Alternate viewer to test merchant outbox bug

Herkimer Highmist

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3140 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The most recent comment from WEB-4600 suggests installing and trying this project viewer in order to test WEB-4659.

• WEB-4659 has been open for almost a year. Why has it taken so long for LL to resolve this issue, when both the root cause and the solution have been known of almost as long as the bug has been opened? (In light of things like this 4.5 year-old bug, should we consider ourselves lucky that it's only taken a year for WEB-4659?)
  • Is an entire project viewer necessary to test for such a simple solution? The official Linux viewer has had a broken merchant outbox the entire time. What will it hurt if it's still broke in the official viewer?
  • Just where are people testing this supposed to provide any kind of feedback, given the JIRA is uneditable?

I have the same amount of interest in providing LL free Q/A services as I have Microsoft in the past - ZERO, ZILCH, NADA. My store has been converted to DD for awhile now, and I've written off the official viewer for using the merchant outbox., so I have no motivation to install an entirely separate viewer just to test out a feature that's worked in the TPVs almost as long as this bug has been opened. If I did have a pressing need for this and wanted to volunteer my time, the current policy of secrecy with the JIRA completely discourages participation, because I would have no idea if other people are seeing the same results I am, even on bugs I can view like WEB-4600 (of course, I can't even view the newer BUG-xxxx defects). If LL wants community participation, then they need a better approach to controlling their defect tracker than the secrecy they've currently chosen to implement. And for chrissakes, stop making complete viewer projects to test minor defects!

well about the merchant outbox viewer, ive seen here in the forum, some witness statements that it doesnt work either (at least for the ones who came and testified about it). So obviously the feedback should be bad and they'll have to find another solution. 

Maybe if you could write yourself a script for using the merchant outbox with linux, you can help those who still can't do it.

About the Jira, you made a great point. They changed it while SL was about to join Steam. We had huge intuitions it was for the Steam users dont see the big mess about LL management. 

Unfortunately, nowadays, this JIra is not so helpfull that it could be in the past. Now since you cant add your case to other Jiras (except some (sunset) who are exceptions), you have to add your own, then what they do ? They come later to tell you they close it bec its a duplicate, so you cant add any new comments. they send you to the supposed original one, where, again, you cant add any comment, and, on top, they tell you to see there for updates and guess what ? they are NO updates there...

LL created a new definition for "update" : the no-update....

It often let me speachless....

Trinity Yazimoto wrote:

well about the merchant outbox viewer, ive seen here in the forum, some witness statements that it doesnt work either (at least for the ones who came and testified about it). So obviously the feedback should be bad and they'll have to find another solution.

Maybe if you could write yourself a script for using the merchant outbox with linux, you can help those who still can't do it.

As many people in the original JIRA pointed out, the linux merchant outbox problem is caused by a versioning issue with a dependency. It's not a coding issue, it's configuration and release management - best industry practices that I seriously doubt LL utilizes. If LL still hasn't fixed it in that project viewer by now, they should be embarrassed, and using TPVs with working merchant outbox is the only solution until then.

I don't know about hiding anything from the Steam folks (or investors in general). A minimal amount of due diligence would show the weekly number of JIRAs opened plummet when LL made that change, and investors would know without a doubt that the process and/or system was changed recently. I'm not saying LL didn't do exactly what you said, just pointing out the futility of doing so. I'm certain we all agree that LL is not known for making the best decisions.

At least now people aren't using the JIRA for flame wars - mission accomplished by LL there! Unintended consequences? No way, not here under the sand!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3140 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.