I was told in 1444 minutes and was I banned from SL that i've had for 7 years with no issues. Why?

Scotsgraymouser Janus

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4190 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I was just told that in 1444 minutes that i would be banned from SL.  Why, and is this permanent.  I have abided by the rules of the Environment and use it for artistic uses in RL and have paid massive licence permissions of 10,0000 lindens or more for permission to use them anywhere.  I need to know if I am banned forever, or is this an update.  Please let me know.  If there is an abuse report I assure you it is done with seriously ill will.

6 answers to this question

I can't let you know anything. Neither can anyone else here; we're all residents, just like you. All we can do is offer advice.

Informed by whom? If it happened inworld and they didn't have "Linden" in their name, it's just a scare tactic.

Was it a messag that popped up on your screen, or in a blue box? What did it say? If it appeared in IM, if the sender didn't have "Linden" in their name, again, it's just a scare tactic and you can ignore it.

It's hard to say exactly what's going on without actually knowing what happened. Please add more information by choosing "Options > Edit" at the top of your original post. Please do NOT start another thread.

In this forum users are helping other users. So you won't get a response from an official linden lab employee for your question here. Plus its a private subject which normally won't be discussed in public anyways.

To make a statement about the incoming ban from SL, please contact the support: open a support case

To contemplate why you have been banned is hard to say from what you wrote. All i can read is that you payed for something, to be able to use it, but apperently seem to have been banned for breaking IPR or Copyright laws. At least that's what i can read from it. 
Permanent banns are generally only being done in the hard cases, like intense griefing, or heavily breaking the TOS (terms of service). And other users here can only speculate but not help or decide wether this was reasonable or not.

So to recieve help, the best choice is to contact the support. 

Edit: i over-read the "warning thing", i have so far never seen a heads-up before being banned. If you are banned, then directly. And you are immediately disconnected, and will find an informing email .(http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Permanent_account_bans ) The others are most likely correct, when this message did not come via mail, or from an official linden employee this might just be a scam , grief, or something to scare you.

• Like 2

"I was just told that in 1444 minutes that i would be banned from SL....

"

------------------------------------------

The highlighted and in red part of the message you say you received is quite odd.  So odd that I believe it is not an official message from LL (I'd be willing to bet on it, in fact).  Linden Lab does not pre-warn anyone when they are banned or suspended.......you are simply logged out and they send you an email to the address you associated with LL when you signed up explaining what happened, a brief reason why and how you can go about appealing the ban/suspension.

1444 minutes is just over 24 hours........why would LL wait a day to ban someone?  If they have reason then they ban on the spot.  They are certainly not going to give you a day to raise hell with the grid.  Think about it.

Did they say you'd be banned FOR 1444 minutes (roughly 24 hours) or IN 1444 minutes? If it was the latter, think about it - if you were banned, presumably for doing something bad, why would they give you ADVANCED NOTICE of it, thereby giiving you a day to practice your supposedly evil ways? I see ZERO chance of that happening.

If you actually were banned you probably wouldn't have been able to log in at all. There's a slim chance your account may be put on some sort of administrative hold for a day but this whole thing sounds very unlikely.

The 10,000 lindens or is it 100,000 lindens you paid for licenses might be cause for LL to look at that transaction as suspicious activity.  Though the 10,000 lindens isn't all that much for a single transaction (about $40 USD equivalent).  If that amount is, in fact, 100,000 lindens (about $400 USD) then possibly......but I still doubt it.  If you paid a single resident that amount there is the possibility that you might receive an administrative hold on your account.  LL does not call that a ban though.....it's a hold until some sort of investigation is complete and they, again, will send you an email advising you of the hold (and probably requesting some information from you to help with their investigation.

I still think it's bogus.

• Like 2

Besides this probably being a scam or a scare tactic, I would question the whole idea of you paying "license fees" in $L, between anonymous avatars.

Such licensing fees have no basis in law, because a binding contract must be executed between two identifiable parties.  Avatar names don't count. 

If someone told you, "pay me $L xxxxx and I'll grant you a license to use my work", that too is most likely a scam and a cheat.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4190 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.