Sign in to follow this  
jeeps

update stupid chat window

wat friggin idiot decided to put chat and im window on same space ,and while im at it why cant yoiu put a server for the games we play in other countries like other game companies because it is so one sided its not worth playing with the ping we have.

Just remove the chat form the communication window and use it separately. Then you have two windows again, like if that is not blocking the screen.....

Six Igaly wrote:

Just remove the chat form the communication window and use it separately. Then you have two windows again, like if that is not blocking the screen.....

^^that^^

when do this way and minimize both the chat dialog and IM dialog then the extra screen space taken over the old way is equal to 23 pixels width and height. which is the space of the tool buttons which are used to provide the new conversation joining/logging stuffs

also in Preferences can turn off all the flashing buttons and popup bling if you don't want them

16 wrote:

also in Preferences can turn off all the flashing buttons and popup bling if you don't want them

^^that too^^

jeeps wrote:

wat friggin idiot decided to put chat and im window on same space ,and while im at it why cant yoiu put a server for the games we play in other countries like other game companies because it is so one sided its not worth playing with the ping we have.

Some other people already told why someone complaining about things they can undo in simple ways just might be a friggin idiot.  So I'll tell you who decided.  The same ones who decided that the chat and im windows shouldn't be in the same space anymore.  Yes, that's right.  They used to be together.  Then they broke up.  Now they're back together again.

Ain't love funny?

Switch to a TPV.   I've been is SL 5 years now and haven't used one of their viewer beyond my first week.  I don't feel like I've missed a thing since most TPVs seem to listen to what the users would like more than SL ever has.

ok so if and how and wen i sepereate the windows that shood never have been joine i now cant see chat window in mouse look wen pplaying games????

jeeps wrote:

ok so if and how and wen i sepereate the windows that shood never have been joine i now cant see chat window in mouse look wen pplaying games????

break out the Nearby chat window. then use Ctrl+H to toggle the Nearby Chat window. works in Mouselook same as it ever did

Slvr2 Torii wrote:

jeeps wrote:

Some other people already told why someone complaining about things they can undo in simple ways just might be a friggin idiot.  So I'll tell you who decided.  The same ones who decided that the chat and im windows shouldn't be in the same space anymore.  Yes, that's right.  They used to be together.  Then they broke up.  Now they're back together again.

Ain't love funny?

Duh.  Maybe if the idiots making the viewer made it more user friendly in the first place, huh?

Also, I got news for you. Sitting down?  Listening?  Good. Here we go:-  SL residents are customers. That is one. They have every right to complain if something is half assed and simply stupid, as in the case of CHUI.  That is two. They actually have a right to complain about anything that they are paying for if it does not meet their own standards or requirements. That is three.

Ain't the truth painful?

As always, I am constantly amazed at your 'insider' knowledge. It really is remarkable.

However, as much as I hate to burst your bubble, consider this:-

The icon 'buttons' provided are actually a pretty good idea.  A much better idea than CHUI.

Yet here you are, triumphantly declaring removing these, and typing shortcuts on a keyboard vis a vis clicking the buttons (clicking a icon/button is faster and easier than typing a shortcut...which is why the side bar buttons were phased in in the first place!)  as a solution (!) to the incompetence of the CHUI system in the latest LL viewer,  that is destined to lead even more people to TPV's than Emerald did from V1 LL viewer.

Also, residents should not have to do this to use a UI. A good UI should be secondary to the actual 'immersion' in the game or virtual world.  It should not distract, nor should some woolly-minded steps to remove buttons because the silly chat window is too big, clunky, badly thought out be considered a workable solution.

Shame on her for providing an alternative, short of re-coding the viewer, which is probably out of the scope of alternatives.

Hoshi Kenin wrote:

As always, I am constantly amazed at your 'insider' knowledge. It really is remarkable.

However, as much as I hate to burst your bubble, consider this:-

The icon 'buttons' provided are actually a pretty good idea.  A much better idea than CHUI.

