This is just a fun question, what are some of the oldest Last names you have seen in S/L.

Cyd Blackheart

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2012 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I believe that the old names, when they were first, last names .. were availabe for a period of time and then retired. I have seen some avatars with the last name of DeCuir and some with Mertel that I think were about 6 years old (avatar age). Just wondering if anyone remembers or even has a last name that is older still?

Haha .. I have seen that person Imnogoing Sideways!:matte-motes-big-grin-evil:

How very fun and interesting this is to read, I read all of your posts and there is some great history and I can tell by some of your answers a little bit of a trip down memory lane. I read your link Rolig .. that was very informative thank you. Thanks for the fun times.:heart:

21 answers to this question

I can add mine to the list: 'Congrejo' is also from 2007  when i made this second toon : )

Had one from before ("Reitveld" was her last name 7.5 years ago =)) but deleted it because the account was heavily bugged. Too bad, now i would love to still have her, just for the sake of having such an old toon available.

Other names of that time:

Dagostino
Aeon
Mitra
Lagerlof
Richez
Binder
Tal
Ingrassia
Uriza
Forcella
Botha
Exodus
Bailey
Blanko
Back
Avro
Muni
Taka
Burns (also pre 2007)
Dana
Korobase
Hutchinson
Bracken
Lax
Zinner
McMillan
Mensing
Koenig
Mizin
Bates
Raymanker
Mathy
Laasonen
Yohogania
Mendes
Ling
Rieko
Ruban
and yepp Sideways of course
And no doubt: Imnotgoing Sideways makes me chuckle too ; )

i guess i could add a longer list when flicking through the older buddies in my friends-list. But guess this will do it for now.

• Like 1

We Loons are an old family.  Well, early 2007 anyway.  There aren't many of us left.

If you want to see who the oldest non-Linden avatars are, take a look here >>> http://obijan.com/slstats/report_av.php?reportnum=70 .  I remember meeting someone in the Sunshine family many years ago, but have never bumped into any of the people on this list of the 50 oldest.

• Like 1

There were surnames that were names of famous actors:

Laughton

Colman

used in early 2006

There is someone with surname of Kuhr dating to July 2005 still active in SL.

Linden and Sunshine of course from the very beginning, and also there is a Gullwing that I know of from 2004

I recognise a couple of the names on that list as being alts of Linden ex-employees. They still log in occasionally. I don't know if its against the ToS to say that, but I'm not naming names so I guess its ok. (One did announce her alt name at her leaving party when she left, so its not a secret anyway.)

FIRST NAME TWISTS

On an interesting note - I'm the ONLY KarenMichelle [ as a 1st name ] in all of SL. The name is/was disallowed shortly after I requested it. The reasons are unknown. I also use it as a Display Name but wisely no one else has as this point in time.

I learned it was no longer allowed when trying to create a KarenMichelle [partner last name] back when my partner at the time's last name was still allowing avatar additions.

Nor have I been able to create a KarenMichelle Resident account. Apparently someone did so ages ago and abandoned it without using it.

@Karen -- Well, if you want to go down that road, I am the only Rolig in Second Life too, unless you count my alt, Rolig Resident. When LL created these silly accounts with Resident last names, I zipped in on the first day and grabbed mine for my alt so that I would still be the only Rolig.  Since then, two other accounts have been created with Rolig as part of a longer name, but they don't count as the real thing.  Besides, it looks like neither of them is active now. 

Paperdoll runs back to early 2006 but my first account was Prudhomme which runs back to late 2005 (that account has been abandoned long ago since I can't, for the life of me, remember the password and, evidently, I missed typed someone in my security question because that didn't work when I did the "forgot password" thing a few years ago (oh well).  I know several Sieferts who were around about the same as Prudhomme but I never met anyone with that sir name.  I did meet one Paperdoll one time as some club (probably when I doing my dancing) and it was a guy avatar but that's the only time I remember.  One of the strangest names for me was Paperclip.  I took notice of that name since it was so close to mine and I actually met a bunch of Paperclips (I believe it came out after my sir name was retired but pretty close to the same time).  My best friend in SL has the name Goff and I know she joined a few days before me. 

The oldest name that I know of who is still active is SuezanneC Baskerville.  I know she is from the 2003 era (which make her one of the first settlers).  She posts occasionally here in the forums but back in 2006 she was very active in the forums and what a delight most of her posts were.  Pretty smart lady.  :)

My last name dates to 2006 and was only available for a few days.  Only 174 people chose it, most of who are no longer in SL  There are 17 avatars with that last name still around, including myself.  It used to be that an account was canceled if you didn't log in for a certain period of time, so that is how the number dwindled to 17.  That is no longer true,  so I have no idea how many of the 17 are active still.  One day I might IM them all just for fun to see.

From 2002 to the end of  2006 there were only a total of 360 last names in SL, which were retired when a certain amount of people chose them,  I've read various numbers, which vary, but they all agree that it was less than 200. The very early names from 2002 and 2003 seem to be retired even faster with some last names only used once or twice.   Some last names no one chose apparently and they were retired due to lack of popularity. This gives you an idea of how small the population was prior to 2007.

