No imagination neccessary....

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4046 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yes ... can you feel the pain ? Awful, innit ?  ... :robotindifferent:

Hence the return of one them still sounds to me like Lurch calling : "You rang ?"

Did you ring ? .. Please tell me you didn't ... :robotmad:

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Suspiria Finucane wrote:

Your fallacious assumptions are based solely on conjectural malice. Your most unidiomatic conclusion about promoting a friend is grasping for straws at best.

I posted a reply to you thinking civility was the prevalent doctrine, it won’t happen again.

Please leave the fifty cent words to people who know what they mean and can use them correctly. Thank you.

it seems it is more than 5% covered, althought it may look too much exposed to certain cultures. Linden Lab is offering its product to a global audience, it must be more careful about what image it wants to give, for some potential users it may reinforce the myth that Second Life is mainly about sex, since many percieve the lack of enough covering as sexually attractive. Linden Lab should be more prudent with its technique to appeal to a multicultural audience.

Candor Philipp wrote:

t
he best option is to be between the extremes of what your target audience consider acceptable
, and to try to preserve what is more important to them.

What?  This is not communist Russia!  The "best" opinions are founded in reasoning and logic.  I don't write opinion(s) to placate readers with flowery words so as to not offend misplaced sensibilities or to not cause emotional instability.  I don't write opinions to win friends or win a popularity contest either.

Going forward, whenever I read *your* opinion I will know that you didn't mean what you wrote--you just want to look good to the rest of us or the one.  This is perhaps the worst statement that could have been written on an open and public forum.  

PS The OP didn't offer an opinion.  The opening post asked a direct and specific question. 

PudgyPaddy wrote:

Candor Philipp wrote:

t
he best option is to be between the extremes of what your target audience consider acceptable
, and to try to preserve what is more important to them.

What?  This is not communist Russia!  The "best" opinions are founded in reasoning and logic.  I don't write opinion(s) to placate readers with flowery words so as to not offend misplaced sensibilities or to not cause emotional instability.  I don't write opinions to win friends or win a popularity contest either.

Going forward, whenever I read *your* opinion I will know that you didn't mean what you wrote--you just want to look good to the rest of us or the one.  This is perhaps the worst statement that could have been written on an open and public forum.  

PS The OP didn't offer an opinion.  The opening post asked a direct and specific question.  

As Canoro was discussing a "target audience" it's pretty clear to me he was not talking about opinions. He was talking about sales. Sellers do indeed placate buyers with stories that are likely to induce them to purchase their goods and/or services. There is a term for this sort of placation, it's called "marketing".

Going forward, whenever I read your opinion, shall I make greater allowance for the possibility that you didn't understand the subject and that you just want to look good to "the one"?

you probably are not getting paid for your opinions, so you dont care much about how many people accept it, Linden Lab is trying to be attractive to as much potential users as possible, so it must adapt to what the majority might consider acceptable. as Madelaine said, i was talking about business marketing strategy rather than personal opinions.

i answered the OP question, and i also added my opinion about a company marketing strategy.

If someone, somehow, found that picture not acceptable (i.e. morally objectionable)... do you really think that person is LLs target audience?

Sex is, whether you like it or not, a big part of SL. It's not what brought me to SL and I find the whole pixel sex thing rather comical, but the Lindens were previously quite open about sex being a big part of it (I don't know where they stand now...).

That outfit is pretty tame by Western (and SL) standards. Do you think it would be better for LL to pull a bait-and-switch?

the person that find the picture objectionable due to cultural values, may also be wanted as a potential customer, Linden Lab is probably trying to have as much users as possible with the hopes that they will bring more income, so Linden Lab must be trying to see everyone as a target audience.

you are right, Linden Lab has been very relaxed about the morality of their users, they probably have about the same point of view currently, they evade getting involved with what their users do, they get involved only when its neccesary, like griefing.

bait-and-switch seems to be very used in marketing and many people dont seem to care, when i was a kid i played videogames, the cover of the games had graphics very different of how they actually looked like in the game, and i dont really minded, i knew the enhanced graphics was for presentation purposes, i accepted that the graphics were not as good as the cover of the package. i remember a video of Second Life where a woman changed outfits like magic, not going to her inventory, everything happened in a second, Linden Lab has done that, is very common in marketing, and to a reasonable level, acceptable.

Perrie Juran wrote:

The ads (pictures) can be targetted/customised based on the location of the user.

At the Vatican they'd probably see pictures with little boys in them.

:matte-motes-agape:

I got an ad for fruit and nuts delivered to my door, maybe they think I am a little fruity or nutty ?! :matte-motes-wink-tongue:

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

So this is what the old "lively' forum was like?

Not really. Comparing now to then would be similar to comparing yoga to Ultimate Fighting. :matte-motes-agape: It was "lively" to say the least. It had really good times though. I am happy to have been a small part of it.

The forum in its current form is exactly what LL wanted. Long gone are most people who had very intelligent discussions about interesting topics. There are are some left of course and I’m sure there are new ones I haven’t had the pleasure of meeting.

I doubt new people will ever see the forum return to what it was before. After all, now the forum has rank. What more could anyone want.

Griffin Ceawlin wrote:

Suspiria Finucane wrote:

Your fallacious assumptions are based solely on conjectural malice. Your most unidiomatic conclusion about promoting a friend is grasping for straws at best.

I posted a reply to you thinking civility was the prevalent doctrine, it won’t happen again.

Please leave the fifty cent words to people who know what they mean and can use them correctly. Thank you.

Simply superlative isn't it.

The day an accredited English professor shows up here to indicate any improprieties, I may consider a revision.

I'm not interested in any "help" you have to offer thank you very much.

Canoro Philipp wrote:

it seems it is more than 5% covered, althought it may look too much exposed to certain cultures. Linden Lab is offering its product to a global audience, it must be more careful about what image it wants to give, for some potential users it may reinforce the myth that Second Life is mainly about sex, since many percieve the lack of enough covering as sexually attractive. Linden Lab should be more prudent with its technique to appeal to a multicultural audience.

Cultural cognizance :matte-motes-smitten:  Excellent!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4046 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.