Yet here you are, triumphantly declaring removing these, and typing shortcuts on a keyboard vis a vis clicking the buttons (
clicking a icon/button is faster and easier than typing a shortcut...which is why the side bar buttons were phased in in the first place
!)  as a 
solution (!)
 to the incompetence of the CHUI system in the latest LL viewer,  that is destined to lead even more people to TPV's than Emerald did from V1 LL viewer.

Also, residents should not have to do this to use a UI. A good UI should be secondary to the actual 'immersion' in the game or virtual world.  It should not distract, nor should some woolly-minded steps to remove buttons because the silly chat window is too big, clunky, badly thought out be considered a workable solution.

i don't have any insider knowledge.i wish i did tho. would save me a heaps of time

i only know what i know bc i when i have to use something i learn about it. like try it out and see. try to understand why it was made in the way it was. if i still don't know then i read up on it. if still don't know after that then iust ask on the forums here

+

about the Chat toolbutton. is only one button. Somebody Linden had to choose: open CHUI or Nearby chat when the button is clicked. so they obvious choose CHUI bc that's what happens when you click it

so Ctrl+H to toggle Nearby Chat. which is the way it always worked

dunno if you use Mouselook much tho. so maybe you not notice there is no buttons/menus in Mouselook to click on by default. never has been. Mouselook is similar to gamer FPS mode. where players use key combos all the time. bc is faster to play that way 

I`ll keep using firestorm aslong they don`t implement that crap
If firestorm implements this crap, i`ll dump it in a moment, even after using it for god knows how long for a tpv that keeps the current look and feel
If no one keeps the current look and feel, i`ll ignore the world and do my job trough support tickets and web chat

Not going to buy a 60inch monitor just to be able to chat and see the world...

Hoshi Kenin wrote:

Slvr2 Torii wrote:

jeeps wrote:

Ain't love funny?

Duh.  Maybe if the idiots making the viewer made it more user friendly in the first place, huh?

Also, I got news for you. Sitting down?  Listening?  Good. Here we go:-  SL residents are customers. That is one. They have 
every right
 to complain if something is half assed and simply stupid, as in the case of CHUI.  That is two. They actually have a right to complain about anything that they are paying for if it does not meet their own standards or requirements. That is three.

Ain't the truth painful?

customers also have the ability to participate in development of SL. like can dl the beta viewers and have a go on them. if want changes to it then can file a change request jira

lots of customers participate in the CHUI beta. lots more didn't

but them that did got lots of changes made that suit them. like me and quite a few others wanted to ensure that the Nearby Chat bar was preserved. so can still haveon screen chat scrolling. at a early stage in the development it looked like NoIdea Linden was thinking of taking this out

so customers who wanted this preserved made their case thru the jira. so NoIdea Linden get overruled by ListenToTheCustomers Linden

jeeps wrote:

This might enlighten you as to 'wat friggin idiot ...'  There is also a useful video to view within the link. Tells you how to use the chat/IM window.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Featured-News/A-Shiny-New-Communications-Hub-for-the-Second-Life-Viewer/ba-p/1957779

Regarding your appalling ping times, Linden Lab is based in California/Seattle/USA, and that's just the way it is.  They used to have offices in Brighton, UK, and other places, but have no longer, so I assume it isn't financially viable or otherwise to run servers outside of where they currently house them.

16 wrote:

Hoshi Kenin wrote:

Slvr2 Torii wrote:

jeeps wrote:

Ain't love funny?

Also, I got news for you. Sitting down?  Listening?  Good. Here we go:-  SL residents are customers. That is one. They have 
every right
 to complain if something is half assed and simply stupid, as in the case of CHUI.  That is two. They actually have a right to complain about anything that they are paying for if it does not meet their own standards or requirements. That is three.

Ain't the truth painful?

customers also have the ability to participate in development of SL. like can dl the beta viewers and have a go on them. if want changes to it then can file a change request jira

but them that did got lots of changes made that suit them. like me and quite a few others wanted to ensure that the Nearby Chat bar was preserved. so can still haveon screen chat scrolling. at a early stage in the development it looked like NoIdea Linden was thinking of taking this out

so customers who wanted this preserved made their case thru the jira. so NoIdea Linden get overruled by ListenToTheCustomers Linden

I sometimes marvel how ListenToTheCustomer Linden manages to keep her job.  Especially since she answers to DoesNotHaveASecondLife Linden.

