Sign in to follow this  
niceguy Halsey

MP carts blow up again?

Spent a leisurely day perusing new stuff on the MP.  Found 5-6 items of interest that I threw into my cart.  Mostly low cost items, but not all.  Came back an hour later and all was gone and order history shows nothing.  I can't possibly re-construct what was there, so the vendors lose out.  I'm sure I will miss what I already have forgotten I had.  Another day in SL

I realize shopping carts can be useful either as future "wish lists" and/or as a way to pay once when purchasing a variety of items; however, in my experience as a merchant, every item purchased from my MP store that had an issue in delivery was part of a shopping cart transaction that included multiple items.

My recommendation, and what I do personally, is to purchase items one at a time.  It takes very little extra time.  The addition of shopping carts to the MP was anticipated to model those in other well-known online shopping venues; the reality is that, unfortunately, the shopping carts on the MP often do not operate as they should.

For wish lists, I just keep a folder in my browser bookmarks and bookmark items I wish to check out later.

By giving people an option to save a wishlist that sends them items in a safe group you eliminate large loads of purchases and then people feeling upset due to failures. They will maybe come back later if something fails and still have the list, plus a wishlist code in the backend opens up a few ideas about purchases, one of them aimed at a larger event making and hanging out aid, another aims at people being delighted by automatic purchases that are intelligently created lots of goods that prompt and promote activity and another issue of traditions with a slant at reminding users to come back and have fun with friends via rez day reminders! This action plan will aid in making money, delighting customers and also maybe make the world a better place...though it could also make it worse if it crashes more and people go crazy and take to the streets in furious destruction...a swarm of like ten people in small towns, but in bigger ones whole TENS of second life users could go out and break cup holders with anger, drive agressively and smash into shopping carts...and not care, and also some may clog arteries by eating comfort food and leave kids that get angry and start making voodoo dolls of ronald mcdonald, who may look like this one guy down the road who just got some ketchup on his face and then he drops in pain as the voodoo gets the wrong address and BAM....he was to be the one who seeded a future presedent who saves the world BUT he thinks his ex is doing it via voodoo and totally never marries...then cyborgs have to travel back to hunt out the voodoo doll maker and might totally trample my garden!!!! Yeah, you better watch out with these plans...they have power...BUT, alas I will unleash this awsome and powerfull idea on the world....viola, the rambling text below contains it....here it is....Ok, NOW, BE AMAZED...wait....ok, here it is..../me clears throat and starts to walk around rambling and not making sense...

Wishlist + a subscribe type feature that randomly chooses stuff to send you = presents for those who budget! Just keep adding things you want, put a priority number on the item right after clicking the "add to auto gift list" and done! So easy...well, OK it isn't.

BUT, people who like you (or even hate you, why not...a little stalking and harrassment is low cost with second lifes low prices and some entities have HUGE budgets anyway!) could buy things off the list so they will be sent.

In, fact, it could tie into a auto "rez day alert" thingy (coded by Halmark Linden? Ok, that's a joke) may also work to institute a rez day tradition and people who are on the persons friend list may then see the date pop on thier "Events Arriving" part of thier brand spanking new Second Life PIM tab or window, or even elsewhere because it could integrate with facebook, google plus or some other profile thingy that has apps that people use to aid thier social life and communications! This would remind people to come back to second life, aid in retention, start a tradition that leads to more commission and happier merchants while also delighting the majority of customers who purchase and use stuff (many, maybe 90%+ might like to buy stuff at some point, right?) in SL in a few different ways!

The people who use this subscribasurpriseandgift list would solve the age old "What am I to do" by gettign fun prompts, one they obviously would love (because they chose them or they feel the love as friends purchase them!) and get a new activity of keeping up with all those friends you have to gift stuff to!! Yes, the ones with 400 or so friends would be very busy, but the prices are low for some things in SL, you can always resort to buying a few prefabs and personalising them with your own handywork or maybe even something else.

Yes, the next thing is I should just solve this myself. I guess I can't because I don't own the marketplace BUT I could start institutionalization of a Rez Day by making or promoting Rez Day reminder services, gift of themonth sort of services or automailer services to automail friends on their list via coding a client that reads the friends list and then checks thier profiles and makes a list that is stored on the users hard drive that it checks and then warns them or autofinds a folder or maybe a scripted object they where as a HUD or whatever to send presents automagically. SocLife Viewer? For those with sock collecting hobbies? People who steal right socks (HEY, I realised this IS a reality in second life....there ARE left or right footed socks here!? Wierd!) No, Soc for Social and Life because living is about doing stuff, if you can't, are hindered to much or wont do stuff you have no life...no worries, if you read this you must have a life....so even if you are in a goulag or being tortured you can always say you still had a life....lest we forget the wrongs and rights of torture and governance.

Yeah, we all could use and enjoy all this extra code. It would be take memory to make it work BUT after all....it may pay to use a subscription gift or surprise purchase list and this might be a good idea. With a little AI or a basic "goes with" part of management, tied also in with some algorithm that detects seasons or thier own event lists (like, christmas items may need a mark or maybe they can make thier own catagories like "hang out" and "sports" so they can have items sent that are varied, no two weeks alike ect. and also maybe syncronized with friends gift lists and then make an Event Generator!!!