Sign in to follow this  
Butterpecanxx

model

Hope you are not asking because of money, because almost everything associated with modeling in SL will bring you nothing or, even worse, cost you something.

In fact models are not really needed, meaning the market is full with people who look pretty and want to stand around wearing fashion. But on the other side is nobody who needs that many people.

I know a lot of people who have gotten jobs as dancers, but I've never known anyone who was paid to model. I tend to agree with Syo's comment: seems to me most of the modelling schools and opportunities I've seen result in the model paying someone else, rather than the other way around.

Hah! Dillon, back in 07 you could actually make some money as a model. Not much but some, here and there. It was never a real job with a steady income but nice to get some Lindies just for looking cute.

But those times are over I guess.

I tried sl modeling many moons ago. You are right that you spend more than you get paid but that is part of the investment period. You'll need to have a good amount of quality walking, turning, standing animation that is appropriate or will fit the specific style of clothes you are wearing (they dont want to see your hands and arm poking thru the skirt or any part of the dress you are modeling).

SL modeling is more likey a RP than a paying job imo. There are groups of people in sl who loves designing couture clothings and since couture is not as popular as "casual and sexy wear" in the market they (designers ) need to have marketing strategy and there are the fashion shows and fashion weeks comes in and yes they need and hire models.

Most of the time you have to attend the model casting and do the catwalk (it is like america's  next top model audition lol) they'll judge your body shape and face, animation, and how you dress properly (this is not just about your taste in fashion but how you work on the prims/sculpts/mesh) you need to know the basic buiding for you to edit all your attachments and editing jewelry or any micro prims is kinda tricky.  Actually the day before the proper fashion show there is an "outfit checking" 

They also consider your hardware and internet connection capability cos they dont want their model to suddenly disappear in the middle of the fashion show. Its gonna be a big problem to them.

All in all sl fashion modeling is fun especially if you are doing it cos you love it plus the most fun part is the free outfits , skin etc. (you'll get to take home everything you wear in the show doh lol ;) ) . Downside is it's really time consuming a bit stressful and a bit costly especially if you are in the investing period. oh and plus sometimes you need to wear different shape and skin so dont be too much attach to your precious "you"(your own shape and skin) ;)

I did sl modeling cos that time i was so into photography and i thought joining that kind of group will give me more connections and clients for my defunct Photo Studio ;)

Btw, i never entered or enrolled in any sl modeing school. Just try attending fashion shows , meet people , get friends with the models and ask for some tips on how to start your career ;)

I break even most times other times I profit and some times not so much. However I went into it knowing I wouldn't make any money and that I might lose money. I still do it because its fun to me. Even if I don't make a dime. I've made quite a bit of linden but yes its very scarce. Don't look into it if you want money and you will be happy. 

Orca Flotta wrote:

Hah! Dillon, back in 07 you could actually make some money as a model. Not much but some, here and there. It was never a real job with a steady income but nice to get some Lindies just for looking cute.

But those times are over I guess.

I arrived in the latter part of '08, which might explain why I've never met anyone who actually got paid to model. But you could still get paid for looking cute, even then. They called it 'Camping'.:smileywink:

Like said before me thats only half true. You need to invest to buy nice clothes and a nice skin,hair,ao,breast etc.. But once you get out there and get hired you can get any where from 2000L per hour to almost 100000L per hour or week. I've seen it happen. It takes alot of time, possibly money and patience which is all the things i don't have right now.

I modeling with one of my old avis.  You spend quite a bit getting started to ensure you have the proper poses, walks, etc.  I was paid for my modeling at fashion shows and print work.  Don't become a model thinking you are going to get paid a lot of $L, it took time to build up to the point that I was making decent money.  Even after I was being paid for my work, I was still spending a lot to stay on top of new poses, etc.  Modeling is also very time consuming!  

When I created this new avi, I knew I wasn't going to model this time because I wanted to have more of a second life.  I wanted time to do things outside of fashion,  which was hard when juggling several fashion shows.  

I dont really know, there usually quite famous around the grid and people enjoy hearing from and seeing them. Times has changed, am i rite ?

Miserlie wrote:

I dont really know, there usually quite famous around the grid and people enjoy hearing from and seeing them. Times has changed, am i rite ?

I'm pretty sure that just like any other area, models are only "famous" within their own community. By community, I mean people interested in that topic. I don't think the general public has any more interest in hearing from them, or interest in their modeling, than they would any other person. Just like some builders are very well known by many creators. Some scripters are very well known by the scripting community, etc. Models fall into that category too. They may be well known in that community, but outside of it, not nearly as much. I've run across more people that have no interest in fashion and modeling than I have that are interested. There were times when it was more popular in the past, but it's not nearly as popular as it once was.

I have quite a few friends who model. Some have been doing it since 2005/2006. They'd be the first to tell you, don't consider it a day job. It's likely you won't profit much, especially in the beginning. The people who do, are very few and far between. Or they don't consider all of their costs into their calculations, which is sometimes the case. They get a new skin or a new overall look, and like it, so they don't consider it an expense related to being a model. Even if that was the reason they bought it. Which makes sense to me, whether or not I agree, it does make sense.

You would start by getting as many nice things in as many styles as you can, hopefully free or cheap since you won't make money to start.

Then you hope to find creators who either dislike to or are too busy to model for their own ads with their own alts.

I don't know but I hear it's fraught with some of the same 'scams' as real life modeling i.e. pay for pix, pay for lessons, and then wait.........

and wait...................