Why is my Avatar Hovering when I'm not running any Hover scripts?

Alexia Markova

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4011 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have no real idea where to post this, but here is my problem:

I was removing Hover scripts from an item and now my Avatar is hovering constantly.

What I'm wearing doesn't matter, I removed all attachments, gestures, clothes, scripted items and even changed body shape and skin, but I still hover all the time.

Somehow the hover scripts i was removing seems to have attached itself directly to my AVie.

I really need some help with this since Stop All Animations does not work very long, once I move I start hovering again.

This problem happens with every viewer I use, SL v3 or Third Party.

20 answers to this question

I think you have two concepts mixed up.  Hover scripts create (or remove) the hover text that you sometimes see floating over objects in SL.  Fiddling with them isn't going to do anything  to your av.   If your av is hovering, that's an animation that's somehow taken over.  Either your own AO is stuck or, more likely, you are wearing an object that has an animation script in it.  Stop All Animations won't work because that rogue script is just going to start it up again.  You have to find the object and detach it. 

That shouldn't be too hard.  Just start taking off prim objects until it stops.  If you're lucky, it's in something big and obvious like a piece of jewelry or your shoes.  It could also be tiny, transparent, or inside you, though.   Open your Inventory and type (WORN  (without the right parenthesis) in the search field to get a list of everything you are wearing to make the search easier.

• Like 1

Ok, lets try this again, First thing I tried was to remove ALL Attachments, all clothing, all gestures and I even tried switching body shapes and skins because of this hover problem.

I am actively trying to figure out what is causing the problem because it is really annoying, so I stripped to the skin, removed every attachment and piece of clothing I was wearing and when that failed I even tried using REPLACE CURRENT OUTFIT, which, at least as far as I've seen removes every attachment (even Huds) and all clothing and replaces them with the contents of the new folder full of attachments and clothes.

Unfortunately none of that worked, I still hover when I'm bald and naked wearing a totally different shape and skin.

Thank you for the quick response though, it is appreciated greatly.

No luck at all? OK.... I should have asked first. Does this happen everywhere or just when you are at home in your own parcel? If it's not on you, it has to be nearby. But even that is out if the problem stays with you when yo TP to a different sim.

So far the problem has followed me everywhere I have gone, unless it is a no script sim. I'm beginning to wonder if the hover animation script somehow managed to attach itself directly to my AV core, this should not be possible since that is the basic framework LL has created so AVies can move in SL. My latest attempt at ending the problem was making a prim outfit that takes up every single attachment point and hud slot, i finished this a few minutes ago and, unfortunately, it failed.

No, you can't attach a script to your Av. This is very puzzling, though. If it follows you anywhere, it HAS to be on you somewhere. Let me ask another sort of basic question ..... What do you mean by "hover"? Are you actually in a hovering pose, or are you just floating an uncomfortable distance about the floor/ground? If it's the latter, have you tried Firestorm's Height Offset?

It is an actual hovering pose, basically spread eagle, arms and legs outstreatched and drifting slightly up and down above the ground in an upright position. And according to inventory I'm mot wearing anything except my skin, eyes and a bald head wig, and Firestorm is out since the current version keeps crashing on start so I deleted it.

Wow. I hate to admit this, but you have me stumped for the moment. I can't imagine how that can be happening without a script activating it, but if you took everything off including your AO, there can't be a script there....... If I have an unexpected flash of insight, I'll come back here and let you know. Barring that, all I can do is sleep on it for now.

Well stumping anyone was not what I was hoping for, I really hope you do get that flash of insight.

Latest update on my attempts to fix it myself I did a character test in the hopes that it would kill that blasted animation, sadly it also failed.

With a little luck someone will come up with an idea that works. Thanks for trying :)

Another idea is that it could be that old nutshell the "sl glitch".  Your av can hover for no obvious reason sometimes.  

Try flying up for a few seconds then fly all the way down to the ground.  This can sometimes fix it.  Another thing to try is to sit on an object then stand up again.

Uh... Am I missing something? Doesn't Firestorm have a [ X ] Hover after TP option buried in preferences somewhere? I'm guessing this actually updates one of the Debug options that of course we don't know the exact name of. If you can find that option and uncheck it in Firestorm, that may resolve your issue in all viewers.

@ Rolig - Oh yes, point well taken. It never was a permanent feature. The normal stop hovering option always worked when using that feature. Did she try the awful Test Avatar option? That pretty much resets everything. The "No script" comment by the OP made me think of that.

OK next thing to lose......... Any hair you are still wearing. Use the free avatar hair temporally. I once accidentally put in a dancing script in my prim hair...Well you can imagine the rest of that story !!!! [~I never did find the actual prim out of 300 it ended in.~]

Thanks for trying to help Rolig and KarenMichelle, I do appreciate your efforts.

The Update:
Ok, after a little further digging I discovered that I am being effected by 2 Hover/Float type animations that have seem to have somehow attached themselves to my AVie's feet/legs, I discovered this by using the Phoenix Viewer's Animation Explorer feature in the World Tab. This feature shows the animation string name (a long string of letters and numbers) and graphically shows the body part being effected. Unfortunately both of these animations are extremely persistent and immediately go back to being active as soon as I move my Avie.

If anyone is interested I could write the animation string names down and post them here, I would have done that when posting this, but was doubtful that it would be useful info, but what do I know? After all I'm the one floating all over the place!

I have been flying and landing (using the page up and down buttons) regularly since this started, I have changed call my clothes, hair, bald hair piece, skin, eyes and shape several times since this started, and have done several of those Character Tests as well.

The animations don't seem to be going anywhere, after I deactivated all my gestures, removed all my clothing, hair and changed eyes, shape and skin, Did several character tests, put on different clothing, hair, eyes, shape and skin, I still floated, much to my annoyance!

To be honest I think I need to figure out how to file a support ticket so LL can (hopefully) figure out why I can't kill these animations. Unfortunately I have no idea how to fill out a support ticket requesting help with this problem since the Support Page seems to have been redesigned to be extremely confusing and unfriendly.

I honestly can't figure out which heading to file this under!

If anyone can help me figure out how to file a support ticket for this probable SL Glitch I would be grateful!

Alexia,

I can't imagine you having these attached to your AVie. The Technical Questions / Animations-Gestures Issues seems appropriate to me. Include the detail from your analysis as an attachment.

I'm also assuming you have remopved any and all HUDs as well?

Ok, I logged into the Second Life Beta Grid and I don't float there, my Avatar is normal, but as soon as I log into the main grid I once again float, so, my best guess is that this problem is being caused by some kind of server side glitch.

@ KarenMichelle Yes I am HUD free. And I have no idea how it happened but these animations seem to be solidly attached to my AVie, since I removed all attachments, all huds, all gestures and even switched eyes, skin and shape, I changed every aspect of my AVie and still ended up floating baled and naked after stopping all animations, clearing cache and relogging, once I moved I was once again floating like I was on a Hoverboard of some kind.

How do I find the area you suggested? I am having a lot of trouble finding what I need to find concerning the Help Portals, the menu systems don't seem very user friendly to me.

Thanks Rolig, since I also have a Basic account I guess I'm stuck, Linden Labs choice to almost completely ignore all of the Basic users is shameful and one of the best reasons I can see to NEVER get a Premium Account.

Now I have to figure out another way to get my AVie to stop this damned floating!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4011 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.