Second Life is too expensive!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1901 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 1/29/2019 at 2:58 PM, Lindal Kidd said:

Over the last three years, land and prims have become much cheaper.  And yet, people are STILL complaining that "SL is too expensive."

People will always complain. And free speech means they are allowed to. The trick is to not rise to the bait. Just because somebody has something to say doesn't mean that they have a point (Me especially).

The good thing about necrothreadery is that some things are interesting to read from the hindsight of 6 years later:

That "box" is precisely why you can walk into any shop in SL and purchase some clothing that is compatible with your avatar.

If there were dozens of different mesh avatars and no standard, you're ability to find clothes compatible with your avatar would be severely constricted to only those who supported the avatar you used.

Most clothing creators would pick ONE avatar to support, and eventually it could become clear that one body or another would be the dominant avatar that EVERYONE used. In order to have the most clothing options, everyone would have an identical body.

Not exactly ideal for creativity.

She wasn't completely wrong, but it's far less apocalyptic than predicted.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

People will always complain. And free speech means they are allowed to. The trick is to not rise to the bait. Just because somebody has something to say doesn't mean that they have a point (Me especially).

No such thing as free speech on a privately owned companies forum,  they will allow a certain point to be made and said, but if a line is crossed, it can be nuked from orbit and deleted by the staff of the company and this is at their discretion.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

No such thing as free speech on a privately owned companies forum,  they will allow a certain point to be made and said, but if a line is crossed, it can be nuked from orbit and deleted by the staff of the company and this is at their discretion.

B I N G O

20 hours ago, Fontula said:

The good thing about necrothreadery is that some things are interesting to read from the hindsight of 6 years later:

She wasn't completely wrong, but it's far less apocalyptic than predicted.

I think she's entirely correct to be honest. Thats is pretty much exactly what its like now. Especially as of late.

I now struggle to find clothing on the market that ISN'T made for xxx body and is just normal standard mesh with alpha layers. I have a mesh body don't get me wrong but besides my Kemono I rarely wear them. Especially when it comes to Maitreya, the developer has this idea that only the privileged few are allowed the developer kit which in my opinion hampers any form of creativity as only the "super duper maitreya friends developers club" is allowed to officially develop clothing for the body and the rest have to make do with the 3rd party dev kit, which has its issues, and have no choice about it as Maitreya is pretty much the dominant female body on the market.

I miss the days when you just created clothing and everyone could wear it without having to spend thousands of lindens on a mesh body, mesh head, body skin, head skin to wear clothing that is restricted to that body. I don't think I would mind so much if there was actually a decent creative variety of clothing to some of the bodies but there isn't, Maitreya for example has hundreds of pages of clothes on the marketplace and 95% of the items listed are either duplicates of some other developers "standard boring ass clothing range" with a slight alteration, make you look like you should be stood at the side of the road in the early hours of the morning offering tricks for loose change or are pages of the same boring ass item from the same boring ass developer who wants to list every single possible colour variant separately.

That barrier plus the learning curves of mesh in general have IMO lead to a decrease in creativity in Second Life. People now scoff at prims, scoff at system bodies, scoff at system clothes and yet those were the things once upon a time that ANYONE could just up and use to create something without a great deal of practice or effort. And with creators like Maitreya trying to restrict who can and can not be in the "super duper Maitreya friends developers club" I feel this is leading to a hampering of creativity as most people I know who want to make clothing or start developing feel the task is too daunting because of the sheer amount of effort you actually have to put in now.

You should see the rage I get for wearing my system body avatars xD. Its like it mentally breaks people that I could possibly want to wear a system avatar with a system look or a system avatar with standard sized mesh clothing. Have you ever seen that old movie The Exorcist, where the girls head spins round 180 degrees....they react something like that xD.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Much as I hate to agree with anyone who uses Foamy as their forum badge, I have to side with Chibi on this one.

Except that I don't get too much of the negative reactions when I wear a system avatar.  Perhaps mine is just too cute!

Haha. I forget why I put foamy as my forum badge. I'm actually not THAT much of a fan. I did have a reason for it but I can't remember what it is now.

