crown capital save the earth management

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3134 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On Saturday I attended a talk on climate change and its effect on forests. What I expected to take away from this presentation was hard facts and solid data to let me make some real conclusions based on sound scientific reasoning. I left the talk very disappointed.

There is little doubt in my mind that climate change is occurring. The discussion on which factors cause these warm and cool cycles certainly muddies the water.

We are bombarded by information at all levels and most of it is slanted one way or the other. Everyone has a spin to put on it.

The nightly news has morphed since the time of Cedric Adams and is more entertainment than actual news reporting. Ratings and how to keep listenership have changed the whole system dramatically.

Climate change is a very complicated issue and has numerous variables that go into it. Almost all our energy comes from or has come from the sun. Our coal, gas and oil reserves are the product of past interaction of plants and our sun. Energy from the sun is the prime mover in this equation and the sun is the reason that life on our planet exists. How man’s overpopulation and abuse of the earth’s resources contribute to the natural phenomena of climate change is what is debated.

Last summer has been deemed warmer than normal for parts of the northern hemisphere. Warmer springs combined with milder winters give some credibility to a warmer environment over time. A natural warming trend over the last 8,000 years has turned the earth into a very comfortable place for humans to reproduce and prosper.

Farming areas once covered by a mile of glacial ice are now producing crops to feed the hungry. Trends are established over time and there are trends among trends. A short time period of a few hundred years is really too short of a time period to make any viable predictions. Google “Little Ice Age” and see what can happen to a relatively large area over a short period of time.

Getting back to the presentation, the main culprit in the global warming story is manmade carbon dioxide. Burning of fossil fuels supposedly drives climate change causing the earth to warm because of the greenhouse effect. Is carbon dioxide a bad thing? Carbon dioxide is the reason for life on earth. It is converted by plants through photosynthesis to produce carbohydrates and water along with the byproduct oxygen. Again, energy from the sun makes photosynthesis possible. Is too much carbon dioxide a bad thing?

It was stressed that the main producers of carbon dioxide was the burning of fossil fuels. Volcanos also add some to the atmosphere. Oversized SUVs have been targeted as major contributors. The facts are that carbon dioxide is produced by many things including human respiration. Any time you build a fire in the back yard lots of carbon dioxide is produced. Heating your home produces it. Decomposition of any organic materials including rotting vegetation and even rust produce it. The list could go on and on.

Many anecdotal examples of man-made climate change and the corresponding potential catastrophic effects can be given. Glacial ice is melting at an alarming rate which will lead to coastal flooding. What happened to the mile thick glacial icepack that existed just 8,000 years ago over the very site where you are sitting reading this now? That was just one of 10 or more ice ages that have been identified through geological records to have occurred.

The water in the Great Lakes is evaporating due to staying ice free longer. Without the weight of the glaciers, the land around the Great Lakes has experienced a rebound and is rising.

Moose populations are declining because of the increasing temperatures and some are dying of heatstroke due to rapid respiration in an attempt to stay cool. Inbreeding, over-browsing leading to habitat destruction and parasites could also contribute to the localized moose decline.

Invasives are moving into the area because of climate change. Exotic worms, deer and wolves are becoming more abundant. If you think about it, every bit of fauna and flora that exists in this area today could be considered invasive because not much could live here with a mile thick ice sheet 8,000 years ago. The examples are endless.

The biggest problem I see with misinformation and the lack of any solid data that can lead one to a valid conclusion are knee jerk reactions. A classic example was our rush to get green with ethanol replacement of fossil fuel. When it costs more energy to produce a gallon of ethanol than that gallon of ethanol can produce and when government subsidies are used to keep prices down something is amiss! But I digress.

There is a multitude of factors that will affect the warming process. Man’s activities are certainly a part of the equation. We need to conserve wherever we can and do whatever can be done to tone down the excesses.

Climate change is not black and white but more than 50 shades of gray. This is my story and I’m sticking to it!

Phil Deakins wrote:

I don't believe it. Aliens from New Zealand can't even win a totally won game of cricket so how can they possibly fix the climate change?

