Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Shy Robbiani

Stop Google Ads

Recommended Posts


Phil Deakins wrote:


16 wrote:

I address this point direct

if want to generate income from your web works then put a price on it and sell it. let it stand on its own merits

put a paywall on your website

1) login page. sign in to agree to ToS. pay money to consume

2) frontpage click to agree to ToS and continue. ToS include provision for your info to be passed to 3rd party advertisers while on our site 

I completely disagree with you on this. Websites cost very little to run. If you can make your own site, then there's only the ongoing hosting to pay for. Most websites are small hobby types which virtually nobody would pay anything to. Affiliate advertising can pay the costs of those sites, making the hobby cost nothing. Brilliant!

Large sites can make a lot of money from affiliate ads. If they charged users to view parts of their sites, the users wouldn't pay anything like the amount that is made from affiliate ads. So your suggestion doesn't make sound economic sense for websites in general.

 

I said can make a paywall bc David said was insulting to browse content makers websites without paying for it. cutting off their income by blocking ads on their sites is how he said it

if content makers are that insulted then is other options they can take. like a paywall

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

16 wrote:

I said can make a paywall bc David said was insulting to browse content makers websites without paying for it. cutting off their income by blocking ads on their sites is how he said it

if content makers are that insulted then is other options they can take. like a paywall 

Ok. I thought you were suggesting that website owners ought to do it that way instead of putting affiliate ads on their pages. It was that idea that I disagreed with.

So now that's 2 of my argumentative posts that you've corrected me on. You are intentionally preventing me from getting into an argument, and that's really mean :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Phil Deakins wrote:

So now that's 2 of my argumentative posts that you've corrected me on. You are intentionally preventing me from getting into an argument, and that's really mean
:(


q; (:

can argue about the merits of freeview network TV based on the adverts model vs pay-per-view TV if you like. is lots of parallels with the interwebz revenue models

is also parallels with freelisten radio with adverts vs subscription channels

each have its place. but network TV and freelisten radio are a mature product. meaning they not a growth area overall in terms of future revenues 

+

can also discuss what the longterm future might be for the amateur/indie blogger/content provider as what is happening with browsers re content blocking takes hold

Microsoft switching IE10 from default optout to default optin for web wide advertising going to have a longterm impact on the interwebz freeview advertisng funded model I think

how serious that impact is going to be am not sure   

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Phil Deakins wrote:


Teagan Tobias wrote:

davidventer wrote:

There are better ways of placing these things.

 Exactly. Unfortunately it is such a mess that I now run ad block, all the time.

Please explain what you mean by "such a mess". There are only 2 ads per page. One is at the top, above the main page content, and the other is on the side, away from the main page content. Neither of them interfere with the main page content. Would you rather the ads were placed within the main page content? If they were, I have no doubt that they would get far more objections than they do now.

Tip: Unless you are still using an old monitor, you are using a wide-screen monitor, so set your browser window to the standard(ish) width of websites. That way you won't even see the ad on the side. I have my browser window set to the width of this forum and, regardless of which website I visit, I never need to expand it.

I have never seen any other web site jump around when I open the page, only LL. Every page I open on the MP jumps, left to right, quick but still moves around, and the top add moves the page slightly also. There should be not movement of the page content just because there is an ad there. So, IMO it is such a mess because of the movement ON EVERY PAGE. And on the MP that is a lot of jumping around. Now I understand that there are many other people that know a lot more than me about web browsers and how to set the options, but from the little I know, its a mess for me, but not any more, thanks ad blocker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe some of that 'jumping around' you're seeing might be due to your browser, and I KNOW it can be a result of screen settings.

When I check the forum from my usual work computer I am seeing it on a 15" monitor in 1024x768, the former because that's what fits in the space I have available and the latter because that's about all this clunker of an LCD can handle. Forum pages jump all over. When I log in from home (where I use a monitor that could sorta be considered not too outdated—it's a 22" and a much higher resolution—I get a stable forum page. Both PCs are still using IE8.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, screen settings, old monitor (not this one), incorrect browser settings, etc...

But why only on LL web pages and no place else I go on the web?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 


Teagan Tobias wrote:

Okay, screen settings, old monitor (not this one), incorrect browser settings, etc...

But why only on LL web pages and no place else I go on the web?

