What should i do with my avatar when I exit Second Life?

BettyAnnH

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4057 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

8 answers to this question

That's a very good metaphysical question for those of us who are immersed in this world.  It used to worry me too.  Think of logging off as sending your avatar into an out of body experience until you log back in again.  She's still floating around quietly in SL somewhere, in a sort of limbo, waiting for you.  Well..... not really, but it makes me feel better than thinking that my av vanishes into thin air when I abandon her for my alternate life in RL. :smileywink:

Welcome aboard, Betty!

If you are asking about what to do with your avatar each day when you log out, it's truly a matter of personal preference. During my first week in SL, I looked for unoccupied places to "park" myself when logging out. I didn't do this because I thought my avatar would remain standing where I left her, being gawked at by others, but because I didn't want to log-in the next time possibly in the middle of a populated area. I was doing my part to maintain a reality in which people don't just appear out of thin air.

I eventually found a barge floating in a canal somewhere. For the next month or so, I logged in and out and changed clothing on the bottom of that canal, under the barge. I still smile over that. So, if you want to enter and exit SL as inobtrusively as possible, I'd move to an out of the way spot before logging-out. As you become more comfortable here and make friends, I'm sure you'll find suitable "home bases" out of which to operate. Perhaps you'll eventually get a home of your own and use that as your portal between SL and RL.

We all faced this question upon entering SL and we all found different answers. However you do it, I hope you have fun!

Maddy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4057 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.