How do you age verify and what does that do?I'm a canadian resident with a basic account.

Drayyenn

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2417 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi, my main account got banned. I heard from a friend that verifying my age would allow me to get it back, as I had broken the rules on age restrictions. The age recorded was NOT the age on file. I was account verified, so what would age verification do? Also, I heard verifying age under certain circumstances allows pre-access to adult level sims, which I think you can agree is a little hard to believe. Basically can I get my account back, and keep all permissions? Or would I be downgraded to a moderate level rating?

5 answers to this question

We don't have the age verification anymore. Your age is now only put in, once when you create a new account. So there is no way of adding an age verification process to an existing account anymore. Plus the account is already banned so i am guessing you can't even access this account's profile anymore.

Here are the only steps you can take to ask lindenlab for a new chance - by writing an 'appeal', and explain your situation.
http://massively.joystiq.com/2009/07/06/how-to-get-yourself-unbanned-from-second-life/

If they will give you your account back is something we can not answer and which is completely up to linden lab. (we are also only users helping other users)

(If they should decide to do so, they will surely set your correct age into your profile, after recieving valid proof from you what your actual age is, which automatically will restrict you to certain areas. But again, it's up to linden lab if they are willing or not.)

• Like 3

Creating an alt after your main has been banned is...actually against the rules. You can get in more trouble for doing it, rather than fixing the trouble you're already in.

Age verification is an old process where you certified that you were older than 18 by providing certain information, etc. LL no longer has that process. Instead, when you sign up for your account, you enter your birthdate, and if that birthdate makes you 18 or older, you're automatically age verified.

All age verification did, and all the birthdate thing does now, is allow you to access adult areas and content. I'm not sure what you mean by "pre-access," but if your account says that you're at least 18, you can enter adult areas if you want to, IF you set your inworld filters to view adult content and if the location doesn't have other settings in place to prevent entry - for instance, some sims won't allow avatars under 30 days to prevent griefing.

You can't fix your old account by having the correct age on this one. It doesn't work that way. As far as LL is concerned, those two accounts are completely separate; they may as well be owned by two different people.

IF what you say is true and you broke the rules on age restriction, then you must not have been 18 (in which case you were in the wrong, and LL did exaclty what they should by banning your account) OR your recorded age was, for some reason, not putting you as 18. To fix that in either case, you need to contact LL. They'll probably ask for proof of your RL age, perhaps a driver's license or birth certificate. If you are, in fact, 18, then if LL restores your banned account, you should be able to access adult content. If you are not 18, you'll have to wait until you are to access that content.

• Like 4

Age verfication doesn't exist in its old form anymore. Now you simply enter your birthdate while you create your account and state with that if you are over 18 or not. Being age verfied in this or the old ways has nothing to do with any kind of ban, its just to allow you to visit sims which are rated for adults.

What ban did you get?

If you are really banned LL will have send you an email in order to inform you about it. If that doesn't had happen...what message did you exactly got, when you try to log in? It could be, that you have come across a failure where you got a banned IP from your router. Changing it or simply waiting for a while until it changes automaticaly will solve that problem.

Or are you mistaking something and this is actually about a ban you got from a certain location? Then its not LL problem and you simply should log in on a different place.

In general it would help a lot to know what exactly has happened before you, because it seems you know what it was. The only thing I can imagine so far is, that you lied on your age (like if you are under 18, but put in a birthdate that made you older) and then told somebody about it and they reportet you.

1 hour ago, woodendime said:

I entered the wrong year

can happen... but not knowing your dob is a little strange.

You need to contact support, there is no way to change it yourself.

Support will most likely ask for your rl details. So if you weren't accurate at more info you won't be able to proof you'r the legal owner of the account, and LL will not deal with you about this matter.

If you haven't a lot of important, rare items in your inventory, you could also simply start over and create a new account, this time with the right info.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2417 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.