Sign in to follow this  
Slvr2 Torii

A dog sings

This isn't about me.  It's about another AV. 

Situation:

They went to a karaoke place.  Someone is singing.  While that person is singing their dog barks.  This other AV says in local text chat something very close to "Dogs are generally good singers."

Question:

Using a scale of 0 to 10 with 0 being totally non offensive/rude and 10 being the ultimate in offensive/rude.  Please give your rating of the chat statement "Dogs are generally good singers."   If you can expand on your ratings it would be most helpful. 

I have the other AVs permission to re-post something close to their open chat statement.

(edit: to clarify that the statement was made in local text chat.)

3? Only because it could certainly be taken in a rude way, especially through chat. But given the context that the dog was barking during the singing, I really wouldn't find it offensive. Some dogs actually DO "sing along" when their owners are singing, or to particular songs when they hear them. I would take it as a slightly off-color joke, rather than an offensive comment.

Ariel Vuissent wrote:

3? Only because it could certainly be taken in a rude way, especially through chat. But given the context that the dog was barking during the singing, I really wouldn't find it offensive. Some dogs actually DO "sing along" when their owners are singing, or to particular songs when they hear them. I would take it as a slightly off-color joke, rather than an offensive comment.

So you're saying the singer is being called a dog due to context?

Maybe 2, if that. It's more of how it was said then the actual words spoken. If they say it in a snickering manner, then yes, it would be insulting. If they sounded like they were in good spirits and just chuckling because the dog piped in, then there is no insult there at all.

So you're saying the singer is being called a dog due to context?

She is saying about dogs that do sing along with music, not that the person's avi was being reffered to as a dog. At least that's how I read it.

Raven Quine wrote:

Maybe 2, if that. It's more of how it was said then the actual words spoken. If they say it in a snickering manner, then yes, it would be insulting. If they sounded like they were in good spirits and just chuckling because the dog piped in, then there is no insult there at all.

Interesting.

I should clarify that it was text chat, not voice.  In general no one gets on voice while someone is singing.

You read correctly. :)

What I meant was, some dogs do sing along to music, so the poster could have been referring to the ACTUAL dog that was "singing," i.e. barking, during the song. It could easily have been meant as a joke about the dog, NOT as a rude or cruel comment to the singer.

If it were said out of the blue for no reason while someone sang, a 10.  Given the fact that a RL dog was barking in the background, it was obviously a joke and no reflection on the singer, so I give it a 2 not because the remark itself was rude, but making a joke in the middle of a performance is.

For me.. totally a 0. Even if I were the one singing, I'd chuckle. Even if it were meant as offensive towards me(if I were the one singing), I'd still chuckle. Although I don't see how it could have been meant as an offense towards the singer. It was a comment on the dog barking, which actually happened.

How could one not chuckle though, even if embarrassed? It's funny. It's happened before to me, either a dog, or cat would chime in right when I didn't want or need them to chime in. They're about as predictable as children. Who, also, can do similar things and pipe in just when they probably shouldn't. It happens, and imo it happens because we all need a little laugh now and again.

If you can't laugh at the little things that go awry in life, you've got an awful lot to be sad about. That's just a shame, imo.

I'd give it a 0, the remark was obviously in regard to the dog barking in the background. As for what Amethyst said about it being rude to make jokes in local while someone is singing, at one time I thought it was rude, but I've been to a great many concerts in SL and text conversations in local chat are more the norm than not in SL. I had a friend who used to sing in SL and he said it took him a long time to get used to seeing everyone chatting while he was singing, he wasn't used to that, but then chalked it up to one of those RL v SL differences and got used to it.