Surveys

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4062 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Trinity Yazimoto wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Trinity Yazimoto wrote:

Now Phil... im deeply, but really depply in love with you :heart:

Woot!!!!!!!  You can bake his cake. *Grins*

*Strolls off merrily to attend to pressing Redhead-related business*

ahhahahahhah Czari... do you think he can handle a redhead and a brunette at same time ? :smileywink:

No "same time" to it - I have handed the cake-baking off to you, being that you're in love with Phil and all that. ;)  A cake from someone with those sentiments would be much more appreciated I would think.  *Grins*

Perrie Juran wrote:

It was me who mentioned the spelling and grammar.  It wasn't not too long ago we even had someone working on a Doctoral Thesis that was full of errors and as I recall they had posted their credentials.  At best it assumed a familiarity, a buddy-buddy attitude with us that made me feel uncomfortable. 

Another thing that I believe happens here is that I don't think that the survey posters, having failed to do any background work, realize that on average they are talking to an older age group here.  So they again assume a familiarity that isn't best. 
What they can get away with in their pier group
they are not going to get away with with us.  We are going to expect a higher level of respect for both our time and our opinions.

(Emphasis mine)

Errr, that would be "peer group."  A "pier group" sounds like a fishing expedition.

I couldn't resist, Perrie. *Hugs*  I do agree with your post.

Perrie Juran wrote:

While we are on the subject, there is in this thread in the Merchants Sub Forum an example of a well done survey:

This is my all-time favorite survey request I've seen in the forums to date:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussion-Forum/Research-Recruitment-Notice-Personality-Type-and-Second-Life/m-p/1692935/highlight/true#M79661

This type of research is what I would expect from the level of education in which this person was involved.  This request included all pertinent information including the names and credentials of her research supervisor.

Once at the sim that had been set up for this research, there were a number of large signs that explained the thesis of the research and the methodology the researcher proposed to use to prove or disprove the thesis.  One was then instructed to enter a house that contained more signs with additional information and a way to agree to the terms of participating in the research.

It was very evident that this person had given a great deal of thought to this endeavor to the point of acquiring land in SL for this purpose.  I don't expect this same level for an undergrad. and certainly not for a high school student, but at least something resembling professionalism appropriate to the student level.

ETA: Re: the survey you referenced, Perrie, I found it interesting that the largest age group population who responded to the survey was in the 31-60 age group with 31-40 being the largest.  Of course we have to factor in that this was a survey of SL merchants and further narrowed to SL merchants who read about the survey on the forum or perhaps are members of a group, so this may not be indicative of the entire SL population, but I do think that the population tends toward the older side.  This would make sense for a variety of reasons, among them that the 16-20's age group are either in school, preparing for and seeking careers, marrying and starting families, etc.

I posted the following on the EQ forums in 2011 as a response to a thread titled "The Average Age of EQ Players":

####

Interestingly, I recently happened across this quote in a fashion magazine. I clipped the article but threw away the magazine so I can't say with certainty which one it is from, but this is the direct quote:

POWER PLAYS

Once dominated by adolescents, online games are getting a face lift and becoming relaxation and entertainment for a booming and trendy female demographic.

WHO'S GAMING: Women are venturing into the gaming world in record numbers. "According to our recent survey, 71 percent of women playing computer games are 40 and older," says Jason Kapalka, co-founder and chief creative officer of PopCap Games. The survey showed that 88 percent of female gamers said they play to relieve stress, and 74 percent identified mental exercise as a significant benefit.

WHY IT WORKS: The games plug into sporadic pockets of time, granting access to a virtual world that provides cognitive exercise. Progress saves automatically, eliminating the need to restart. According to psychologist and author Dr. Carl Arinoldo, "Casual nonviolent word and puzzle computer games can also develop new cellular brain connections, keeping the brain healthy, active, and vital."

So, at least of the female gaming population, 71 percent are 40+ according to this survey. From personal experience, I find this true. I first became involved in online chat rooms via IRC (Internet Relay Chat) shortly after the IBM Personal Computer was introduced in 1981. Those that I chatted with on a daily basis were my age or older. As the PC clones began flooding the marketplace, driving down the initial price of an IBM PC - approximately $7500+ with 128k RAM when first introduced - making a PC more accessible to less affluent clientele plus software becoming more sophisticated, it would make sense that those of us who were adults when the PC was first introduced and enjoyed being online would continue participating in various ways, one of which is gaming.