I saw that on the news just before. lol

is bc we the only country left in the whole world that play cricket the way is suppose to be played. not like them other countries what ruin the game the way they play now. like they lost the spirit of the game and forget what is the true meaning of test cricket. like proper cricket

is not about winning is test cricket. if just want to win then can just play in your pyjamas. test cricket about being gracious and that

is not gracious or polite to crush your guests just bc you can. so you let your guests the visiting team to have a honourable draw after 5 days in the field. just so they not feel bad. is what civil polite people do

the English players was very gracious as well. like they accept the draw offered to them in the spirit was intended. so is still hope for them still in England

dunno about their supporters tho. half the time they think they at the rugby these days. but oh! well. we just keep setting a good example for them and maybe one day they will be ok. like understand what is meant by: that's not cricket

q; jejejejeje (:

You make a very good point, 16. I think your cricket team leaned it from we English, but not quite well enough. Cricket should be played in such a gentlemanly way that merely allowing the guest team to draw isn't good enough. The guest team should be allowed to win, of course, because they are guests and should be treated as guests. England were very good at that not many years ago, but in recent times, young yobos have managed to get into the team and they are so ruthless that they sometime beat (win) our guests. The whole country feels shame when it happens but the world is changing for the worse.

Actually, I do think your team learned gentlemanly (proper) cricket well enough but, even there in NZ, times are changing and your team's principles are giving way to those who put results before the spirit of the game - hence 3 draws and not 2 or 3 losses.

Arghhh I spend 20 years fleeing that dreaded game and think I find a place blissfully bereft of a mention but no - stumps and pads and wickets follow even here - I must be cursed or being punished...

As for the OP, yes all very generically worthy (unless the 50 shades was some sort of vague book plug) but the text can be found practically verbatim all over the net. Even got a mention at various 'meme' tracking sites.

i certainly agree about the yobo element

is terrible how they ruining the game. all this diving and rolling in the mud. is very unbecoming to see young gentlemen doing this these days. not like in the olden days

is still hope tho for our young men. like can see this when they forced into this scandalous behaviour by these yobo managers that are a blight on the modern game

like 3 times on the news i saw our fine young gentlemen resist doing what their yobo managers are trying to make them do. like go diving and rolling in the mud. was splendid what our young men did. at the very last minute they remember who they are. that they proper gentlemen and pull back. all the yobos in their armchairs go oh! noes they dropped it. useless!

but i am very proud of them i am. bc is unsporting and very ungentlemanly that kind of behaviour. in proper cricket you supposed to just stand there and applaud a jolly good shot when the batsman puts the ball between the fielders. not go diving and rolling round in the mud like some common person in a unsporting way

so i think that our game is in good hands and i have faith that our young gentlemen will continue to play the game in the proper way and continue to conduct themselves accordingly. despite the vain aspirations of the yobos what think test cricket is some kinda mud wrestling competition

+

about gifting the game to your visitors. well sometimes you have to do that. but only when you have the good fortune to already be 1 up in the series. if do more frequently then can be seen to be a bit patronising. which unbecoming of a gentleman as well

(:

I think 16 has struck the nail on the head about global warming!

It's all the bouncing up and down, yelling and breathing heavy at sporting events that causes it. All that extra breathing expelling hot air is causing it.

/me rereads what he has written and has a nagging feeling that there is something else that falls into the category of bouncing up and down, yelling and breathing heavy and can't for the life of him figure out what it is.

sirhc DeSantis wrote:

Arghhh I spend 20 years fleeing that dreaded game and think I find a place blissfully bereft of a mention but no - stumps and pads and wickets follow even here - I must be cursed or being punished...

As for the OP, yes all very generically worthy (unless the 50 shades was some sort of vague book plug) but the text can be found practically verbatim all over the net. Even got a mention at various 'meme' tracking sites.

Yay! A chance to post one of my very favorite articles, two years old now from BBC Sport. For an American this is almost hilariously funny, because we know what all the words are, we just have NO idea what they mean being used in the context we see them. Enjoy.

