Standard Sizing, Cupcakes, & You!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3376 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

Rhys Goode wrote:

So a meter in SL is exactly the same as a meter in RL.  Hmmmm.  How to test the hypothesis.

To use the standard definition, I would need to build something like an atomic beam.  Sadly no one in SL seems to able to supply the needed isotopes of caesium or rubidium.  

Now I really dont care get the 10th decimal place, so simpler methods are available.  I actually used a He-Ne laser to accurately measure the distance between two optical flats once.  Sadly, no listings in world for working lasers.  And you need to use things like invar and zerodur for the cavity, or else thermal stability will be an issue.  Again, I strike out on Market Place.

OK, so maybe I can settle for a simple reference object.  I have a meter stick by my desk, but I can't figure out how to import it into SL.

Sigh.  I guess we have to resort to astronomy.  After all, the original definition was one ten millionth of the distance from the equator to the north pole, and we can easily determine the length of a unit rod by measuring the length of their shadows at local noon on the same day, but at different latitudes.  Back in the day, this required a lot of coordination to get the timing down, but with TP in SL, its dead nuts easy!  We do need to know the diameter of the earth for this, but that's easy enough to Google.

OMG!!  I tried this in different widely separated sims.   The shadow lengths are always the same.  This world is FLAT!   Something is profoundly different about the world of SL.  

I'm afraid I have no way of checking to see if a meter in SL is exactly the same as a meter in RL.  Given the size of every objects like furniture, houses, and people, I strongly suspect that there the SL meter is stretched a bit with respect to the RL meter, but  I can think of no way to tell for sure.

Actually, since Second Life approaches we observers at the speed of light, everything in it is infinitely small.

WOW!  I'd forgotten all about the Doppler effect  and what it does to the Human Brain when it enters SL.  We can not neglect to take this into consideration!

"For waves that propagate in a medium, such as sound waves, the velocity of the observer and of the source are relative to the medium in which the waves are transmitted. The total Doppler effect may therefore result from motion of the source, motion of the observer, or motion of the medium. Each of these effects is analyzed separately. For waves which do not require a medium, such as light or gravity in general relativity, only the relative difference in velocity between the observer and the source needs to be considered."

• 1 year later...

Most size dials will stretch the avatar.

An XS-standard size avatar will look normal, almost chunky, on a 5'6" avatar. But on your common 8' tall avatar - it will look like an alien freak suffering in a famine, and for that height even 'L' size might look thin (I've not tried).

Standard Sizes - while still common in clothing because nothing else has proven viable... are getting less easy to stick to in shapes due to differences between mesh bodies and where alpha cuts are made.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3376 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.