It's great that the CHUI JIRA is still open and we can still comment and make suggestions.  Down side though is the further into development they get, the greater chance of a domino effect being caused by changes.

With CHUI going live I think we may be at the "speak now or forever hold your peace" stage of the wedding ceremony.

Perrie Juran wrote:

16 wrote:

I sometimes marvel how ListenToTheCustomer Linden manages to keep her job.  Especially since she answers to DoesNotHaveASecondLife Linden.

It's great that the CHUI JIRA is still open and we can still comment and make suggestions.  Down side though is the further into development they get, the greater chance of a domino effect being caused by changes.

With CHUI going live I think we may be at the "speak now or forever hold your peace" stage of the wedding ceremony.

is a shotgun wedding

can be quite hard to negotiate the bride price when is a shotgun in your face. is doable tho. just have to smile a lot and waggle your head up and down (:

Hoshi Kenin wrote:

Slvr2 Torii wrote:

jeeps wrote:

Ain't love funny?

every right

Ain't the truth painful?

The OP asked a question which I answered. 

Now this from a definition of Idiot : "...someone who acts in a self-defeating or significantly counterproductive way. "

An example of which is complaining about aspect that can easily be avoided with simple user preferences.  Dulls the impact of your complaint when it's mostly nonsense.  Calling other people idiots while being one yourself is something I would try to avoid.   But to each their own.

ditto.

And it was you who first bandied the 'idiot' word around.

As for your 'simple viewer preferences'. Lol.  If the UI was better and chat logical, ie if it worked, there would be no need for such tweaking of prefs, would there, hmmm?

Consider, if in order to drive your just returned from the garage after it's latest service ( ie. update) car, you had to open the bonnet, swap the HT leads around, adjust the needle on your carb, change the oil filter, re-upload the engine data for the ECU...

Meanwhile, across the road, someone just gets into their non-LL car and drives off.

Now. Which of those two is the idiot?

its horrible...sl hide more and more his graphics and we  see more and more black screens , makes me start hating this viewer.

all IM in 1 box  might be ok and usefull but add main chat in same box???  im hosting events and need to keep an eye on mainchat and the screen and answer IM, i cantg multitask this way, unless i cover my screen witgh 2 black boxes  to rfead mainchat and my Im.s  1 box with Ims would do as long we would be able to  type in normal chat , we be forced to chat in a  black box  and we cant evedn use hotkeys for gestures,  than we must close the  horrible blac k box again, or use the menu to use gestures...its 1 big disaster and for shure not makes sl  nicer to use............is this a way to force all tgo  use voice chat? bad idea to  ............so  please  give us a option to use it or not use it, and not with  make a vbox floating because tghats not the option we  want, that stil makes youre screen cov er with to  many black.............this might be tghe end of sl viewer for me to , .......

why  oh why   mess  with such a great game to  make horrible  viewer use

the CHUI is in expanded mode by default so that you can see all the new options. is quite a lot of them. multi-conversations invites and history logging of all chats and IMs. etc

to hide all the new options then collapse the CHUI by press the buttons marked in red in the pic below. will be like the old way when do this. IMs and groups in 1 window. nearby chatbar and onscreen scroll

chuicollapse.jpg

Hoshi Kenin wrote:

ditto.

And it was you who first bandied the 'idiot' word around.....

It appears you've failed to read the Original Posters Original Post.  I will cut an paste it below so you can come up to speed:

jeeps wrote:

If you're still puzzled here's a hint - look at the 3rd blue word above.   Starting from the top, moving to left to right.

Was forced to use chui for a couple of hours while trying to nail an issue, don`t shoot me for saying it:

I`m starting to like the old way again with seperated im/group tab you can minimize

Ofcourse closing the names, shuving it to the side and bottom of the screen reduces used space, but the big window borders are still kind of annoying, something sleek and narrow would have been alot better (yay for firestorm ui)

and less flashing....