About the new chat update which is not comfortable to use

Natalia280

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4034 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Since I started to play second life,,the V3 is my favorite,i have tried others but i didn't like them since i found them not easy to use as the second life viewer 3 and i also prefer how the graphic looks on viewer 3.

But yesterday was the update in the chat box which i found really really not comfortable to use, and it's taking out all the fun and confusing. Everything is in the same window, including groups . But what is really bothers is that when someone im , i don't get anymore the little square with his profile picture above on left side. i only get the message pop up, and the chat tab is highlighted in orange.. And sometimes i don't even see the message pop up due to lags and can miss ims. so everytime i need to check the orange tab  to see if someone imed me , even tho it flashes many times without that to happens, because mny times it's just a group message, and i have many groups....So i always need to check for nothing instead of focusing on other things. 

Other thing is that sometimes in the talk i wanna minimize the chat window with the person, cause i m doing something and it bothers on the screen , or when  we stop talking for a while, and once the square with his picture was above after i minimized and i could get back to him later, which was so easy. now when i minimizes it's the all chat window, and it's lying on other side and not comfortable and i see big conversation tab minimized instead...

It's so not easy to use and so not comfortable and i think that even if there was an update in chat window so still the option to have separate windows with the squares pictures like once, should have been added to preferences , so if someone don't like it he can go back to this option. For many people it was much easier like before , and they can't change it back and it's a shame they give up on the viewer for that..The problem is that i also don't like that other viewers and i really liked that one, but now even that one is not comfortable anymore...

Please change it back or just add the option to have separate windows like once.. It will help to many people...It was so easy and fun before ....and i really don't want to switch viewer :(

thank you

It's the worst thing SL has ever done to me!!  My avi cannot move when the new chat box pops up, which is constant at clubs, etc.  I cannot post pics in my profile, because every time the chat pops back up my comments are going in chat instead of on my profile.  It's confusing, difficult, and a HORRIBLE change.  Please, PLEASE... put it back the way it was.  Or at LEAST give us a way to choose to use the old system or the new.   This is just impossible and I am now avoiding clubs and group situations because of it.

I agree completely. The new chat/IM format in the new update is absolutely horrble... very confusing to use, distracting, & disruptive to play. DId the person who approved this change ever actually use SL? PLESE give us the option to go back to the old format.... and QUICKLY!

I really hate this chat windows update. Since the update, I've posted several comments in local chat that were meant for private IM's only.  I carry on multiple conversations and I depended on the separate chat windows in the last version to keep my conversations straight.  Now with every conversation grouped into one window, I'm never quite sure which conversation I'm posting to.  This can prove quite embarrassing.  

Please Linden Labs:  go back to the prior chat window version.

Thanks a bunch! Cant even roll back to a previous viewer now. Great!! So I have to walk - stop local chat message - walk stop - object spoke - walk - ah you know what why don't I just stand still for my entire duration in Secondlife, as the bloody chat window won't let me walk / run / fly / drive anywhere anyways. :smileymad:

KellyM Watkins wrote:

Thanks a bunch! Cant even roll back to a previous viewer now. Great!! So I have to walk - stop local chat message - walk stop - object spoke - walk - ah you know what why don't I just stand still for my entire duration in Secondlife, as the bloody chat window won't let me walk / run / fly / drive anywhere anyways. :smileymad:

You can fix it still!

Here is how -

fix.png

1. Go to your 'Me' option, then preferences options. Select the setup tab and then for the 'Software Updates' option, select 'Download and install updates manually'. This will stop your SL viewer from forcing you to update to the new CHUI interface update.

2. Uninstall the Second Life viewer on your computer

3. Go to this URL and download the previous V3 Viewer update on the blue box

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Release/3.4.5

Now you can use the V3 viewer normally like before without the worry of adapting to the new CHUI chat interface. Your welcome!

Viewer 3.4.5 is the viewer with chat issues. I like the chat to show and fade away but able to be brought back to read again. Now it opens a box mixed up with private IMs. If I "tear off" an IM I still have an open chat box at the bottom obstructing my view. All tooo easy to write in chat what was meant to be private and why take up space with a permanent chat box? The IM icons were unobtrusive and let you know who you were IMing without the clutter of a useless toolbar.

Dont follow the advice to disable automatic updates, it will make your SL far worse in the long run. I suggest everyone do two things to start getting used to the new chat user interface.  1) go into chat preferences and experiment with the options there for what happens when you receive messages from friends, and groups and other sources. You can cut down on the number of popups dramatically when you do. 2) make sure that chat button is on your toolbar becase that is a good vidual clue that you have a new message now that the chiclets in the upper right are gone.

Love it or hate it the changes are here, best to start to figure out how to adjust the settings to work better for you.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4034 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.