Adverts now on marketplace GRRR

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3932 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I dont know what Linden Labs are thinking but now on Marketplace there is Adverts at the top of the page and the side making it look like a cheap freebie site. Are Linden Labs that desperate for money that they have to do this? You dont see ebay or amazon do it. Come on LL get rid of them people actually spend money on marketplace. 

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those ads are very sensible from LL's point of view. It's free money for them, and there's nothing wrong with that. eBay may not put affiliate ads on their site but all manner of brand sites put them on. It's very normal and sensible, and doesn't make a site "look like a cheap freebie site".

eBay does it the other way round. Their affiliate ads appear on loads of sites. Some years ago, they contacted me to put ads on one of my sites, offering £5 for every registration that came from my site. Since then, they changed to do it the normal way, and use an affiliate ads center instead of chasing spots on sites themselves.

Ok idk about anyone else but I can't even check out of MP now cause the advert cover my checkout side!!!! Grrrrr I am so now impressed!! Is anyone else having this issue and if so can you please im me in game and tell me how to get rid of it so I can checkout the items i want to buy ty. And a big Freakin GRRRRRRRR to LL!!!

I have issues with the adds too. If you check marketplace on your phone, youll see that those adds cover half of the screen, making the use of the page way less comfortable. As a merchant my issue is also that they did not told merchants they were going to do this. LL labs recieve 10% of each sale at marketplace, so I guess we should at least by courtesy be told about this new add thing, since it does afect us merchants, and we are paying to use that site.

Sathya Breil wrote:

I have issues with the adds too. If you check marketplace on your phone, youll see that those adds cover half of the screen, making the use of the page way less comfortable.
As a merchant my issue is also that they did not told merchants they were going to do this. LL labs recieve 10% of each sale at marketplace, so I guess we should at least by courtesy be told about this new add thing, since it does afect us merchants, and we are paying to use that site.

There you are. A silver lining that makes people use SL stores :)

Unfortunately, SL stores can't be visited on phones so it's not much of a silver lining.

According to yesterday's blog, "... [Linden Lab] recently added some banner ads to SecondLife.com. Today, we’ve also added them to the Marketplace, and we’ll soon expand the program to other Second Life web properties as well. The placement of these ads is designed to be unobtrusive, as we don’t want them to interfere with your Second Life experience..."

So there you have it, the Marketplace is only the second of many places we will start seeing banners added to our SL experience. The unobtrusive part I have doubts about though. I am not a marketing genius, but isn't the goal of buying ads to get them put in the most obtrusive places possible? Even I know that from advertising my little Second Life shops!

Speaking of marketing, this made me think of a new Linden Lab slogan: "Going the way of Zynga since 2012!"

valerie Inshan wrote:

Let LL do their business. You are not FORCED to see these ads:

*adblock link*

Just a forewarning, adblock is against the ToS of many websites and it is just wrong. People who use adblock are essentially robbing their favorite websites of revenue which is needed to keep going. Of course there is a boundary between tasteful ad use and what not, but there is nothing wrong with a few banner ads or square ads to the side. At least the Marketplace isn't throwing pop ups and sound files in your face or forcing you to answer surveys with each download.

If you are saying that blocking the ads being against the ToS is nonsense, I agree with you. You are right. But if you are saying that the idea that there is nothing wrong with banner ads is nonsense, then you are wrong. You didn't say which part of the post you think is nonsense.

Phil Deakins wrote:

If you are saying that blocking the ads being against the ToS is nonsense, I agree with you. You are right. But if you are saying that the idea that there is nothing wrong with banner ads is nonsense, then you are wrong. You didn't say which part of the post you think is nonsense.

Former part.

A TOS can't dictate how I view a website, that's absurd. It can dictate how I use that sight that directly impacts it's main purpose....so, for the marketplace it's main purpose is to provide a place to buy & sell virtual goods. Blocking 3rd party ads does not interfere with that.  The site can also take measures to prevent me from viewing the site if I don't meet certain requirements but this is a site that generates revenue for LL, I highly doubt they want to limit it's visitors.

I have no issue with actual merchant ads, I actually want to see those.

3rd party ads on a site suck, I think we get bombarded with enough marketing in our daily lives.

In any event, after a quick skim through the MP TOS there's no mention of "you have to disable ad blockers". Again, that would be pretty silly.

