James Samiam

Second Life is too expensive!

I wonder why there can't be some off loading from the grid to local computers now the internet has progressed as have computers since the early days of SL.  Look at the grid version of the latest SimCity which also allows for a locally run version. Most of the cost is buying or renting space on LInden's servers.  If some of the workload can be off -loaded then the prices could surely be less.  I want to build in peace and quiet and don't need to be connected to the main grid for that. 

L.L. doesn't realize that it would be much more profitable (for everyone) if they allowed volume over price. It would be a safe and painless switch if that type of change was done gradually over time. The land revenue model was a poor one right from the start and has caused years of increased damage to profitability. Revenue based on merchandise sales has already proven in other (games) to greatly maximize popularity and profits along with it and there is no good reason the second life platform would stand out as different in that regard.

But L.L. is way over controlled and influenced by those with deep pockets who desire to and enjoy a concrete sense of maximum exclusivity in SL. So we get profit damaging things such as price pumping and the promotion of transfer only items and limited quantities merchandising.

I pray that Second Life 2 doesn't repeat the same errors, but ingrained and long established 'philosophies' and those in control who promote the same are always hard to overcome without the ship sinking more abruptly or completely.

sl is ridicilously expensive. u pay 295 dolar for a region.. and u pay 600 dolar to have it set up :) that makes 4140 dolar per year.. u pay that money for what? for nothing :) u own nothing in rl. just pixels in sl :)

but u can have

1999 Honda CR-V Manual 4WD in rl :))))))))

which is 3500 dolars :)))

well in rl with that money lower than 4000 dolar, i can buy a REAL LİFE CAR . which is SOMETHING. it s better than having NOTHING in sl :)

so i say having a virtual land (which u cant inherit and bla bla bla) is ridicilous . and if people enjoy spending that much money in sl, it s ok for me :) with that amount of money spent, u can ride a virtual car in your virtual land  while i m riding my real car in real life :)

Jack Allandale ranted:

sl is ridicilously expensive.

but u can have 
1999 Honda CR-V Manual 4WD in rl
:)
))))))) 
which is 3500 dolars
:)
))

Jack, $3500 is too much. I bought a fire engine red 1999 Miata for a thousand less, two years ago. I will admit it's more fun than SL, particularly when it's snowing and I can watch the flakes gently fall in Mom's lap while we're stopped at traffic lights. Snowmobiles don't have cup holders!

While SL may seem ridiculously expensive to you, I'm not going to question the judgment of those who pay US$295/month for a region. Instead, I'll thank them for keeping the lights on and giving the rest of us lovely places to visit.

I do much of my own maintenance. Mike, my mechanic, does the hard stuff so inexpensively that I wonder why I do anything at all. And Mike is almost as attractive as his wife, who cuts my hair. When I visit them, my car and I both leave looking better than when we arrived.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, WESTCAT said:

I have to say I have done a lot of work and I am very disappointed in Second Life.  Getting ready to pull the pin No support from LL when a merchant is obviously screwing you around. 

Very sad if they put back some money into this it could be really fantastic.   The servers do seem to be over priced for sure   I can see why many are pulling out. 

/me calls @Cindy Evanier ... can we have your stuff?

• Thanks 1

Bildresultat för necromancer gif

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

It's funny...when this thread was started, SL cost WAY more than it does today, and didn't have nearly the functionality either.  Over the last three years, land and prims have become much cheaper.  And yet, people are STILL complaining that "SL is too expensive."  I suppose they will, until SL is finally entirely free.  Free land, free content.  And the next day, the grid will close because LL can't pay the server bill.

Anyway, SL is NOT expensive...if you do it right.  There are three ways to do it right.

1. Have a Basic account, and never buy anything.  Live on freebies and hunt prizes.  Make a few $L fishing or playing Linden Realms so you can maybe splurge on the occasional sale item, or tip a DJ.
  2. Have a Premium account.  Own a fair sized amount of Mainland and rent it out to tenants.  You can do the same thing without a Premium account by buying a private estate region, or regions.  Lots of people pay their tier and feed their shopping habits this way.  The most ambitious even pay all their Real Life expenses.
  3. Learn to create.  Today, this means, "learn to create mesh in Blender and texture it".  Or learn to make animations, maybe.  Learn how to run a business and sell your creations.  Again, the most successful creators support themselves in Real Life with their earnings...but there are many more creators who make at least enough that SL is "free".  Of course, there are also many more than even those whose businesses fail.  Rather like Real Life.
  • Like 6

15 hours ago, Cindy Evanier said:
17 hours ago, Ethan Paslong said:

/me calls @Cindy Evanier ... can we have your stuff?

I'm here.. quick grab the good stuff

Darn, I thought I had it

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Darn, I thought I had it

Ethan and I get up earlier on our side of the world.  We had to be fast 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Cindy Evanier said:

Ethan and I get up earlier on our side of the world.  We had to be fast 

And everyone that wants to quit seems to do it during my work day (when I have limited or no forum access) or when I'm sleeping, rather than during my evening.  

*sigh*

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Just now, LittleMe Jewell said:

And everyone that wants to quit seems to do it during my work day (when I have limited or no forum access) or when I'm sleeping, rather than during my evening.  

*sigh*

...spies you here in the forum and threatens to quit!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

*sigh*

We'll save you a spot next time!  

• Like 1

On 1/29/2019 at 6:36 PM, Madelaine McMasters said:

...spies you here in the forum and threatens to quit!

Can I have your stuff, or are you leaving it all to the Daves?