"By 9.30am, 90 minutes before the start of play, hopefuls arriving at St John's Wood Underground station were being turned away, while the ground was beginning to fill with those lucky enough to get a seat. [this is the last sentence I actually understand]

It took half an hour for the first wicket to arrive but when it did, it was the crucial one of first innings centurion Rahul Dravid.

Dropped on 35 by Ian Bell at short leg, Dravid added only one more run to his score before he flung the bat at a wide away-swinger from Anderson and was pouched by Matt Prior behind the stumps.

VVS Laxman eased his way to a 53rd Test fifty and was looking comfortable at the crease before he was tempted into a cross-batted pull at an Anderson loosener and pulled straight to Bell at mid-wicket and departed for 56.

In the next over, three wickets became four as Gautam Gambhir was deceived in the flight by Graeme Swann and trapped leg before wicket for 22. The left-hander asked for the decision to be reviewed by the TV umpire but replays showed there was no edge onto the pads to save him.

Enter Tendulkar, for perhaps his final Test appearance at Lord's, but after getting off the mark with a four off his toes, he looked out of sorts having missed much of Sunday's fourth day because of a viral infection.

Tendulkar walks off after what may be his last Test innings at Lord's He was lucky to survive an lbw appeal from Broad - one of a number of poor decisions by umpire Billy Bowden - and was dropped in the slips by England captain Strauss, but then missed a straight ball from Anderson and was trapped in front for 12 off 68 balls.

Raina and Dhoni added 60 either side of tea, raising the prospect of India saving the game, but the new ball did the trick for England, with Chris Tremlett finding the edge as Dhoni limply dangled his bat away from his body and Prior doing the rest.

The last four wickets fell in quick succession as Harbhajan Singh skied an attempted pull and Broad clean bowled Praveen Kumar.

An Anderson away-swinger drew an edge from the excellent Raina, before Broad (3-57) completed an excellent personal performance by snaring Ishant Sharma leg-before."

Gaudin Himmel wrote: "It's all the bouncing up and down, yelling and breathing heavy at sporting events that causes it. All that extra breathing expelling hot air is causing it."

Sports? There is a source of hot air and other climate affecting gases, that is far worse than sports: Politicians.
Especially conservative politicians, Republicans, Tories or in Germany, where I come from, the CDU.
The idiocy these critters produce on a daily basis is absolutely unbelievable.
A billion cows cannot compete with that.

LOL Dillon. If I hadn't read your intro to that article I would have found it interesting as I read it, because every word makes perfect sense. But I was laughing out loud when I read it and imagined someone like you, who has no knowledge at all of cricket, trying to follow it. Brilliant! :D

FYI, England did very well on that day according to the article :)

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Raina and Dhoni added 60 either side of tea,

this the important part. in test cricket unlike all them other sports played by barbarians. have to stop for tea. like proper tea

if more sporting gentlemen and ladies did this then will defo help save the planet

+

is a scandal also what some of these young ladies are wearing these days. like put some clothes on already. you not in a haybarn you know. well you might be another time and is ok that you do. but keep it on the farm ok!! decorum please ladies

and like Gaudin said. will defo reduce the heavy breathing by heaps all over the world by at least half the whole population. and save the planet more

+

is affecting young gentlemen as well. like in lots of sports these days they go running round taking their shirts off. celebrating. is very common behaviour that. unseemly even

even worse is some sports now where they not even wear any shirts at all. these young men. how can we ever hope to enjoy the game if we have to keep averting our eyes. bc if we don't then like have fainting spells. swoonings even some time. is not good at all !!!

And speaking of cricket, don't forget that famous bit of radio commentary when England were playing the West Indies. Getting the listeners up to date on what was happening on the field and who was doing what, the commentator said, "The bowler's Holding, the batsman's Willey.". Priceless :D

For those who don't know, the West Indian bowler's name was Michael Holding and the English batsman's name was Peter Willey. The bowler is similar(ish) to a pitcher in baseball.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3134 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.