What do I do if my prims suddenly vanish from my land?

Fidelity Quintessa

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4068 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I rented a piece of land and everything was fine until today.  Yesterday my rental box showed I was below my stated prim allowance, but today when I logged in it was way over my prim allowance. 

I immediately deleted all objects from the land but it still showed that I had 52 prims on the land.  So I vacated the rental land.  Luckily I did not have much time left on the rental and I did get a decent refund, but I am wondering what happened.

Maybe someone had come in and used prims that were not theirs.  Being new to renting, I discovered in the About Land box, that I had not checked any boxes under the 'options' tab, which bans people from doing certain things. 

Example:    Options Tab.

Allow other residents to:

Fly

Build

Object Entry

Run Scripts.

I wondered if I should have checked some of these boxes, and if so, which ones?

Fidelity Quintessa.

4 answers to this question

Unless you are paranoid about people being able to fly over your land, don't bother with that one.  For the others, though, you should almost never leave the Everyone box checked for Build or Object Entry.  Restrict those to your group only, or leave the boxes unchecked.  You'll get a lot of opinions about Run Scripts.  Turning that one off means that your visitors' AOs and other HUDs may freeze, which can be annoying.  On the other hand, it prevents some kinds of griefing (like self-replicating objects) to keep it turned off for anyone except you and maybe group members.  Personally, I leave it checked for everyone.

• Like 1

Why did you vacate the land?  There is no charge for using prims!  The landlord will have given you a maximum prim allowance, but he's not going to fine you for going over (though he will ask you to delete some prims to stay within your allowance.)  If you repeadtedly use more than your share, he might kick you off the land.

If there are some prims on your parcel that you can't seem to find or get rid of, ask your landlord for help in finding them and returning them to their owner (whether that is you, or someone else).

If you OWN the land, instead of renting it, you will be able to see more details about who owns which prims on your land.  You will also have the ability to return others' objects from your land.  (As a renter, your landlord may or may not grant you this ability.)  Also, if you own the land, your prim limit is automatically enforced...you can't rez more prims than your land allows.

As for the Access options...I would allow Fly, Object Entry, and Run Scripts, but not Build.  But these choices are up to you.

• Like 1

Hi there Lindal.

About my prim problem - the landowner answered me today. Apparently one of my neighbours had 'unintentionally' put some prims on my parcel. The landowner said not to panic and removed the offending prims.

I didn't tell them that I had got a message the day before from an apparent stranger, who told me they could see me doing things in my house and asked if they could join me.

I don't know if there's a connection there or not to my prims suddenly going overdrawn.

I did panic and vacated the land, but it doesn't matter as I was looking for a bigger parcel anyway. Better luck next time eh?

Perhaps creating ban lines or not allowing object entry might help.

I don't know how to stop that from happening again.

FidelityQuintessa

Please don't use ban lines. They are a blight on the landscape and, I think, rude to innocent visitors. Nobody can steal your stuff, and if you have the permissions set properly they can't move it either, and can't rezz they own garbage. Why should you care if they visit when you aren't there? If you don't want people bothering you during intimate moments when you ARE there, click the button in About Land than prevents them from seeing you unless they are standing in your parcel, and then buy a simple security device that gives a polite 10-second warning before ejecting them.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4068 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.