Griefing or technical issue?

Tourmaline Falken

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4189 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I've been in SL well over 6 years and seen an experienced many types of griefings and crashes but not seen this before. 

Standing on a Help area suddenly my screen in the viewer goes totally pale blue and I am off the grid on the SL Map, and totally blank on the mini map. I don't see my av or anything at all except the blank pale blue in the viewer.  I'm still able to take part in local chat however and am able to tp home easily.  This has happened twice today but never before.

Anybody else experienced this?  Is it a griefing or some kind of semi-crash/SL glitch?

TIA :)

2 answers to this question

Heya Tourmaline,

it sounds much like this JIRA here (not like a grief attempt) https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-16566

Maybe you should try the suggested steps from this JIRA (in case you can not open it i'll copy it to here for you):

.. please try restoring to default settings without reinstalling Second Life, by moving all of your existing settings files to a different, temporary directory. Next time Second Life starts, it will create a new, default set of settings files. Your settings files can be found in the following location:

• On Windows: C:\Documents and Settings_YOUR USERNAME_\Application Data\SecondLife\user_settings
  • On Mac OSX: /Users/YOUR USERNAME/Library/Application Support/SecondLife/user_settings

Before you log into Second Life please Clear the Cache from Outside Second Life You can check the Disk Cache location from the login screen Edit > Preferences > Network.

Please see these articles in Knowledge Base How can I improve performance ? and How do I check for packet loss (network lag)?

Make sure you have the 
 for your video card.

If you're using wireless networking, you should try troubleshooting with a direct wired connection; we allow, but do not support the use of wireless network connections.

This article will show you how to get detailed information about the performance of your computer and the Second Life world Statistics Bar Guide

For technical, time-sensitive and/or Region/Account specific issues please Submit a Ticket with Support as per JIRA Home page

* links seem out of date.

Unless someone just rezzed a hilariously huge blue prim or mesh i assume you have the same issue as described in this jira. Hope it helps fixing it =)

Oh a fellow traveler to "The Limbo Zone" - I've randomly been here several times myself. Usually it occurs when I am in the kitchen with my laptop.....using wireless. My guess is that I dropped a really important set of SL Session Status Updates into the meal I was preparing. A reboot and login later, I'm usually back in without any remaining issues.

Just offering my observations.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4189 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.