 16. /hugs

Look at the part I left in. Opt out is law in the U.S.

It's what I am always raving about when in world stores spam people with ads. *Must include opt out information in every mailing* 

I wasn't thinking of data mining when I said the ads are OK with me. Then again I am now getting used to Big Brudda and the Big Eye and cookies I can't eat.

Phil: Not enough bots in this thread! Not nearly enough bots.

greek Wingtips wrote:

Heh Phil Lighten Up, this is an open forum ok, if many people dont like add on SL get over it to the fact many voice thier diseproved shows its a valid point as to the ones that don't mind but to quote "
f you don't like seeing them, you don't have to see them," "
so stop being so self-centred" ect ect, sounds to me either you have  a vested interested in the add, or you some sort of dictator that maybe loves to be in control what people like to voice or not, BTW this are my personal view,

as for Add I really dont care what Sl place on the site it's thier to do so,  so maybe you should to stop whinning and allow people to say what they want,   we are in a  free democratic place  are we not Phill

"we are in a  free democratic place"

No we are not.

We are in the Second Life Forums.

There is absolutely nothing Democratic about these Forums.

steeljane42 wrote:

They didn't even put any system to hide ads from paying (premiumd) users I believe. You know, like streaming sites do. Google twitch.tv and check how their subscription/turbo system works. If you're too lazy, then short version: you subscribe either to certain channels or just buy "turbo" for 15$ a month and you never see ads, but system still count ads you would've seen, so streamers and site still getting profit.

Yahoo mail does the same thing...I suspect many businesses do.  I definitely think Premium members should not have to see the ads (Adblock notwithstanding)...and I'm not even Premium. ;)

Melita Magic wrote:

Would love to hear about what it was like in live court for one of this century's most notorious trials. Feel free to IM me.
:D

Will do.  It wasn't even the day in court itself that was...interesting...but all the hoops one had to jump through to even get a seat in court.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

I honestly don't see why these threads bother you so much, Phil.  Everyone has their own opinions and are entitled to them.  I'm quite sure if someone started a thread saying "Stop <talking about something that you enjoy>" you'd jump right in there and say, "Don't like it, don't read it."

I'm jumping in.  Sorry, Phil - methinks thou dost protest too much.

They don't really bother me. It's just that new threads keep getting started, saying the same thing which is effectively that LL should not put ads on their own website. The idea is stupid and self-centred and I posted an opinion.

Hai there Phil. :)  Quick break from the Jodi Arias trial...I'm not commenting on your posting your opinion on the threads, just that it sounded like a "command."  I actually was thinking I wish there was a way to gather all these new threads into one big thread on the subject, so I'm with you on that point, but we've seen that happen with other subjects as well...I think it's the aftermath of reaction from people who didn't catch it the first time around.

Ie. - A year after the mixed listings bug was discovered (which still continues a year later as well) people are still posting on the Merchant Forum that they "just discovered" this.

hey phil -

It's hard to believe [you started a thread] to complain about [threads about ads]. To [you]...

The [threads] are nobody's business but [the OP]'s. They are not your business and they are nothing to do with you, so get over it.

If you don't like seeing them, you don't have to see them, so stop being so self-centred. Stop whining about them, and mind your own business.

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

I honestly don't see why these threads bother you so much, Phil.  Everyone has their own opinions and are entitled to them.  I'm quite sure if someone started a thread saying "Stop <talking about something that you enjoy>" you'd jump right in there and say, "Don't like it, don't read it."

I'm jumping in.  Sorry, Phil - methinks thou dost protest too much.

They don't really bother me. It's just that new threads keep getting started, saying the same thing which is effectively that LL should not put ads on their own website. The idea is stupid and self-centred and I posted an opinion.

Hai there Phil.
:)
  Quick break from the Jodi Arias trial...I'm not commenting on your posting your opinion on the threads, just that it sounded like a "command."  I actually was thinking I wish there was a way to gather all these new threads into one big thread on the subject, so I'm with you on that point, but we've seen that happen with other subjects as well...I think it's the aftermath of reaction from people who didn't catch it the first time around.

Ie. - A year after the mixed listings bug was discovered (which still continues a year later as well) people are still posting on the Merchant Forum that they "just discovered" this.

Point taken, Czari - so I've changed the title of the thread by adding the word 'please' and it no longer gives the impression of being a command :)

It would have been better at the front but I put it at the end because putting it at the front would reduce the title's impact - I think :)

Hmm, would you rather pay for secondlife ? Because thats where we are heading without the ads. You don't pay a dime, to keep the grid running so i would just deal with it, instead of acting like a baby about things you can easily fix yourselves. LL is no one's babysitter, just like with any company or anyone you have to do whats best for you.

This is hilarious  I never noticed the spam adds they run since I normally do not go to the main page and use a shortcut to log into my account then my default window is sized to only observe my active page. I actually had to go look for the spam adds.

Maybe I have developed an immunity to this type of advertising since a small part of the add is visible at the edge of my cropped screen

If you do not like them size the window to eliminate most of their content

this really cracks me up the fact that I had to go look for them ))

The alternative is that you can pay 14.95 to 19.95 for the pleasure of playing SL

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't read the full 10 pages of replies to this, and obviously I've been a little blind having only just noticed the ad's popping up on the second life market place.  However there are a couple of things that in all honesty are not really doing much good.

1) Whomever it was that says people don't pay LL anything towards running Second Life,  - WRONG!.  Premium accounts for a start, the commission taken every time you make a purchase on the marketplace.  The people who buy the sims.  If NO-ONE paid anything towards the gird for Second LIfe, then LL would be out of business years ago.

Note:-  Not intending to start big flames or rants etc, just stating the fact that the community DOES pay LL and thus we as a community have a right to complain and comment on it, whether or not LL choose to take any notice is another story.

2) The ad's themselves look like someone has simply slapped them on there, I was almost convinced that I was in the wrong place, and had to double check before I logged on because for the most part it didn't look like Second Life or Second Life Marketplace.

3) Ad content - really?, am I interested in dating women/guy from every ethnic minority going?,  am I really interested in Wartune? and any other freebie game that somehow is decided I just have to see an ad for.

I am also well aware of ad blockers, but all these ad's look cheap, tacky and before anyone points out that it's my browser and some form of search monitoring, etc etc.  I can assure you it isn't,

I am of course merely voicing my own opinion, and although I would say that LL can/are addding advertising to their sites which they have the right to do, their implementation and content SUCKS!.

It wouldn't be so bad if they implemented it well, and that it would then aid them in fixing the stuff that doesn't work properly, but it hasn't and it won't.

To anyone who might find a way to a) be offended b) wish to pick apart my post because it isn't their opinion, please save yourself the time, since I rarely visit these forums and as stated this is MY opinion, thus not necessarily correct, right, fact, etc.

Have fun in second life all,

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3996 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.