Steam : "Now Available - Patterns Early Access"

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4026 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Why do we need it?    I read up about Steam and I see no real advantage.   But one disadvantage I've seen is this:

"On November 6, 2011, Steam temporarily closed the community forums, citing potential hacking threats to the service. Subsequently, on November 10, Valve reported that the hack included a compromise of one of their customer databases, potentially allowing the perpetrators to access customer information including encrypted password and credit card details. At that time, Valve was not aware if the intruders actually accessed this information or discovered the encryption method, but warned users to be alert for fraudulent activity."

Now, I've seen posts and reports about individuals being hacked in SL, but never a SYSTEM WIDE problem.  That to me is a very good reason not to involve a third party provider of services with access to SL's data base and system, and therefore my personal information.

One advantage Steam has for me personally is the ability to use country-specific ( non-US ) payment options. I was rather surprised I can purchase directly with them with my normal bank-account ( something still only possible today in SL via exchange providers who charge commissions ).

Steam might have had more serious breaches than SL / LL purely because of being considered more lucrative to hackers. It remains to be seen if LL would actually communicate fairly if such breaches occur.

Perhaps both Steam and LL could advantage from shared expertise about such things as security breaches, left aside if we as residents have a need for a(nother) third party provider for the Second Life Viewer.

My point remains : I was kinda startled to see Patterns appear earlier on Steam than the Second Life Viewer. I didn't follow Pattern' development, but thought the availiability of the SL Viewer by Steam was announced quite a while ago.

Seems like a severe priority change and shift of already limited resources afaik. Patterns appears first choice to LL.

Development days ( called Genesis ) for Patterns are over, me thinks. The announcement on Steam is a product release.

It's out there now officially and has an official trailer (on Steam). Perhaps it's not quite finished yet, but it's being sold and is no longer under 'heavy' development.

Even has a price on it .. about 10 USD ( EUR 7,99 ) .

TDD123 wrote:

Development days ( called Genesis ) for Patterns are over, me thinks. The announcement on Steam is a product release.

It's out there now officially and has an official trailer (on Steam). Perhaps it's not quite finished yet, but it's being sold and is no longer under 'heavy' development.

Even has a price on it .. about 10 USD ( EUR 7,99 ) .

You didn't see the page, then. It is clearly labeled on Steam as an "early access game" in giant lettering, and the description begins with "Patterns is still in development and we are actively providing updates in order to flesh out this early experience", going on to still identify this as the "Genesis" version. The $10 price is still the same "Genesis" rate, it will be $20 on real release.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4026 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.