How do u delete I'm conversations in SL viewer

Myfanwy Acer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4040 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

4 answers to this question

By default, Second Life automaticallys saves local chat and IM conversations to log files on your hard drive. These are not saved in the viewer.  Here's how to find your IMs records:

Log files

Log files are saved to a location that depends on you operating system:

• Windows XPC:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\SecondLife\Avatarname\chat.txt
  • Windows 7 and VistaC:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\chat.txt
  • Mac OSXUsers/Username/Library/Application Support/SecondLife/Avatarname/chat.txt

Where Username is your system account name and Avatarname is your Second Life username.

32px-KBcaution.png Important: You may need to enable your file browser's ability to view hidden files to access your chat logs at their default location.

To delete the IMs, just send the "chat.txt" to your trash bin on your computer and empty it. 

• Like 3

Also, your viewer will automatically show, in grayed out form, the end of your last conversation with that person.  I don't know of a way to delete that.

Question:  WHY do you want to delete IMs?  You can delete your own IM and chat logs, as the others have said, but the other person can keep their own logs, and you can't delete those.  In addition, LL logs EVERYTHING, in case of Abuse Report complaints, and you certainly can't delete those logs!

The bottom line is, once you say something, it can't be unsaid.  Much like Real Life!

EDIT:  Thank you, Nyll!  I have always kept logs, so I didn't know that.

• Like 1

@ Lindal.

The viewer only loads previous chat in grayed out form if you have the IMs already stored on your hard drive so if you untick save to hard drive, they never appear. Linden Lab only retain conversations for 14 days far as I know. Can't do anything about logs on other computers of course.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4040 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.