There may be several possible answers to that question but at the moment I can only think of one.:smileywink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am sure LL is exploring all options to keep the labs cash flow. However I disapprove because I am a paid member of SL. I didnt install a blocker and after a bit I've sort'a muted them. As I do not pay any attention to them much I have seen some web sites advertised I KNOW are not trust worthy....apparently LL does't care where it comes from as long as it comes..

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Teagan Tobias wrote:


Phil Deakins wrote:


Teagan Tobias wrote:

davidventer wrote:

There are better ways of placing these things.

 Exactly. Unfortunately it is such a mess that I now run ad block, all the time.

Please explain what you mean by "such a mess". There are only 2 ads per page. One is at the top, above the main page content, and the other is on the side, away from the main page content. Neither of them interfere with the main page content. Would you rather the ads were placed within the main page content? If they were, I have no doubt that they would get far more objections than they do now.

Tip: Unless you are still using an old monitor, you are using a wide-screen monitor, so set your browser window to the standard(ish) width of websites. That way you won't even see the ad on the side. I have my browser window set to the width of this forum and, regardless of which website I visit, I never need to expand it.

I have never seen any other web site jump around when I open the page, only LL. Every page I open on the MP jumps, left to right, quick but still moves around, and the top add moves the page slightly also. There should be not movement of the page content just because there is an ad there. So, IMO it is such a mess because of the movement ON EVERY PAGE. And on the MP that is a lot of jumping around. Now I understand that there are many other people that know a lot more than me about web browsers and how to set the options, but from the little I know, its a mess for me, but not any more, thanks ad blocker.

You've sorted your problem out and that's good, but there have been a number of threads here about the ads and you're the only one that I've seen who says that the pages jump about. So I guess the problem is at you end and not at the website's end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Tarina Sewell wrote:

I am sure LL is exploring all options to keep the labs cash flow. However I disapprove because I am a paid member of SL. I didnt install a blocker and after a bit I've sort'a muted them. As I do not pay any attention to them much I have seen some web sites advertised I KNOW are not trust worthy....apparently LL does't care where it comes from as long as it comes..

 

Just a quickie...

You are perfectly free to disapprove, of course, but it's none of your business.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


16 wrote:


Phil Deakins wrote:

So now that's 2 of my argumentative posts that you've corrected me on. You are intentionally preventing me from getting into an argument, and that's really mean
:(


q; (:

can argue about
the merits of freeview network TV based on the adverts model vs pay-per-view TV if you like. is lots of parallels with the interwebz revenue models

is also parallels with freelisten radio with adverts vs subscription channels

each have its place. but network TV and freelisten radio are a mature product. meaning they not a growth area overall in terms of future revenues 

+

can also discuss what the longterm future might be for the amateur/indie blogger/content provider as what is happening with browsers re content blocking takes hold

Microsoft switching IE10 from default optout to default optin for web wide advertising going to have a longterm impact on the interwebz freeview advertisng funded model I think

how serious that impact is going to be am not sure   

 

I can only argue about something if someone argues the other side.

I've never paid for pay-per-view TV, so I've no idea if those programmes have ads in them or not. I assume they have. Over here, only the BBC channels are free from ads, and they are also part of the Freeview channels.

We are used to ads during TV programmes and we've all developed our own ways of dealing with them. Some people time-shift their viewing by watching mostly recorded TV and skipping through the ads. That's what I do. Generally speaking, we are so used to ads on TV that we don't complain about them. If we didn't have ads on TV, we wouldn't have most of the TV channels that we get, so ads on TV are a very good thing.

I don't think that ad-blocking will affect bloggers and such at all. Bloggers blog for pleasure and not for money. They try to offset the cost by including affiliate ads but, if they can't get any revenue from the ads because of ad-blockers, it won't stop them from blogging. IMO, of course. I'm including 'content providers' in that and by content providers I mean small hobby websites.

There are some people for whom ad-blockers would be disastrous if it became widespread. They are the people who make their living from the affiliate ads system. I don't mean people within the system, such as Google and affiliate centres like Doubleclick. I mean people who use the system to make their living. Ad-blockers would kill their livelihoods if it became very widespread. But there aren't very many people like that, and they knew that their business model was always unstable.

So ad-blocking can certainly change the web somewhat, as you said, but not really in any negative way. The only negative impact that I can see would be on those who can't afford to run their sites and blogs without some income from ads, and such sites and blogs won't be any loss to the people who use the web.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Phil Deakins wrote:

 

... ads on TV are a very good thing.

Well... they can be so - sometimes.  :smileyvery-happy:  :smileytongue:

World_Without_TV_Commercial.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...