<snip>

I have been primarily a part of SecondLife the past 3 1/2 years. As SL is a virtual community and not a game, the age range is wide due to the vast amount of diverse content; however, due to the "adult nature" of some of the SL community, one previously had to be 18+ to join, with a separate teen grid for 12-18. That was changed about a year ago. The teen grid was closed, 16+ is now the new age limit, and everything overtly "adult" was moved to a separate region where one has to be age-verified to enter. Again, it could be due to the places I frequent in SL, but most of the people I encounter are minimally 35+ with most being older.

The mid-40's are among the youngest of the Baby Boomers; the oldest entering retirement age. This generation was also known as trend-setters. It stands to reason that this age demographic (in general) would have the interest, the income, and the time to engage in their chosen past times.

####

####

The mid-40's are among the youngest of the Baby Boomers; the oldest entering retirement age. This generation was also known as trend-setters. It stands to reason that this age demographic (in general) would have the interest, the income, and the time to engage in their chosen past times.

####

Not only that, there's a whole bunch of us them boomers!

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Trinity Yazimoto wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Trinity Yazimoto wrote:

ahhahahahhah Czari... do you think he can handle a redhead and a brunette at same time ? :smileywink:

No "same time" to it - I have handed the cake-baking off to you, being that you're in love with Phil and all that.
;)
  A cake from someone with those sentiments would be much more appreciated I would think.  *Grins*

I actually agree with you, Czari. I'm now waiting for a cake from the woman who loves me. Of couse, I will be *very* grateful :heart:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

It was me who mentioned the spelling and grammar.  It wasn't not too long ago we even had someone working on a Doctoral Thesis that was full of errors and as I recall they had posted their credentials.  At best it assumed a familiarity, a buddy-buddy attitude with us that made me feel uncomfortable. 

Another thing that I believe happens here is that I don't think that the survey posters, having failed to do any background work, realize that on average they are talking to an older age group here.  So they again assume a familiarity that isn't best. 
they are not going to get away with with us.  We are going to expect a higher level of respect for both our time and our opinions.

(Emphasis mine)

Errr, that would be "peer group."  A "pier group" sounds like a fishing expedition.

But isn't that what they are doing?  Fishing for information?

No doubt, they aren't catching any trophies hear.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

(Emphasis mine)

But isn't that what they are doing?  Fishing for information?

No doubt, they aren't catching any trophies hear.

Baziiiingg!!!  Good one!!

Dillon Levenque wrote:

I am always reluctant to use the 'Report Inappropriate Content' button, but I do think both of you, Czari and Perrie, should know that I have a very low threshold of pun.

Let it stop with this, please. Don't make me take action.

To be clear, mine was pointing out a spelling error.

As far as reporting inappropriate content, with all the nasty stuff I've read on the forums you would report this?  I hope  you were kidding.

Perrie Juran wrote:

While we are on the subject, there is in this thread in the Merchants Sub Forum an example of a well done survey:

Id like that you Perrie and VRprofessor, go back now to this thread... to see if this survey is so "well done" ...

just tell me what you think about how the result are never equal to at least 100 while they are percentages and about the answer this girl came to do while another poster and me made some comments and questions.

Do you still think its still well done ?

All the usual poster who comes and jump on the poor students that ask for surveys here .... why not going to tell you point of view there ? 

Do you think its relevant, one time you have all the surveys filled to come back to the helpers who ask for some clarification and tell them "if you want a better survey do it yourself or pay for one " ?

Ah yes... its so easier to jump on pp who are not used with the forum and are mostly younger than us... 

Phil Deakins wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Trinity Yazimoto wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Trinity Yazimoto wrote:

No "same time" to it - I have handed the cake-baking off to you, being that you're in love with Phil and all that.
;)
  A cake from someone with those sentiments would be much more appreciated I would think.  *Grins*

I actually agree with you, Czari. I'm now waiting for a cake from the woman who loves me. Of couse, I will be *very* grateful :heart:

Do not worrie, Phil, ive found lately an patisserie inworld.... my problem will be to choose lol.. there are tons of so great and mouth-watering pastries... i dont want you get an indigestion bec of me :smileyembarrassed:

Trinity Yazimoto wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Id like that you Perrie and VRprofessor, go back now to this thread... to see if this survey is so "well done" ...

just tell me what you think about how the result are never equal to at least 100 while they are percentages and about the answer this girl came to do while another poster and me made some comments and questions.

