What am I not seeing?

Qwalyphi Korpov

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4022 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Okays – I have a question and you fashion experts probably know better than anyone.

I keep seeing Avs that either don't have clothing where you usually would see some or chunks of the AV are totally see through as in transparent. Is this the mesh I keep hearing about? I mean – is it mesh that I'm not seeing?

I can't supply any names or photos cuz that might embarrass peoples.

Also – I am too shy to ask someone why her lady parts are on display so that makes it harder to figure all this out.

Oh – I can rez a mesh object and see that. So there's another clue maybe.

It's people wearing mesh but either not wearing the alpha clothing layer that comes with it (if you see body bits poking through) or wearing the alpha, which makes body parts disappear, inefficiently. It's hard to design clothing that avoids both problems well, and at least as hard for customers to wear them.  IMO, you'll see a lot of both cases until LL finally figures out how to release the long-awaited deformer project.  Rigged mesh clothing holds great promise, but as it works today, it is awkward and unsatisfying.

Rolig Loon wrote:

It's people wearing mesh but either not wearing the alpha clothing layer that comes with it (if you see body bits poking through) or wearing the alpha, which makes body parts disappear, inefficiently. It's hard to design clothing that avoids both problems well, and at least as hard for customers to wear them.  IMO, you'll see a lot of both cases until LL finally figures out how to release the long-awaited deformer project.  Rigged mesh clothing holds great promise, but as it works today, it is awkward and unsatisfying.

While this is all true Rolig, I wonder if Qwalyphi is seeing the sort of mesh glitches that sometimes plague many of us. The feeds are filled with people posting pictures of themselves partially transparent. In these cases, it seems as though the alpha layer is erasing those bits of avatar it should, but the mesh clothing object hasn't rendered. I don't have any mesh clothing, so never see this on myself.

Could it be that people are bumping off their mesh clothing pieces by "wear"ing additional things that attach to the same point rather than "add"ing? I've read that many mesh pieces attach to the same point on the avatar. If one created an outfit from such pieces, would it have to be added rather than worn? I don't recall if I have any outfits in which I've got more than one attachment on the same spot.

Could be, Maddy. That adds another element to the confusion. So far, I only own three pieces of mesh clothing and have been disappointed in all of them. I've always fretted over how hard it is to find RL clothing that fits well.  I don't care to waste my time doing it in SL too.

is pretty much defo lag

mesh + textures combined are quite a lot of data to receive. can take ages to get it all downloaded sometimes

+

I got quite a lot of mesh clothes. wear all the time. quite often when I cross into next sim then it takes them off and only a head and hands (: then anything from 0 sec to 2 minutes to rez on again

dunno why exactly it do that. something to do with the sim changeover most probably. like for a few seconds it don't yet know I got clothes on and it tells the viewer and the viewer goes ok and takes them off me. which is pretty dumb bc the viewer knows I got clothes on. or should know 

+

on busy sim where is lots of people wearing mesh like 30 or 40 people then can take up to half an hour sometimes for everyone to get their clothes on my screen. I just be polite and not say anything to them (:

+

linden doing all the Project Shining stuff at the moment. interest list, SSB, faster textures and asset download. all kinds. hopefully will be all ok when they finish

Rolig Loon wrote:

Thanks Rolig.  I remember the deformer project.  Actually I'd been assuming it had died - another victim of the 'if we can't make everyone happy we won't do anything' policy.

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Rolig Loon wrote:

While this is all true Rolig, I wonder if Qwalyphi is seeing the sort of mesh glitches that sometimes plague many of us. The feeds are filled with people posting pictures of themselves partially transparent. In these cases, it seems as though the alpha layer is erasing those bits of avatar it should, but the mesh clothing object hasn't rendered. I don't have any mesh clothing, so never see this on myself.

Could it be that people are bumping off their mesh clothing pieces by "wear"ing additional things that attach to the same point rather than "add"ing? I've read that many mesh pieces attach to the same point on the avatar. If one created an outfit from such pieces, would it have to be added rather than worn? I don't recall if I have any outfits in which I've got more than one attachment on the same spot.

