New Mesh Avatar Hybrid

Charolotte Caxton

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3681 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The tears do look very cool, but I wonder who they're making all this for?  Machinimists and photographers, surely, but we also have a laundry list of other features we could really use ( maybe an open mouth, speaking mouth, tongue, configurable vowel sound/lip positioning to make an avatar "speak" to a voice track instead of just flapping their lips, etc. ).

But everyone else I know never cams in close enough to appreciate this sort of thing.  Everyone I know leaves their cam at social level distance and sometimes much further out to get away from the lag so they can concentrate on text.

Still, it's progress and very much in the right direction.

Janelle Darkstone wrote:

The tears do look very cool, but I wonder who they're making all this for?  Machinimists and photographers, surely, but we also have a laundry list of other features we could really use ( maybe an open mouth, speaking mouth, tongue, configurable vowel sound/lip positioning to make an avatar "speak" to a voice track instead of just flapping their lips, etc. ).

But everyone else I know never cams in close enough to appreciate this sort of thing.  Everyone I know leaves their cam at social level distance and sometimes much further out to get away from the lag so they can concentrate on text.

Still, it's progress and very much in the right direction.

I think it is made for anyone who appreciates beauty and what is possible. I always use my camera to look at everything around me, there are tons of tiny details hidden in plain sight by creators in Second Life. I also like when I am talking to someone for my eyes to be looking at the avatars face, even though I guess most of the time they don't really know I am consciously doing so. Beauty is in the details, I think, and this is, like you said, just another step in the right direction. 

Yeah, right now this is only one of a small number of hybrid mesh avatars that have been created, and the range of options is mostly limited to skin, eye, and make up tones, but with enough time there may be enough variety that someday there will be one you like that is unique enough from the rest and not so cute. I like the video because it shows what is possible. 

it just a prototype at the moment that the creator is playing with. like working out how the meshes and textures can work together

when is all worked out and if it ever comes to market then will be able to get all kinds of dif textures/meshes for it. most probably

16 wrote:

it just a prototype at the moment that the creator is playing with. like working out how the meshes and textures can work together

when is all worked out and if it ever comes to market then will be able to get all kinds of dif textures/meshes for it. most probably

It comes out on March 15

http://www.charolottecaxton.com/2013/03/new-mesh-avatar-hybrid-nea.html

That is a link to my blog in case anyone does not want to click on it.

Yeah, my hope is that someday we will have a complete mesh avatar complete with its own hair and clothes that will look super realistically cute, with animations designed for it so that every simple nuance and gesture will look like you are actually doing it, like closing your eyes and taking in a deep breath smiling, or picking up a pebble, or stuff like that, stuff we take for granted that in SL would be miraculous. I am confident it will be done. 

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

That's what I like most about it, that it shows what is possible now and is very promising for the future.

It is by Snow Rabbit.

ya i went to youtube and got the name and started getting detective on her hehehe

it seems she has been making these for a little bit..

she has lots of great work..some of the best i have seen for avatars so far..

the little expressions videos she has on her site are really neat..i like how she is working on such detail..

and such beautiful avatars as well..

i look forward to what she keeps doing in the future..

she is on the final fantasy level of artist with avatars..advent children x 11ty good hehehe

Syo Emerald wrote:

I just wish she had a face I like....

I'm not really a fan of all this "omg-look-at-me-I'm-soooo-f***ing-cuuuuuteeeee!" skins and shapes. :catindifferent:

i think what will happen is this..

like many things in a market..you get the treand setters that push the bar up more..in turn it pushes those in the market to up the level as well..

that and new creators show up as well that have really great talent..

hopefully there will be variety of more creators at a level like this sooner than later..

i'm sure we will get a lot that follow close to the trend setter..but there will be a lot that push their own styles as well..

i'm looking forward to the next generation of avatars..

there will be very good variety to come in the future..if history in the market sticks to doing the same in the future.

=)

You know, I'm not typically a fan of mesh avs, for all kinds of reasons.

This av...is really beautiful and well done, imo. I like it. There are a couple things I would probably opt for, assuming they were available. One would be little to no makeup at all. I hate it in rl. I was actually going to get a brand new skin, sans makeup, but, alas, rl it knows me too well. Medical junk isn't nearly as fun as sl toys, lol. But, I still plan on getting one anyway, eventually. Her makeup isn't too overdone, or whatever you want to call it, which is what made me think of that, lol. The other thing I'd change is the mouth. I couldn't tell from that video what sort of options the mouth would have, other than lipstick. Like can you make it turn a bit more upwards and not down, stuff like that. I guess it's too early to make that kind of judgment call, or maybe it's in the link I didn't read. I'll go back and read it, cuz I am fascinated lol. But the mouth looks a bit sad, and I don't like the sad look. I never have.

