I am sure this has been asked many times before.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4056 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Jadeclaw Denfu wrote:

Solstyse wrote: "if I didn't read a number of posts by people who went into arrears, I wouldn't even know that it IS a problem. But I've seen it on the forums enough that it apparently does happen."

True.

If I ever need a premium account to own land, I would setup a second account especially for that

purpose only and then do the group thing with that account as group owner and my primary account

as group officer with admin rights. If anything would go wrong with payments, my primary account

would be safe from deletion.

When this issue came up years ago due to someone posting that their account was not available to them due to owing LL money, someone said they do just that - their Premium account av has nothing of value in inventory - it just holds the Premium account.  The main stays basic.

16 wrote:

the main advantage of Premium is that is cheaper than any other way to own/rent a same size land and get 300L a week combined.

Actually in my case it is not.  I rent an 1888 sqm mainland parcel.  I pay 2600L/mo which is $10.53 USD when I just plugged it into the Lindex.  Let's round it up to $11.00 USD.  That's it for the land.  That is a total of $132.00 USD/mo to rent the land.

To own the same amount of land, if I went Premium at the best rate, the yearly plan, I would pay $72.00 USD yearly or $6.00 USD/mo. 

Deduct the 300L per week which is 15,600L/year or approximately $63.16 USD/year rounding down to $63.00.  That means I would pay $9.00 USD for Premium.  So far so good..and again...this is at the best Premium rate; figures would change for monthly or quarterly plan.

The tier on an 1888 sqm parcel jumps to the 2048 sqm tier rate of $15.00/mo. USD = $180.00 USD year.  Add in the $9.00 for the Premium and my total yearly payment for the land I am currently renting woud cost $189.00 compared to $132.00 USD/year by renting or a savings of $48.00 USD/year which, for my financial situation, is a better savings.

Plus, this parcel is the corner of the sim and bordered on two sides by Linden ocean.  Despite all the abandoned mainlaind, protected ocean parcels still sell for quite a bit so I wouldn't be able to afford to purchase the particular parcel on which I live.  My landlord has owned this parcel probably since around 2006 and is a wonderful landlord!!  I have all rights to the land except selling it. ;)

My point is, one cannot make a blanket statement that going Premium is the only way to pay less for mainland.  It depends on parcel location and, if renting, what rent the landlord charges, etc.  Perrie had a similar example as mine, I believe, the last time we discussed this.  So, for me, I'm saving money on the identical parcel of land by being Basic renting.

16 wrote:

the cheapest way to have a 2048m if go Premium costs $US35.36 nett pa based on the L$ conversion you mention

you get 4 Premium accounts at $US288 minus 62,400L ($US 252.64)

Why in the world would I want to pay for 4 Premium accounts when I just demonstrated very clearly that I am saving money by being basic and renting the exact parcel I enjoy?   I don't want any ole 2048 parcel - I have lived on my current sim for 5 years and this parcel for most of that.

My point was, I personally, save money by renting this parcel as a basic than going premium to buy it.  I didn't even figure in the price of purchasing this land.  The last time the landlord put it up for sale, it was close to $400 USD.  He may or may not have sold it for that price but he really prefers to rent it out so I grabbed it when it became available again.  As I mentioned, this landlord is amazing and he gets very long-term renters.

you said: to own the same amount of land I would have to...

so I went off that

+

if cant apply tier to a land then is same as any rental. estate or mainland. being Premium then add to your costs. Premium only of value landwise if owning mainland or can apply tier to a group

edit: to make more clear what I mean

16 wrote:

more about the happy/unhappy

if spend time on any forums then can easy get funnel vision. mostly bc most posts on any forums are complaints or rant rage. so have to filter that a bit before forming a general view

I don't think any forum in the world does more to prove you right than this one. I'd be a liar if I didn't admit you're 100% right.

At the same time, like many other people, I'm someone who really needs something "sold" to them. I really only want things that people have convinced me is going to make my life better. I read reviews like crazy before I buy. I like to watch things in action. I like to see tests, reports, all kinds of things.I like to compare values.

So seeing the rants and complaints will have a huge effect on my decision. It may not be entirely fair, but in all honesty, I see myself as very typical, not as the exception. From that viewpoint, I'd say that LL's premium membership really could use a boost in public perception.

But for now, I'm a very satisfied basic member that happily spends more than I should on the marketplace :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4056 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.