Scheduled Inventory Server Maintenance at Main Server Restart Time?

Ayesha Askham

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4055 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ayesha Askham wrote:

LL

Is this:

1) Wise?

2) Actually going to run concurrent with Main Server Restarts?

I just looked and there are no times posted for Main Server Upgrades.

As far as I recall there are no scheduled times now for simple restarts if there is no new code being released.

[updated] Scheduled Inventory Database Maintenance

[updated 9:45am PDT, 18 March 2013] Today’s inventory server maintenance has been rescheduled for tomorrow, Tuesday, March 19, 2013 from 5am PST to 7am PST.  During this time, some residents will be logged off and will be temporarily unable to log in for a brief period. This maintenance may disrupt transactions and logins. Please check back here for updates.

eta the notice

Now that still suggests two parts of Linden Lab working on the SL servers at the same time, from 5 until 7 am PST.

Sorry, but in my book that is just plain stupid.

Perrie

This will be a new Server version, it is not a "simple Restart".  Unless of course the restarts are being re-arranged and they just haven't bothered to communicate it. :matte-motes-sour:

Second Life Server (main channel)

The main channel is the maint-server project that was previously on Magnum.  This project fixes some bugs.

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Server/13#13.03.08.271457

Scheduled Tuesday 2013-03-19 05:00-12:00 PDT

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Second-Life-Server/Deploys-for-the-week-of-2013-03-18/m-p/1936689

Ayesha Askham wrote:

Now that still suggests two parts of Linden Lab working on the SL servers at the same time, from 5 until 7 am PST.

Sorry, but in my book that is just plain stupid.

The inventory servers are separate hardware running separate programs from the simulator servers. It would be the equivalent of one mechanic working on your car's brakes while another works on the engine at the same time. Saves you from having to take the car in twice.

Theresa

I know you know a good deal more about the workings of systems such as Second Life than I, but I don't think that analogy holds.

If an account's inventory is unavailable when it's home sim-server is restarted, then that, to me, is like a mechanic bleeding a car's brakes while another mechanic has the front hubs off the car to work on the discs.

You may well be right and I am worrying unnecessarily, but it just looks like sloppy coordination to me.

Griffin

I don't see that when I click on more details...odd.  I get what I posted.

Alexi

Unfortunately all that has occurred is that LL did some editing of the entry. Last news was that the maintenance was being "extended".  A lot of folk cannot log in and are getting "Inventory System Unavailable" errors as a result. :smileysad:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4055 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.