You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2856 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi :)

I'm looking for a new female shape and was just looking for some help as to the good stores etc.

I like similar shapes to r.icielli shapes but it's annoying how they don't have demos, it's more about the face, strong bone structure but young ish looking that go well with glam affair skins. So basically shapes with pretty faces haha.

Emma, do it yourself. It's the most fun, keeps you busy for an hour or two and gives you that enormously warm feeling of accomplishment. And in the end you can be sure that your avie is truly unique, like one in a million not like one of thousand identical twins.

Emma, if you don't have the skills to make one of your own, do a search but remember to NEVER buy a shape whish doesnt has a demo, plus, make sure the she shape is modifyable. Otherwise in the future, if you wish to make adjustments when getting a new skin or wearing mesh, you will be stuck. I get my shapes from Unique Megastore, which are modify, but I buy skins from other shops sometimes. :smileyhappy:

I personally prefer to start with a base shape I like, then modify it to suit my tastes. I admire those who can start from scratch and end up with something grogeous, but I'm afraid I just don't have the patience, most of the time. Instead, I tweak mine fairly constantly. (At least, up until recently; I'm fairly satisfied at the moment, but that might change!) It's often easiest to find a FACE you like; the body is much easier to modify than the face.

I got my shape from Damage. They carry a lot of different things, but they have (or had) a shape line called Damage Perfect Shapes. I love, love, love my shape, and while I have tweaked it pretty constantly, I certainly give them the credit for creating such a great shape (in my opinion) in the first place!

Make sure any shape you buy is modifiable. Some places charge more for mod shapes (Damage does). Some don't. Some places don't sell modifiable shapes at all, which means I, personally, won't buy from them.

Some notes on proportion:

You don't HAVE to have a (humanly) proportional avatar. Nothing says it's required. However, there are a couple things that can add realism to even a fantasy humanoid avatar.

1) Arm length. Human arms usually fall so that the tip of the middle finger hits roughly mid-thigh. This avoids the "T-Rex" arm look. Another way to measure is that your arms from fingertip to fingertip, including the span of your shoulders in between, should be equal to your height.

2) Hand size. On a human femals of approximately average size, hand size looks best between 15 and 20 on the slider. Mine are at 20, but 15 would probably work just as well. For smaller avatars, 10 works, but 0 is almost always too small.

3) Head size. Your head should look proportionally sized to your body. I eyeball it, but there are proportion guides to help you. You could probably google how big a human head should be in proportion to the body and get a pretty good idea.

4) Foot size. This is the one I mostly ignore, to be honest. Almost all women's shoes in SL are made for size 0 feet, so I keep mine at 0. This does, however, kind of make the default avatar feet look like you've been through Chinese foot binding. (Since I never show my default feet anymore, I don't care.)

5) Torso-Leg ratio. The distance from the top of your head to your pelvis and from your pelvis to the soles of your feet should be approximately equal.

These are all SUGGESTIONS. You have every right to look the way you want to look, so if you want your arms to end at your hips, feel free. It's entirely up to you. These are just things I find helpful. There are many more, but I find these to be the most important, personally. There is also a free proportion guide (in fact, probably several) available on the marketplace. If you find a shape you like, you can modify it to fit these parameters, or not, as you choose. I find many shapes in SL ignore arm length and hand size, in particular, but both of those are very easy to fix if you want to fix them.

I provide a set of full perm shapes covering a growing variety of body types, to make it easier for anyone to make their ideal custom shape.

Due to the way the appearance editor works, it is very difficult to edit the default shape. If you want to change only your height you need to change everything. Simply moving the height slider throws the default shape's already poor proportions further out of wack and many sliders affect each other in ways people never realize (fore example, adjusting the torso length slider actually changes your leg length).

I recommend picking a shape close to the body type you're aiming for then customizing it from there. It makes everything else much easier.

You can get my shapes pack for free on the Marketplace. I'm up to about 6 male and 6 female shapes so far, but I add more whenever I can find the time.

These shapes do tend to be smaller than average, since the average SL avatar is about 7' tall and these are made to more realistic human sizes. There are several reasons for this, but one of the biggest benefits comes from the fact that the SL appearance editor simply cannot make arms long enough for female shapes much taller than 6', which contributes to the "T-Rex arm syndrome" found throughout SL.

I also have a tutorial on the appearance edtitor, which also gives tips on checking avatar proportions as you edit your custom shape, and a longer version which includes information on human proportions.

• 2 weeks later...

It will take practice but you can learn how to get better at shape making with time. I do believe it also is a talent and not only about vertical proportions.

If you can draw well you can probably make a good shape. Of course taste varies and what's good to one isn't good to others. 

On general topic: I have no problem at all with people learning skills or making their own shapes. It's only when someone claims there is no skill or talent to be found in shape making, or they go one step beyond that to claim they can take other people's work and put their name on it for that reason - then I have a real problem with those things.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2856 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.