16 yr old posing as 20?

Tululla

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4045 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have recently met a person who told me they were 20 years old. I only later found out after meeting him in real life and the police coming to my home that he was actually barely 16 and has been posing as an adult since joining second life accesing adult sims and lying to women in order to have relationships with them.

Yeah I guess you could say I am sad to have fallen for such a trick however, when we are in second life, I presumed that those who are under age and technically still children would have limited access to areas which are for adults only. So what do I do now, he is still in second life still pretending to be an adult, still accesing adult sims and content and still lying about his age to others? 

6 answers to this question

I'm certain that there are some underage people lying about their age in SL.  If you get proof of this, submit an Abuse Report at once.  Linden Lab takes age violations very seriously and they will be removed quickly. 

NOTE:  I said PROOF, not suspicion.  For example, if someone states in text chat or IM that they are underage.  Accusing someone of being underage when they are not can produce serious consequences for the accused person...at the least, a suspended account and a difficult,time consuming process to prove their real age to LL.  So please be sure before you report someone!

If you are fooled by an "age imposter" like this poster was, remember that it's the kid who lied about their age.  You are not at fault (although, things being what they are today, you may have a legal battle on your hands to prove it.)

One quick (but not 100% reliable) test is to invite your new friend to a Moderate or Adult area.  If they cannot teleport there, they're under age.  While this test won't eliminate people who lie about their age at registration, you can at least use it to show good faith if the "police come to your door".

• Like 1

What you are experiencing is a problem.  And for us users in SL we are entirely on our own if what happened to you happens to any one of us.  LL has their butts covered in a legal sense with the ToS and conditions stated for joining SL.  We have next to nothing to cover ourselves.  That's the problem with anonymity.  You  have no way to know if who you are interacting with is who or what they present themselves to be.  A 95 year old man posing as a 22 year old female model or, as in your case, a child posing as an adult........you can't see them, you can hear them but with voice morphing what good is that?  It's a mess and there is no easy resolution to it (not since LL closed the Teen Grid a couple years ago).  All you can do after the fact is file the Abuse Report for an underaged  resident in adult areas.....and put the monkey on LL's back.  But as Lindal mentioned, that is another problem all in itself because LL is going to put the person reported as underage account on hold until positive proof is provided to LL that they are of legal age (18 years) or older.  Again LL does that to keep their butts covered and the accused is going to have to jump through hoops if they, in fact, are of legal and the person making the report is mistaken (or doing it on purpose knowing what the accused is going to have to do to regain access to SL..........big time griefing tool for those who like that crap).  It's not a good situation and I'm sure it's happened way more often than just your case (most people won't come to a forum to admit to such a lapse of common sense).  I'm not blaming you but you, yourself, admitted you should have been more careful.  Tough way to learn a lesson............I sincerely hope you get the real life situation taken care without huge legal expenses and/or problems.

I'm not going to go through my concerns like I did a couple years ago when LL merged the Teen Grid to the Main Grid.  I got shouted down enough back then to last a lifetime.  But I do hope you get your problem cleared up with your local law enforcement quickly and easily (and no huge expenses).  Contrary to what Lindal said

-------------------------------------

If you are fooled by an "age imposter" like this poster was, remember that it's the kid who lied about their age.  You are not at fault (although, things being what they are today, you may have a legal battle on your hands to prove it.)

-----------------------------------------

the kid who lied to you is under no pressure to do anything at all.  He lied..........kids lie all the time (so do adults but kids tend to lie a little more).  In this day and age with all the school teachers acting inappropriately with underage students, law enforcement is not going to be easily convinced that you, as the adult in the encounter, are not culpable in some way.  They are going to want positive proof that he lied.  That means law enforcement is going to have to get logs and records from Linden Lab where the lie occurred........that requires a court order or subpoena for those records (or a search warrant).  That document is going to have to served at LL's headquarters in San Francisco.  That. alone, is not going to be cheap........add the legal assistance that is almost definitely going to be needed that is likely not only not cheap, but dam* expensive.  I hope you don't have to find out exactly how expensive that can actually be.

It can happen to any one of us in SL.  I adjusted my actions in SL back when the merge took place and was laughed at by some for being paranoid.  I really hated to read your post because this is the worse of my fears that might take place.  I don't feel vindicated......only disappointed that my fears were, in fact, valid.  Again, I hope it works out for you without too many headaches.

There is no test you can do online to proof others statements and nothing you do will help if it comes to a lawsuit.

This is the 20th century witch-hunt. The over-protection wont help the real abused children just looks good in the press and for the next elections.

@Peggy:I read all the concerns regarding the merge and agreed but LL did not, as usual.

Monti

• Like 1

when police come to your home RL then they will identify themselves. they will give you their contact details. name rank phone no. etc

AR the account of the boy. include the RL details of the police officer doing the investigation in the AR. forward copy of the AR to the police officer as well

that kinda focusses everybody mind when do this way

You can file an Abuse Report against this person. As someone else said, do this against other users only if you have PROOF, which in this case, clearly, you do.

Also locate your chat logs with this person. Make sure your computer is saving ALL of your chat logs, including local. You can give these chat logs to the police to prove that you believed this person to be of age.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4045 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.