Nothing loads - Tried all viewers - All settings - Please help

Laus Uxlay

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3149 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have tried almost every possible viewer I can think of

V2, Phoenix, Firestorm, Exodus, Singularity, etc.

All of a sudden a few days ago, everything stopped loading and working.

Mesh doesn’t load – nothing at all. When I try to select a mesh object, it shows the bounding box for the mesh object but not the actual mesh object.

My internet browser does not load any pages, keeps loading -- This happens when I am trying to fix this issue in any of the browsers I listed above.

I have changed / lowered graphics settings, checked LOD settings, minimized draw distance, cleared caches, rebaked, changed bandwith setting

even deleted the appdata folder for SL

What else can I do??! Please help!!

You've been inworld for quite a long time, I mean as a resident of Second Life.  If you've always been using the same computer, and everything has been working pretty nicely so far, then as you say suddenly things won't load, it really does suggest perhaps internet service problems, which is what I would be inclined to check first.

When you start tweaking things like LOD, removing odd files here and there, it can start to feel like there's a kitten in the room with a ball of wool. It becomes further entangled.

So, in lieu of further information from you about your computer's specifications and set-up, in your shoes I would start by checking internet connection.

If internet connection is stable and of good speed, I would then go on to check graphics card drivers are up-to-date.

Also some computer maintenance might be in order - it might (might) just be your hard drive is getting very full after all these years. Remove any unnecessary programs that you no longer use. Save videos, photographs, valuable data onto separate media storage (DVDs/USBs/ external hard drive), carry out a disk cleanup and then a defragment.

I agree that the problem description seems almost certainly network-related. I would recommend following Thinkerer's checklist, with an initial focus on the network stuff (especially rebooting the router and/or modem, and making sure the Google DNS servers are either first or second choice--relying solely on an ISP's DNS is just asking for trouble... and making sure nothing has changed in any firewall settings).

A generally stable and fast network connection does not ensure decent connectivity to any specific destination.

The bad part of that is that ISPs are capable of throttling traffic for specific destinations--or even specific packet content for specific destinations... and the symptoms here seem so network related that I'd suspect the ISP is doing something naughty if the problem isn't fixed by the local network resets and configuration checks.

Thanks to all of your suggestions. I have been active in SL for a while now, I have never had issues to this extent.

As per most of your suggestions, I will check in wth my ISP and my connection again, I will post my findings here once I get an answer from them, hopefully.

Good luck to you, Laus.

It will be most helpful if you do return to your thread and let us know of any developments.

Just another point regarding internet services. I personally find my internet connection becomes very problematic at certain times of the day, because of the sheer number of other broadband users that share my branch of the service. Maybe this is what has happened. 

Anyway, by a process of elimination, I am sure you will be able to discover what exactly is ailing you at this point in time.

Yes, the worrying part about ISPs is how much they appear to lie when giving information to their customers. I got fobbed off by mine, who said I had not enough available ram! That did not however tally, because I happened to acquire a brand new laptop, with 8Gb of ram, and still had exactly the same network problems.  So I do agree with you about the naughty things ISPs get up to being rather a possibility in the case of our OP here.

I don't venture into Thinkerer's website; I know other people are quite happy to do so, but I really do not think it is appropriate for people seeking help via the forums to be redirected to a third party website.  It becomes like a treasure hunt, and sometimes the outside websites do contain some out-of-date information and misinformation.  Here on the forums/Answers, I would hope the information given is as fresh and up-to-date as possible, and from our genuine first hand experience.

Qie Niangao wrote:

I agree that the problem description seems almost certainly network-related. I would recommend following Thinkerer's checklist, with an initial focus on the network stuff (especially rebooting the router and/or modem, and making sure the Google DNS servers are either first or second choice--relying solely on an ISP's DNS is just asking for trouble... and making sure nothing has changed in any firewall settings).

A
generally
stable and fast network connection does not ensure decent connectivity to any
specific
destination.

The bad part of that is that ISPs are capable of throttling traffic for specific destinations--or even specific packet content for specific destinations... and the symptoms here seem
so
network related that I'd suspect the ISP is doing something naughty if the problem isn't fixed by the local network resets and configuration checks.

The ISP's do often fail to explain clearly how they work and in a way hide what actions they may take behind phrases like "we may do things to ensure the network runs smoothly."

I was once told by a DSL service I was using, where distance from the trunk (I  think that is the correct word) can affect your speed, that if I was getting 1/2 the advertised maximum speed that they did not consider it a problem.

Odd thing was I had a 3 gig plan and was only getting 1 1/2 gigs. So to save money I dropped down to the 1 1/2 gig plan if that was the best speed I could get.  And wound up averaging just under 1 gig.  Go figure!

• 4 weeks later...

I acctually did. At least i think i did... Right now i have a 4MB internect connection ADSL speed, its not the best, but it has been working for a long time, today i have formated my computer to try and solv this issue thinking it might be relating to any but or problem on my software. And so far i cant still load my inventory, or when i do i cant rezz mesh or the other way around... so i am confused now... anyways i will try and turn off the HTTP again, if i remember where. Thank you all for the replys.

Firestorm 4.3.1 (31155) Dec  2 2012 00:45:37 (Firestorm-Release) with Havok support
Release Notes

You are at 200,388.0, 324,836.0, 21.7 in Katana Isles located at sim9828.agni.lindenlab.com (216.82.45.162:13001)
Second Life Server 13.03.22.272563
Error fetching server release notes URL.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Processor (2812.67 MHz)
Memory: 8191 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit  (Build 7600)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 570/PCIe/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 9.18.0013.1422
OpenGL Version: 4.2.0

RestrainedLove API: (disabled)
libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/1.0.0d zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.1
J2C Decoder Version: KDU
Audio Driver Version: FMOD version 3.750000
Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)
Voice Server Version: Vivox

Settings mode: Firestorm
Viewer Skin: firestorm (grey)
Font Used: Deja Vu (96)
Draw distance: 776
Bandwidth: 1300
LOD factor: 4
Built with MSVC version 1600
Packets Lost: 6/2,585 (0.2%)

• 2 years later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3149 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.