Why does SL insist on charging to save a snapshot I took in SL to my inventory?

HeavyT

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4056 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Why is there a charge to save a SL generated snapshot to my inventory?  Its super annoying to me who is pinching my sl L$ to lose money on this when Im merely using one of the games functions.  you dont charge me to save my own builds in my inventory so why do I have to pay for a sl snapshot? 

As far as the texture answer below goes, I can understand that IF I was uploading it from my pc but this is an SL generated texture.  And you are correct, the 10$L is a small fee however spread that out over the course of your avi life and its a significant chunk of change.  Im well aware of the ability to save your pics to your hard drive, this avi is an alt, Ive been on sl since 2005.  I build, sell poses and take "semi decent" pics ;)..  And im sorry but I disagree with you regarding the use of SL Viewer features, it should be free.  Im not saying that there shouldnt be a charge for pics(textures) you UPLOAD but not for sl snapshots.  

___________________________________________ Edited______________________

Thanks Rolig, that makes sense - that it actually IS uploaded from my lame pc lol - thats why im not in IT I guess.. just was a bone of contention.  While I dont make a habit of using that feature much anymore since I prefer to edit my pics it was just kinda annoying seeing as you dont have to do that for your own builds which I would think take up way more room on the LL servers than a texture pic.  Thanks again

Thanks for your replies. 

• Like 1

5 answers to this question

Because every screenshot is a texture and there is an upload fee for textures. Thats why you have to pay a small amount of money each time you want to have it in your inventory.

Sure its one of the viewer features...but who said every feature in a software is supposed to be free? The money is charged by LindenLab and only they know why they decided to take an upload fee for all kinds of textures.

You are still able to take snapshots without paying anything. Just select that you want the picture to be saved on your computer and not in Second Life.

• Like 4

Because when you take a snapshot, the work is done by your own graphics card and is saved on your hard drive. It's not in your inventory.  If you want to be the only person who sees it, keep it there.  If you want to share it, you can upload it to your profile at my.secondlife.com/HeavyT or put it on your Flickr or Photobucket site, or send it as an e-mail attachment to your friends  Or you can decide to pay Linden Lab L$10 (4 cents) to upload it to their servers.  For the price of a Big Mac (average $4.20 in the U.S. in January), you can upload 105 snapshots to SL.

EDIT:  Hehe.. I can't divide this morning. :smileyembarrassed:  Fixed my math above.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4056 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.