By 2007 all but 10 of those original names were retired, probably the last 10 introduced.  In 2007, when SL's population started to explode due to more publicity and LL promotion there were 327 new ones introduced,  and they were not retired so fast.  As a result thousands could have chosen any particular name.

I have read that there are a total of 10,889 last names, including Resident.  Interestingly there was a time you could buy a custom last name but it was expensive, if I recall it cost $1,000US and you had to pay a yearly fee to keep it.  So mostly corporations were the ones that had custom last names.  Even so, the rate of new last names introduced must have skyrocketed after 2007.

Well, I joined in November 2006 and there are 33 people left in SL with my last name Bergbahn. Only one is on my friends list whom I just happened to meet somewhere. I have no idea how many are still active.

My g/f's last name Wishbringer is rarer with 17 left in SL (again, no idea how many are still active) and it dates to November/December 2004. She was also a tester during SL Beta in 2002 but she's never mentioned her name then so I'm not sure what if any Beta names were used. I must ask her. Beta accounts were not allowed carry forward to SL when it opened to the public and she didn't rejoin until 2004.

I just did an in-world search for Imgoing Sideways........yep, there is one. However the avatar is a male avatar and Imnotgoing is female. But we all know how accurate that is. :)

I don't know if Imgoing and Imnotgoing are the same but I did see a few post from both back in the old forums and I thought they were one in the same at that time.......still do, sort of. :) Both have the same sense of humor (but that was years ago when I last saw anything from Imgoing ) which also led me to my conclusion.

hehe I see. yeah was almost about to check after you said it - just out of curiosity - but then i got sidetracked by my own stuff again =)

If Imnotgoing wasn't online in a longer time might still have been an ALT. And yes, we don't wonna fall into that male/female trap anymore, don't we? I guess everyone being as long as us on the web learned that lesson 'long' ago lol ; ) So who knows.. i'd say the suspicion still remains valid xD

All the Names are Legacy Names  ....(Non Resident)
suthen.fride
Extractor Tank
pain.kegel
sufferingfrom.lockjaw
Thong Delight
Shaver Beardmore
Purdey Melody
Vanity Fair
Miraculous Wonder 
Lazy Spectre
finding.nirvana
Enigma Turner
Soilent Greene
Trimda Hedges
Slurry Snoodle
Pullmy Watanabe
Take Jigsaw
 Injured Slacker
 Holy Highwater 
tri.destiny
Random Mode
Random Melodie
strong.raremaster
roachclip.doobie
celebrity.replacement
Gentle Tornado
 Softly  Unplugged
wisold.sage
danga.ling
Vannilla Latte
untolerable.bohemian
Automatic Quandry
unique.spot
Miso Soup steaming.soup
limp.biscuit
relaid.delaid
case.wrangler
Sell Placebo
Wynter tiger 
Flaminghot Nightfire
Axxle Gears
CowBoy Memo
bacteria.fullstop
Steady Rockin
laborious.aftermath
janeluvsmore.darkfold
SongBird Lyric
shameless.shark
pi.numbers
chinadoll Soup
erratic (erratic.rain)
Erectous Mayo
work.monday
immy.coeyman
crap.mariner
skiing.powder
sausage (sausage.calamity)
Soy Source (soy.source)
Dreadful Deed (dreadful.deed)
Precious Mirror (precious.mirror)
Ginger Lorakeet (ginger.lorakeet)
SprayOn Coleslaw (sprayon.coleslaw) 
νίσℓεηt мαştυгвαtσг (violent.afterthought)
Open Nitely
Ibrew Meads
Crystalyn Clarity
accountant.adzebills
Wyzard Merlin
Onion Khaos
sqroatal.payne
Tellurion Starship
Pleasure Tremor
Crusher Gearbox
Kitten Furse 
SHARPAZA Dagger
ruf Surface
Detect Surface
Sky Acer
Hammer (hammer.brokken)
atomic.vendetta
Tizz (ohwhata.tizzy)
Tack Paulse
Saleen Lane
Oil Spot
SeeJaneLookForDick Lane
Foul Deed
InaBoxOf Cardboard
towards.farshore
Coke Supply
Lusciouspink Faulds
blacksky.tomorrow
Escape Tomorrow
Zesty Swashbuckler
monkey.martian
unique.frakture
Frigga Inventor 
Random Person
corroded Battery
Virtual Khaos 
Getup Sittingbull
OpenMy Trenchcoat 
Rollabigfat Doobie
Whyte Spot
 Ballzy Carver
candycane.amulet
(sick.nirvana)
 (girlie.lane)
skats.tophat
Truly Ordinary
 labore.paine
dodo.rage
scarlette.crystal
Farfrom Obscure
dusty.wasp
wowman.quicksand
Reckless Frenzy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2012 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.