All thes possibilities got me so excited I bought a mesh hat for L$0 off the market place.  I'm not sure it's really mesh - although it appears to have a gazzilion triangles when edit it.  Now I have to wear it an get a bunch of alts on to see if they see it or not.   Or - maybe a big lunch and a long nap is a better idea.  

Maybe just a nap... it's not really spring......   zzzzzzz...

16 wrote:

is pretty much defo lag

mesh + textures combined are quite a lot of data to receive. can take ages to get it all downloaded sometimes

+

I got quite a lot of mesh clothes. wear all the time. quite often when I cross into next sim then it takes them off and only a head and hands (: then anything from 0 sec to 2 minutes to rez on again

dunno why exactly it do that. something to do with the sim changeover most probably. like for a few seconds it don't yet know I got clothes on and it tells the viewer and the viewer goes ok and takes them off me. which is pretty dumb bc the viewer knows I got clothes on. or should know 

+

on busy sim where is lots of people wearing mesh like 30 or 40 people then can take up to half an hour sometimes for everyone to get their clothes on my screen. I just be polite and not say anything to them (:

+

linden doing all the Project Shining stuff at the moment. interest list, SSB, faster textures and asset download. all kinds. hopefully will be all ok when they finish

Interesting... I think there were maybe 10 AV in the sim last time I noticed sumptin'.   I'll pay more attention next time.

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

Raven1 Short wrote:

It must be Spring!

I wish I knew.... google calendar lists the start of daylight saving time but not the first day of spring.  I need to do some sextant work at sunrise or sumptin... it's close anyways if it's not here.

You've shown up again so it must be spring.

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

I have had to turn up my MeshMaxConcurrentRequest in the debug menu. The default is 32. Also, right clicking where there should be something usually makes it render for me.

Thanks for that reminder.  There was a thread about that last year but I'd forgotten.  

RobertThorp wrote:

I wish the women who are around me in RL would wear RL mesh so their boobs would stick out.:matte-motes-oh-rly:

coming to a store near you !!!

google glass + nekky augment app

augment a nekky body onto any stranger you see in the streets. upload to: iwannagigglesomedat . com

only 50c for the first 10000000000000 downloaders

upload and stream your fake nekkys nooow !!! 

and get a awesome fake nekky body for your ugly self for free !!!!

buy as many nekkys augments as you want !!! 50c more each !!!

nekky augment weenis extra and sold by the centimeter !!! dl now !!!!!!

upgrade to a wiggly one. just double the price for the centimetres and dl now !!!

first 100000000 ugly fake dudes nekky bumping a lady on a crowded bus who upload stream win a t-shirt. 2 t-shirts even if make her fake nekky as well !!! gold rim prize for glasses if you stand so it looks like you got it in !!!!!

is awesome !!! u be awesome !!! we be awesome !!!!

download naooowww !!!!

serious tho. we need be really careful what we wish for

this is coming. and if we are not careful about it then when this kinda stuff starts to happen then rl legislators are going to get so deeply involved in legislating the interwebz that what they have done up until now is going to seem like kindergarten stuff

See what's happened here?   I made a post about what I'm not seeing and other people start making it about seeing stuff.  Plze.... this is about what I'm not seeing, not about what you all want to see or not see.   Well, if it's what you want to not see that's okay...  idk.   The point is you're talking about seeing stuffs.

Anyways... I'm certain now that it's mesh that I'm not seeing.  As people have pointed out it's still hard to determine if that due to alpha layers outside the mesh or the failure of the mesh to rezz.   I changed that max mesh debug setting and nothing changed.  Maybe I need to do more than double it.

I keep mine at 1000. I also about a year ago, maybe less, had to use the Google DNS when I was having problems seeing mesh. I think about the only times I don't see mesh now is sometimes on myself after a teleport. That's when I right click on the missing items and they reappear.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4022 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.