All in all, I am impressed. Of course it doesn't take much to impress me. I'm having one hell of a time with mesh and trying to figure it out. There's probably a reason why blind folks like me don't create content like that, and take weeks to make any other content. Sometimes I have a hard enough time with the stuff I make as it is, and mesh is just throwing me under the bus left and right. Sorry, been fighting with my meshes again-mini-rant over. I really like this av and would love to have one like it once it's made available. It's really pretty and so well made. I know, I said I'm easily impressed, and I really am. But the things people can do, and do..uh..do, in sl, it just amazes me. To make something awesome out of nothing at all. Sigh. Ok, I'll stop blubbering and go read the page. My hat is off to this creator, stunning work.

If nothing else, seeing other creators' work just pushes me towards learning more, trying more and pushing my own limits to see what I can manage. Even if what I make never makes it's way to sl...like about 85% of what i create, lmao.

Jenni Darkwatch wrote:

I'd be curious how much impact this has on viewer lag, i.e. how hard it is on the render engine.

from what i have noticed myself..without any meters or anything..

when mesh is done correctly..it really is much smoother than the sculpts..

i've never really had a problem with mesh rezzing slow or anything..

oh wait there was the other day..i went to a sim that had one of those megabyte meters that i guess give off your impact to the sim or to others or whatever they do..

i've never really done well on those meters hehehe

i woudl always be wearing a lot of prim clothes or sculpts..

always hit the red zone or top of the charts  or right up there somewhere lol

anyways..i was wearing all mesh with no sculpts or prim clothes..

mesh boots mesh hair mesh belt and top and bleh a few more things..i forget hehehe

anyways..i was only at like 1.6 mb

i actually cringed as i turned to see what it would be..then i was like..omg  is all my stuff rezzed?

this can't be right?

1.6 mb? i mean i wear huds of all kinds as well..more than i really need to be wearing really hehehe

anyways..i was  like..ok i have a reputation to uphold..must go put on more stuff!! hehehe(kidding)

when i used to have my sim..i had sculpt versions of caves on there and mountains..and it felt really laggy..

then seen the mesh ground cover and cave sets and switch them out..and the difference was night and day...

i think a lot comes down to how well the mesh is made as to how good or bad the impact will be..

just like with sculpts and prims..

but i think when all are made well..mesh will have the least impact..

from the look of the avatars face..they seem to be made very well..

so i'm hoping the impact will be very small..

i'm not an expert on all this impact stuff..

just going on about things i have noticed when using mesh myself..

Very impressive work and it is probably a window on the future of avatars but how far in the future remains to be seen.  There are several things at this point that would make me not interested in getting one myself, and I am sure others may feel the same.

This avatar appears to be less than 16 years old to me,  Way to young.  But even if a number of models were available reflecting different maturity levels, you are still going to end up looking like everyone else that buys the model you buy.  I value the fact that my avatar is as unique as I am in RL.  Now if you could control the head shape and features similar to the way the appearance sliders work to make it truly unique looking, and there was a very large selection of skins I might be more enthusiastic.

I don't really want to have to click buttons to show expressions or emotions, while interacting with other avatars.  I question if the effect is worth the extra effort it would take as well what the effect on lag would be.  I don't think other people would notice it much in general, particularly subtle things  and I don't watch myself so it wouldn't add much to my SL experience.  Now if this could eventually be hooked into some type of controller that mimics your RL expression, that might be a different ball game.  But I don't see that happening anytime soon

Still, all in all its beautiful work and the creator is to be commended for pushing the envelope.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

Very impressive work and it is probably a window on the future of avatars but how far in the future remains to be seen.  There are several things at this point that would make me not interested in getting one myself, and I am sure others may feel the same.

This avatar appears to be less than 16 years old to me,  Way to young.  But even if a number of models were available reflecting different maturity levels, you are still going to end up looking like everyone else that buys the model you buy.  I value the fact that my avatar is as unique as I am in RL.  Now if you could control the head shape and features similar to the way the appearance sliders work to make it truly unique looking, and there was a very large selection of skins I might be more enthusiastic.

I don't really want to have to click buttons to show expressions or emotions, while interacting with other avatars.  I question if the effect is worth the extra effort it would take as well what the effect on lag would be.  I don't think other people would notice it much in general, particularly subtle things  and I don't watch myself so it wouldn't add much to my SL experience.  Now if this could eventually be hooked into some type of controller that mimics your RL expression, that might be a different ball game.  But I don't see that happening anytime soon

Still, all in all its beautiful work and the creator is to be commended for pushing the envelope.

I am like minded..  But, impressed nonetheless.

• 1 year later...

the current LL avatars are hundred times more attractive than the horrible mesh ones seen in sl ... think performance improvement is a lot more important than adjusting the avatars, AND you can make the adjustments yourself if you like the mesh add ons.

I know for myself i don't like to look like all my neighbours... differences and adjustments in mesh are too less to make individuals.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3681 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.