Do you still think its still well done ?

All the usual poster who comes and jump on the poor students that ask for surveys here .... why not going to tell you point of view there ? 

Do you think its relevant, one time you have all the surveys filled to come back to the helpers who ask for some clarification and tell them "if you want a better survey do it yourself or pay for one " ?

Ah yes... its so easier to jump on pp who are not used with the forum and are mostly younger than us... 

I didn't go through that whole thread.

I was primarily thinking about how thorough the Survey was.

Czari Zenovka wrote:

As far as reporting inappropriate content, with all the nasty stuff I've read on the forums you would report this?  I hope  you were kidding.

Yes, I was kidding, and I'm sorry I didn't make that clear. I should have put the wink smiley at the end or something. I was kidding about the RIC, that is. I am punphobic (I doubt that's a real word) and those who know that about me take endless advantage of it.

Every now and then I'll be with some of my smart-alec friends and one of them will pun about something, then they'll remember about me and just go on a tear. Unfortunately a lot of them are very clever and quick thinkers so they can really light it up. Terrible, just terrible.

I have occasionally discusssed research problems directly, but most of the time I limit my criticism to the failure of students to obtain proper informed consent--this is one of three basic ethical principles that is taught even at the undergraduate level.  (Informed Consent, Confidentiality, and approval by an institutional board--the absence of informed consent is symptomatic of a failure to obtain institutional approval.)

In the U.S. these ethical requirements are also legal requirements for every individual at any institution that obtains federal funding--which includes almost every college or university in the U.S.  (These requirements are also held in high regard by most colleges/universities in other countries as well.)

As I said in some thread somewhere the students we see on this message board will probably get no more than a slap on the wrist if they are caught violating these requirement.  But the potential for serious consequences is there.  Failing the paper, failing the course, getting kicked out of school are all within the realm of possibility. 

Many of the students we see are clearly not working under the direction of a faculty member--at least not one who is familiar with research protocols on human subjects.   If students are not working under the supervision of a faculty member we can pretty safely assume that no one is messing with the professor's instructions.  

Czari Zenovka wrote:

VRprofessor - I would love to chat with you in world sometime.  It sounds like we have similar experience, and opinions, on this topic.  Education is one of the passions of my life and I live meeting like-minded people in this respect.
:)

Looking forward to it.  

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Yes, I was kidding, and I'm sorry I didn't make that clear. I should have put the wink smiley at the end or something. I was kidding about the RIC, that is. I 
am
punphobic (I doubt that's a real word) and those who know that about me take endless advantage of it.

Every now and then I'll be with some of my smart-alec friends and one of them will pun about something, then they'll remember about me and just go on a tear. Unfortunately a lot of them are very clever and quick thinkers so they can really light it up. Terrible, just terrible.

Thanks, Dillon :)  I couldn't imagine you were serious about the RIC but without the smiley, we all know how plain text can be misinterpreted.  Again, many thanks for clearing that up. *Hugs* :)

(I'm not a big fan of puns myself.)

VRprofessor wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

VRprofessor - I would love to chat with you in world sometime.  It sounds like we have similar experience, and opinions, on this topic.  Education is one of the passions of my life and I live meeting like-minded people in this respect.
:)

Looking forward to it.  

Ack!  Spelling errors are plaguing me this week.  I meant to say I "love" meeting like-minded people....not "live." :matte-motes-bashful-cute:

Trinity Yazimoto wrote:

yes but as you can see, everything that is blinking is not forcely gold :smileyfrustrated:

It was not my intent to say that survey was perfect.  Rather it showed someone had attempted to put some thought into the questions etc.  It was not a cookie cutter survey. 

The OP in that thread did return and apologize for the reactive post they had made.

Perrie Juran wrote:

The OP in that thread did return and apologize for the reactive post they had made.

after such reactive and disrepectful comment, it was the less she could do, dont you think ?

Ive seen the OP of the other recent survey thread, come aswell and apologize (and so did a lot of other ones), nevertheless there was nothing to apoligize about..

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4062 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.