Please IP block of copybotters

OceanIsGrey

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4003 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

You
DO
have to see the content to prove it's fake or copied.  Even then, with all the digital forensic technology, there is a large portion of the data that will remain not proven one way or the other. 

To stop you from embarrassing yourself, with all your "hostile" quoting, I can tell you: I have bought several hairstyles from this store and compared them with the demos from the original creators. They are stolen from well known shops like Truth, Magika, Catwa, Lelutka and more. You see, they don't just look alike, THEY ARE EXACTLY THE SAME THING, only with different name! Same sculpts, same textures, same everything. They come unboxed, no description on the listings, the owner is only 1 month old (several days old when this all started), and the worse of all, he uses as keywords the names of the stores he is ripping off. (I found out by accident when I was searching for "Magika"). I have contacted the creators, and since the store is there for some time now, I think they couldn't do much themselves.

I think that if LL (or any other company for that matter) were willing to do something, they could easily compare the data in those textures and uvmaps and they would certainly find them identical. They wouldn't be able to block IPs or anything, since that would demand a court order I suppose (I m not familiar with US law, since I live in Europe), but they could surely unlist the items, which is their right & duty.

It would be a simple thing to detect a copy-botting script and prevent it from working.  IF LL would put that code into their sim builds, there would be no need to police MP / in world stores, etc.  It just wouldn't work.  They'd save a lot of time / money on having to investigate every single IP infringement with a solution like this. 

So, how about it LL?

My two cents (L$5)

Ciaran Laval wrote:

It's not code either, it's what's viewable and for Second Life to work we need to view things, those viewable things can be intercepted.

I think it's the "interception" that's the problem... everyone can look as long as they don't touch *winks*

So how..without some form of code, do you think this interception occurs?

Ilyra Chardin wrote:

I think it's the "interception" that's the problem... everyone can look as long as they don't touch *winks*

So how..without some form of code, do you think this interception occurs?

The basic issue is that the stuff has already left the server at that point. Every graphical viewer downloads all the objects in range, then creates copies of them in local memory, in order to display them. That's fundamental to how the system works. The naughty business really only comes from one more step, and that is to permanently save those downloads.

Thank you very much for backing me up on the subject. I believe everyone needs to agree that LL is lenient to sort thieves out of troubles. It almost feels like LL is rewarding thieves by not doing anything sponteneously such as ---like you aforementioned--- 'unlisting the flagged shops,' or 'suspending those shops on hold so they can't make sales, as well as paypal process suspension' etc. And how about give them stern warnings that they should return the earned lindens to LL. That's one way to stop infringment flowing on the MP disadvantaging the honest designers who are trying to make SL more attractive. My question is why LL is sitting oddly by !! Not to mention, the flagging button leads to the warning that it's the violation of doing it so. What the hell is that ! 

I think this Thief (I'll call this person this) needs to be punished. I do want to write a petition to LL that this kind of behaviour really does affect my shopping experience, and I'm more wary of spending my money on SL. I just don't understand what this company is thinking in terms of doing business. If they'd rather lose a money spender over some cheap **bleep** who steals money from customers and LL then it's their choice. I know many of my friends in SL are more cautious of shopping on the MP now for the fact that LL won't do anything. 

Those ripped-off designers must do something promptly to get rid of this thief. And I really want to see this **bleep** gets punished for that. LL is going to lose many good customers in a long run. 

ok , bout copybotting and what LL do....NOTHING..I also can tell a story -_-

I found a person on our Sim copybotting my buildings ...in the first moment I thought O_o wtf *sorry*

I banned him and my viewer did a crash ...after relog I send a AR to LL , than 1 day later we found in the Profil of this Person a Webside where he shows proud his copied stuff even my buildings and sculpts ...next AR ..

I wrote also a DCMA cause I am the creator of the sculptmaps and textures , again some days later we found my and other peoples stolen buildings inworld (his Name as creator)

nearly 20 of my friends wrote AR's ..I did the next DCMA

and you belive this Person is banned or kicked out of SL ...nu he isnt ...he still write IMs to Friends call them *hahaha loosers* and other things

sorry ,but I ever thought copybotting is a violation of ToS but if everyone who want can steal without any consequense than I can stop building , it isnt fun to  build  something in sl ..if such a person still can login with the same avatar and I dunno how many alts -.-

OceanIsGrey wrote:

I know many of my friends in SL are more cautious of shopping on the MP now for the fact that LL won't do anything.

I agree with a lot of what's been said, but I wanted to address this part right here. The MP is far from the worst place for stolen content. I have found far, far, far more stolen content inworld over the years than I have ever seen(or seen others point out) on Slex,Xtreet,Onrez and MP combined. If people are going to be wary of shopping, specifically because of stolen content, or in reaction to it(which can be a good thing), MP is not the palce I'd start shopping conservatively. Though, I would shop with caution there too, inworld is far worse and definitely worthy of extra precautions.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4003 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.