I don't know.  From a business standpoint I can see where Linden Labs is coming from.  But I also agree with the person who posted this.  When I saw ads on the Marketplace I was instantly annoyed.  It does look like a cheap freebie site.

Here's my two cents.  Ads are cool, they're okay, I'm fine with them.  If LL wants to use ads on the Marketplace, then I'm all for it. 

But right now?  It looks tacky as sin.  Its another half effort on their behalf.  If you're going to run ads at least integrate them into the page.  Help them to blend in a little instead of riding the top and right side header of the page.  Right now it just looks so out of place and aweful.

However, I do think its a cool feature that they opened up.  Because with it, if merchants want to post ads that way, they can. Think of the resources it opened up for bloggers and store owners a like?

I'd just like to see it done a little bit better...

Guilliaume wrote:

valerie Inshan wrote:

Let LL do their business. You are not FORCED to see these ads:

*adblock link*

Just a forewarning, adblock is against the ToS of many websites and it is just wrong. People who use adblock are essentially robbing their favorite websites of revenue which is needed to keep going. Of course there is a boundary between tasteful ad use and what not, but there is nothing wrong with a few banner ads or square ads to the side. At least the Marketplace isn't throwing pop ups and sound files in your face or forcing you to answer surveys with each download.

Please, please please please tell me that you're not even pretending to be serious. There are so many false statements in this.

1. How many websites even HAVE a tos? And since when can they dictate how you view a website?

2. Define robbing. I define it as taking without permission. To view a website with ads blocked is not removing anything from anyone else's posession. It is not copying intellectual property. It is not depriving anyone of anything. If you see the ad and just don't click, then the effect to the website is exactly the same as if you've never seen it.

3. Nobody dictates to me that I need to see their offers. Nobody. Anything that I do not specifically request is a form of spam. There is no law that a person must put up with anything unsolicited. I absolutely resent the fact that ad agencies are allowed to put things on other people's computers. It is not those who block that unsolicited content that are wrong.

That being said, it's scary what can be done in the name of advertising. How traced people are. How much data is being collected and sold about individuals just so that some corporatiion can pretend to be more successful. Banner ads are annoying, but it seems that every other way advertisers get to you on the internet is far worse.

16 wrote:

google just now banned ad blocking apps from the google play store. seems they not very happy about that

lol (:

Who cares? It's Android and not iOS. Simply sideload it from another appstore or install the APK file manually (if available).

This is a general response to the posts in this thread, and not to anyone in particular.

There are some idiotic - repeat, idiotic - posts in this thread - some really stupid posts. Here are some facts...

1. Nobody has to use any website if they don't like what's on it. If you dislike the ads so much, don't use the pages where they appear. There are alternatives for shopping.

2. What is on a website is the sole business of the owner(s), and nobody ele's business at all - not yours and not mine.

3. The ads are placed in out-of-the-way spots, so they don't interfere with anyone's use of the pages in the SL website.

4. If they were integrated into the pages, as someone suggested, they would impinge on people's viewing of the site, so for that person they would be worse.

5. To those who object to the ads, get over it. It's neither your business nor your concern. Nobody is making you use the site.

6. The ads are not ugly by any stretch of the imagination. They are not designed for any particular website, so they don't match any particular website. They are certainly not designed  specifically for the SL website. If you don't realise that, then you don't know what the ads are - so get to know what they are before posting idiotic comments about ugliness.

7. If you really want to use the site and not see the ads, do as had been suggested - use an ad blocker.

Wow. 

I hadn't even really noticed the ads that much as they really are not intrusive or annoying. Ads bring in revenue. Revenue can only benefit SL., which is a good thing. With so many companies across the world closing and the economy so bad in so many places, kudos to LL for coming up with a way to bring in money rather then ending basic accounts and forcing people to pay or get out, raising tier fees or membership fees, or increasing the amount they take from merchants for allowing them to use their site to sell their stuff. I really hope the ads work for them. For those who don't like it..shop in-world or stop shopping. :matte-motes-wink:

Ansariel Hiller wrote:

16 wrote:

google just now banned ad blocking apps from the google play store. seems they not very happy about that

lol (:

Who cares? It's Android and not iOS. Simply sideload it from another appstore or install the APK file manually (if available).

google probably care. the Google board would have kittens if the headlines end 2013 read:

what the 3 top most downloaded apps for Google Android on the Google Play Store? apps that block Google Ads

shame! (:  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3932 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.