Updating viewer for Firestorm...

Fidelity Quintessa

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2797 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Better questions:

I received a message saying that we would have to upgrade to a new version very soon.

Can I stay with the old SL viewer.  It is the SL 34.1 version, released Nov, 5th, 2012

Do I need to upgrade to a new SL viewer, (the newest version they have)?

Will the latest SL viewer support SSB?

It sounds good because it means no more ghosting or avatart - agreed!

Yours Fidel...

8 answers to this question

What? Hmm, your text is quite a bit confusing!

1. Firestorm is a third party viewer developed by different people than LL. It has absolutly nothing to do with them. So how do you get the idea LL will make Firestorm the only viewer? There will be still Firestorm, LL viewer and a wide range of other third party viewers.

2. Why do you keep your viewer on such an old version? You miss new features and there is no advantage of not updateing software.

3. What you probably heard about are changes which will break V1 based viewers. Also the Firestorm developers stoped supporting their older viewer called Phoenix. Your viewer itself will be fine, because its based on LL actual viewer.....but I highly suggest that you update it.

• Like 3

I'm a little confused about what you're asking. What "3.1" are you running? (Please edit your original post.)

The problem is that they are changing how avatars are rendered and everyone will need an updated viewer to see them properly. The Linden Lab viewer will be updated, of course, as will Firestorm ant the other currently maintained third-party viewers. Phoenix will NOT be updated - that was what the FIrestorm post was referring to, as Phoenix and Firestorm are from the same developers.

• Like 2

Fidelity,

Lets restate this shall we...

1) Linden Lab has been working on several major improvements to SecondLife, one of which involves avatar rendering. The new Server Side Baking code will be made available very soon on the LL servers servicing all regions. This is a critical update requiring all Client Viewers to be modified to support it.

2) The official LL SecondLife V3 Viewer will be updated to support this on a general release soon and is already supporting this on a limited beta release.

3) Third Party Viewer providers have been provided access to the test regions and source code for Server Side Baking [sSB] and are developing support for this important performance update. Many Third Party Developers have taken this time to drop support of older viewer technology such as The Phoenix group which has stopped support of their original Phoenix Viewer. However, they are fully supporting SSB and other server side updates in their Firestorm product.

4) In addition to this, many other Third Party Viewer developers have already incorporated the needed code into their offerings for that date when the general roll out of the Server code is complete.

Those who delay upgrading to a modern viewer will still see avatars as before with the exception that the textures rendered by the SSB code may be missing from them leaving a white mask on the prim/layer shape. In addition to the SSB code upgrades, several other updates will also be rolled out so Yes, this is the time to upgrade. So you have time to learn how to use a modern SL viewer prior to the server code update.

The major benefit to SSB is no more cloud avatars. :) YAY!

• Like 1

Hi Karen,

Yes, I think I'm closer to understanding your answer. My question was all 'skeewith' so this is what I should have asked:

I have the SL 34.1 version.

Could I stay with this version or do I have to upgrade to a newer version of SL?

I do not use a third party viewer but the SL version, so can I keep to the SL version?

Will the latest SL viewer support Server Side Baking?

When will it be released - very soon?

Would be very grateful for to have these questions cleared up and thank you so far -

Fidel...

Yes it [The official Sl Viewer from LL] will of course support all LL server code. Soon there will be a mandatory update message sent to you when you logon to SL. I'm using the Beta [ Second Life 3.5.0 (273174) Mar 29 2013 16:05:29 (Second Life Beta Viewer) ] but I'm a masochist - LOL

The push out date for the "big" [sSB + other goodies] server code update is not announced but is rumored to be the end of April or early in May.

...of this year!!! [ <--- long story about why I added this :P ]

If you are talking about the Firestorm viewer, their blog states that they have not released their SSB viewer yet.  There will be a period of a couple of weeks between when when LL releases their SSB viewer and when SSP is rolled out on sim servers.  During this period LL will be seeing if any code needs changing and passing those changes to Firestorm  Once that is settled, Firestorm will release their version of the SSB viewer, which they say will be in plenty of time before the SSB sim server is rolled out.  Once that happens you will need to upgrade your viewer to a SSB viewer in order to see any textures that an avatar is wearing.  Otherwise the all avatars will look blank to you.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2797 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.