bandwidth question

Syo Emerald

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4040 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I'm havening a short question.

A while ago I read about someone haveing the problem that music streams go on and off for him and someone suggested it may be a problem with Sl taking all bandwidth and leaving nothing for the stream. Well, I'm haveing the same kind of problem again and can't find the old thread....

So...who do I adjust the amount of bandwidth SL takes so that music will play normally?

Edit: I'm using Firestorm and have no idea why I'm havening those problems since a few months, but not before.

2 answers to this question

Hi Syo --

Yes, bandwidth may be your problem.  In a nutshell, the issue is that the Maximum Bandwidth setting you set in Preferences tells the viewer how much of your available bandwidth it is allowed to use for basic functions, but those do not include the extra bandwidth that you need for streaming media and Voice.  If you set the Max Bandwidth too high and then step into a sim where your viewer needs a lot of bandwidth for basic functions, it will use all that you have.  Nothing will be left for streaming media or Voice, so they will cut out.  The trick is to set your Max Bandwidth to no more than 75% to 80% of your measured download bandwidth, so that doesn't happen.

ETA: Obviously, the other possibility is that you set the Max Bandwidth too high and then your ISP decreases the bandwidth that you have available.  So, 1500 kB/sec may have been a good setting yesterday, but today that's 100% of your available bandwidth and, once again, there's nothing left for streaming media.  That's how a good setting one day can become a poor setting a few days later.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4040 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.