I don't always get a negative reaction but it does happen. I call it "mesh snobbery". Those who think that in order to be part of the social clique you NEED to have the latest mesh EVERYTHING. I love my system body looks and have no intention of giving them up any time soon

Laughing at the judge Judy above me.

I haven't read the whole thread, but SL can be a bit expensive.  

Clothing fatpack 1200 lindens or more...that's 5 dollars for one clothing item like a top for an avatar!   And, a lot of the colors I'm never going to use and not even all the colors are good - like no olive green for instance...just a bunch of icky greens.  

Thankfully though with a patience, there are good to great items for all budgets, I've found. 

I've also had terrific landlords...just the best...my landlord for my little studio is always giving me free weeks.  Lots of generous people here! 

I keep a a low cost MP store to say hey SL is for all budgets.  It is best to start small when you are starting anyways.  And, I want to keep SL open to all budgets, so I keep my items as low cost as possible.

Ask a landlord if they can work within your budget...they cannot know unless you ask.

p.s.  The marketing or promoting fees are a bit expensive too - that is why some of the clothes are so high in price.  I would like to submit to SL to give the merchants perhaps 1 or 2 FREE listings a month.  Ebay offers FREE marketing like that.  I wish SL would consider that their marketing fees are a bit steep.  However, I do not pay SL's bills, so I really do not know SL's running budget.   But if Ebay can do it, so could SL, I'd think.  

Edited by FairreLilette

11 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

Clothing fatpack 1200 lindens or more.

So pick your favorite color and just buy that one. Even Wallmart is  expensive if you feel the need  to buy one of every single  color an item comes  in.

Edited by Talligurl
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Talligurl said:

So pick your favorite color and just buy that one. Even Wallmart is  expensive if you feel the need  to buy one of every single  color an item comes  in.

I do buy items in single colors.  BUT, the best thing to do is to join the group inworld of the clothing places you like and wait for 50% OFF sales.  I have bought many fatpacks at the 50% OFF sales.   I buy mostly with the sales, I'd have to say or coupons most of which are 40-50 % off coupons.  

Still, I think SL's promoting costs are too steep for me, so I never use them.  It's just too much for me.  I cannot afford it.  

58 minutes ago, Talligurl said:

There's one little detail you are overlooking.

If you just pick your favorite color and buy just that one, you'll end up with a wardrobe where everything is the same color. That's not very ... ummm... interesting.^_^

Hi, I just thought I'd come participate in this necro thread, and like many of the preceding and habitually off topic posters.. do the same.

Here's a tip to Staying On Topic: Reply to the OP, not to some random post that triggered you. Have a good day.

24 minutes ago, entity0x said:

Hi, I just thought I'd come participate in this necro thread, and like many of the preceding and habitually off topic posters.. do the same.

Here's a tip to Staying On Topic: Reply to the OP, not to some random post that triggered you. Have a good day.

The thread wants what the thread wants and there is nothing you can do to change that.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, entity0x said:

Some of the random seemingly off-topic comments are actually semi-related comments that are perfectly legitimate tangents to follow.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

There's one little detail you are overlooking.

If you just pick your favorite color and buy just that one, you'll end up with a wardrobe where everything is the same color. That's not very ... ummm... interesting.^_^

So THAT's why all my outfits are teal!

Seriously, I think Talli meant "your favorite color of the ones offered in the fatpack".

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

So THAT's why all my outfits are teal!

I bet you like cats too. :D

5 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Seriously, I think Talli meant "your favorite color of the ones offered in the fatpack".

I'm pretty sure she did. I just had to poke it with a stick. :P

15 hours ago, entity0x said:

If this is what triggers you then you better get off the forum. You're about to get a whole lot more upset 😂

Edited by chibiusa Ling
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, entity0x said:

/me follows entity's example and only replies to the OP

:D 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

On 2/1/2019 at 3:10 PM, chibiusa Ling said:

That barrier plus the learning curves of mesh in general have IMO lead to a decrease in creativity in Second Life. People now scoff at prims, scoff at system bodies, scoff at system clothes and yet those were the things once upon a time that ANYONE could just up and use to create something without a great deal of practice or effort.

We've lost at least as much as we've gained.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Actually I think having everything in black is very interesting.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1901 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.