My avatar has been having a bake fail for a year and I have tried everything to fix it.

emilybruff14

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4036 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have tried changing viewers [Firestorm, phoenix, regular, etc...] and computers. I have tried changing clothing and rebaking. I have also tried various other things, including trying an alternative account, but each avatar shows up as a red cloud or just doesn't load. This has been going on for a year now and I would appreciate it if someone could help me find a solution.

P.S. Other people can see my character just fine from their viewer, but I cannot see it. And yes, I have tried all the bake fail fixes from http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_bake_fail. My main viewer is Phoenix, but I have tried others in order to fix it and it still doesn't work.

9 answers to this question

Run a few tests to both San Francisco, CA and Dallas, TX.  You need an average of, at least 750 kbps to each location.......1000 kbps is better but 750 should work for you (with some lag).  Another test to perform is a ping test.  Excessive latency (the time it takes for data to be sent and returned back to your computer) will cause a bake fail and a pretty good amount of lag.

http://www.speedtest.net/

If none of those solutions work, then you have a chronically weak Internet connection.  Take some time and read Nalates's blog very carefully to see how to diagnose your connection and what to do once you have identified the problem >>>> http://blog.nalates.net/2011/10/26/troubleshoot-your-sl-connection/ .  The good news is that you do have relief coming.  In about a mont, Linden Lab will be releasing the Server Side Avatar Baking upgrade that will do away with bake fail forever.   It will probably create a new set of problems -- one of the first is that Phoenix users will finally watch their viewer become unusable -- but at least bake fail will be a thing of the past.

• Like 5

"...

- but at least bake fail will be a thing of the past."

--------------------------------------------------

We can hope. :) In the world of digital processing I've learned to "believe it when I see it". In theory it should eliminate that one problem..........and you know how theory goes. :) :)

Yeah, that's why I said it will probably create new set of problems. Still ...... There's an apocryphal quote running around on the Internet, attributed to someone like Jack Welsh, that says "The best measure of progress is not whether you have solved all your problems. It's whether you are working on different problems than you were last year."

I would side with the others who stated it is likey your connection, but on the off chance it isn't. the only other solution I have is one that works for me when I'm on my ancient laptop. It is in the "Debug" settings. Type: RenderUnloadedAvatar and set it to "True" it works anytime I'm stuck as a cloud, even when rebaking and relogging don't. Good luck.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4036 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.