Shadow and sunbeam effect - prims

Fidelity Quintessa

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4041 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Can anyone tell me where I can find tree shadow or sunbeam effects?  As I don't (yet) know how to create these prims myself, I can only look for them.

I found a few 'tree shadow' prims in a freebie store, which has now closed, but I would really like to know if there are any more being sold out there.

Shadow effects and sunbeam effects, I  am interested in these kinds of prims and the play of light and shadow and they seem pretty hard to come by, so if anyone knows of a good merchant I'd be grateful.

2 answers to this question

What you need is to create partially transparent textures in GIMP or Photoshop.

The shadow's the easiest.  Get an image of a tree against the sky.  Manipulate the image so the tree is all black.   Delete everything in the image that is not tree.  Then make it about 60-70 percent transparent.  Resize the image to 256x256, save as a .PNG file, upload it to SL.  Place it on a big flat prim.  Instant tree shadow!

Sunbeams are cylinders, or sometimes long flat prims intersecting in an X.  To texture, start with a blank image on a transparent background.  Now paint a streak of white across the middle of the image, using a gradient so that it fades out to the sides and also at the ends.  Save and import as above.  Apply to your prim.  You may find you need to tweak your bright streak to get the effect you want.  Use the Inspect function on a few sunbeams you like in SL, to get an idea of the prim shapes and textures used.

Make your shadow and sunbeam prims Phantom!  You don't want people bonking their nose on a sunbeam :matte-motes-grin:

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4041 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.