How to turn off the annoying BUMP sound

VerybadBob

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4026 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I don't think I'm the only one annoyed by the ' bump ' sound whenever I walk up or down stairs in Second Life.

Is there a way to shut off the bump/collision sound?

I've looked on the web for an answer to this, and others have posed this question, but I couldn't find any real answers to this problem.

And if there isn't a bump solution, I'd like to suggest to Second Life that an option to turn off this unrealistic and annoying sound is added to the program.

Thank you

5 answers to this question

As far as I know, there is no way to turn the "bump" off, unless you set ambiant sounds to "true" in the debug settings, but all sounds will be muted. 

Have a look at this blog however:

http://cheyennepal.blogspot.fr/2011/02/that-stumping-sound.html

MuteAmbient Ambient sound effects, such as wind noise, play at 0 volume Boolean False

MuteSounds Sound effects play at 0 volume Boolean False
MuteUI UI sound effects play at 0 volume Boolean False

It is sort of annoying but it's also realistic.  Try tiptoeing around your house in the middle of the night to see if you can walk easily without making little audible footsteps.  I think the big difference is that those sounds are so familiar in RL that we learn to ignore them. The balance between them and everything else we hear is different too.  In any case, there's not much we can do about the sounds in either SL or RL, and there certainly isn't anything that any of us here can do.  We're all SL residents just like you.  Lindens never come here.

One way to avoid the bump sound is for builders to make steps that aren't so high that you bark your shins on them!  You can successfully walk up steps that are 0.5m high, but it's painful.  Steps that are about 0.3m high don't injure a normal human size avatar.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4026 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.